Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I had all kinds of problems after the newest update of High Sierra for mac. Spent hours yesterday restoring from my time machine. What a pain!

Good news is, I didn't have to rerecord my latest two songs for the current season thanks to icloud.

Hello lovelies!!!

Starting to recover from the flu. It's been too long. Terrible in fact.

I'm trying to come back to UU and be sassy with all the rest of you fine folks here.
oCuSHeTBdJjOmbLnuXmpPKam3tUUhch9eXIknIojBYc.png

lol! is that all she's having???

I dunno, you think maybe it's not enough?

In person I once saw what I thought was the largest wine glass ever, and it held like maybe a half-gallon or 1.5 litres, and back then, in the store it seemed huge, and I thought that with something like that, you might as well just drink directly from the bottle...750ml, 1 litre, 1.5 litre, and some around here you can get in 3 litre or 1-gallon (like Carlo Rossi Chianti)...

gave me a new understanding of the term 'wino' or 'wine-oh!' ha ha...

Nowadays, I dont drink wine much, but if I do, I like a Cabernet, Merlot or Shiraz, and if offered, will never turn away a glass of Robert Mondavi or Coppola in those varieties...(sic) yup :)

Welcome back, Booli. :)

Your absence was missed, by quite a few people actually, (hope all is well with your mother too).

Thanks very much for the kind words, Keith. Much appreciated. Mum is not great but she's a fighter and dragging along.

I noticed you mentioned something about getting a Zoom H1n, and wanted to let you know that a new model came out and was shown at the Winter NAMM 2018 trade show.

If you had not bought one yet, this new model might be better, since it adds a LIMITER function which will help with setting mic input level and tames the signal so you do not get overload or distortion in your recording.

see here: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h1n-handy-recorder

I have the older model that lacks this feature, but this would be very useful for our style of recordings, because the limiter helps tame the volume spikes (like from vigorous strumming) and keeps the sound more even. It is kind of like training wheels for learning about mic placement and how to set levels without overload.

Anyway...glad you seem to be doing well brother :)

I had all kinds of problems after the newest update of High Sierra for mac. Spent hours yesterday restoring from my time machine. What a pain!

Good news is, I didn't have to rerecord my latest two songs for the current season thanks to icloud.

Yea, Apple seems to be going off the rails lately with software quality. I'm still on Sierra on my Mac, but Garageband and iMovie both have serious problems lately - updates schmupdates!!!, and I've not monkeyed with anything since a fresh install of Sierra last May.

Thankfully I have full clone backups via 'Carbon Copy Cloner', and because I simply lack the time and patience to troubleshoot these issues -- Instead I'm going to wipe the drive, and do a fresh install of everything and then copy my home folder over from the backups, which sounds like a lot, but is much less effort than going down the rabbit hole and trying to fix things.

Moral of the story is that we should ALWAYS have a backup, somewhere, and for good measure a second backup just in case the first backup gets corrupted or becomes inaccessible....

Linda, I'm very glad you were able to get back up and running and did not lose any files. It can be really heartbreaking when you lose something that you created and spent hours working on, an then to find 'poof' it's just gone...

It was a toss up between the H1n & the H1, & I went with the H1. :)

I still don't seem to want to do any recording just now, it's winter, & that does seem to put the mockers on things for me, but once things start to warm up again, who knows. ;)

It was a toss up between the H1n & the H1, & I went with the H1. :)

I still don't seem to want to do any recording just now, it's winter, & that does seem to put the mockers on things for me, but once things start to warm up again, who knows. ;)

The H1 is still a great piece of kit. Very simple to use. I must be getting old, since 'simple' appeals to me more and more each day.

Good that you have one in hand, as it will be there when you are ready, just power it on and press record.

Easy-peasy :)

Ah la la la la la la la la la!!!!

Nobody here in this cave but me and the vampire bats.

oh well!

the echo sounds nice tho :)

Yea, Apple seems to be going off the rails lately with software quality. I'm still on Sierra on my Mac, but Garageband and iMovie both have serious problems lately - updates schmupdates!!!, and I've not monkeyed with anything since a fresh install of Sierra last May.

Thankfully I have full clone backups via 'Carbon Copy Cloner', and because I simply lack the time and patience to troubleshoot these issues -- Instead I'm going to wipe the drive, and do a fresh install of everything and then copy my home folder over from the backups, which sounds like a lot, but is much less effort than going down the rabbit hole and trying to fix things.

Moral of the story is that we should ALWAYS have a backup, somewhere, and for good measure a second backup just in case the first backup gets corrupted or becomes inaccessible....

Linda, I'm very glad you were able to get back up and running and did not lose any files. It can be really heartbreaking when you lose something that you created and spent hours working on, an then to find 'poof' it's just gone...

Well, because I learned the hard way and wised up because of your advice. This is the one time I was happy I did the icloud thing. I had my backup HD and Icloud to help out. I hadnt done a recent backup this month so icloud saved me on my vids.

My iMovie and Garageband were both acting up so I did the typical restart only to get stuck on the white apple screen :/
Getting the backups in play saved my butt!

backing up is very important. I recently had a hard drive die with my son's baby pictures on it. Luckily I gave an album to my brother a few years back with pics of him. I am just grateful to have something of him still.

as an aside, I put down the uke for a couple months since I got ill again and stored my uke under the desk. Somehow in the interim it looks like ice cream got spilled on the fretboard. I tried lemon oil but it wouldn't dissolve the stain. Any suggestions? :p

sorry about you having been ill - are you doing better now? i don't have a fix for the fretboard - i do have ukes with dinks, from my own mega-clumsiness, and with marks and chips from mad strumming. i've learned to love the lived-in uke look!

Top Bottom