Pistachio & Spruce Ukulele

sequoia

Reaction score
Pistachio and spruce tenor uke with rosewood binding. I've never worked with this wood before but I was pleasantly surprised. I also was not sure how I liked all that green and pink. Looks pretty cool finished out though. Pictures don't really pick up that pink and green. Much more vibrant in RL....Bends easy which surprised me a bit considering that wacky grain. A sweet wood and a sweet sounding little ukulele. Note: Didn't really smell like pistachio nuts when I worked it. Darn. I love pistachio nuts.

pistachio1.jpg

pistachio2.jpg

pistachio3.jpg

pistachio4.jpg

pistachio5.jpg

This is a great looking Uke, - I love a Uke with unusual woods :drool:

Great work, the back sure looks rich in color! I also like the simple design of the headstock.

Bob

Lovely and classic. How does the pistachio color the tone? What did you use to finish?

Not only the pistachio but I love the soundboard too. That grain has far more character than the fine grain stuff that everyone seems to be so obsessed about.

You know I remember a great debate going on in the guitar builders world many years ago about wide grain versus close grain in Sitka spruce tops. I wasn't a builder at the time, but the basic argument is that grain width doesn't matter in how the top sounds. Well I can tell you after building with both I don't agree. This is what I think: The difference is subtle, but I think all that open grain gives a more rounded sound across the octaves and the tight ass stuff is more focused and punchy. (Punchy? Give me a break). However, the people that buy acoustic instruments made with spruce like the look of tight, even grain and thus tight grain is the preferred wood for "master grade" etc. However, those in the know, like "ugly" wide grained spruce. Sweet.

Answering Hakuguu question on how pistachio colors the tone: Frankly I don't really know. This is an area that baffles me... The finish is number one blond shellac.

Doubt that fine or wide grain alters anything. Just measure the properties of the individual piece of wood - namely density and stiffness. Those are properties that are going to have a direct effect on the outcome. Fine grain, wide grain, colour streaks, uneven grain are all cosmetic. That's how tonewood is sold, mainly by cosmetic considerations. People have been conditioned into believing that fine grain = great tone, wide grain = poor tone. Just pure marketing crap. It's complete and utter nonsense.

That's some pretty looking pistachio on a pretty looking uke! I can make out the pinks and greens just fine with the brightness level set on high.

I believe that pattern is called Regency Spruce. It can also be called Pencil or Pinstripe, but you could call it anything you like if you keep using and marketing it. No different than Bearclaw Spruce, Windowpane Mahogany, or anything else out there.

Great work, the back sure looks rich in color! I also like the simple design of the headstock.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm going with the simple post modern proto-punk minimalist look with the squared off headstock. Right. One thing I can say is that it is a hell of lot easier than dealing with all those swirls and loop de loops I tried in the past. Kinda of a Talking Heads look was what I was going for. Either that or just laziness in not cutting the headstock with anything other than a square angle. I'm calling it the muffin head look or the eraserhead headstock. Patented!

You know I remember a great debate going on in the guitar builders world many years ago about wide grain versus close grain in Sitka spruce tops. I wasn't a builder at the time, but the basic argument is that grain width doesn't matter in how the top sounds. Well I can tell you after building with both I don't agree. This is what I think: The difference is subtle, but I think all that open grain gives a more rounded sound across the octaves and the tight ass stuff is more focused and punchy. (Punchy? Give me a break). However, the people that buy acoustic instruments made with spruce like the look of tight, even grain and thus tight grain is the preferred wood for "master grade" etc. However, those in the know, like "ugly" wide grained spruce. Sweet.

Answering Hakuguu question on how pistachio colors the tone: Frankly I don't really know. This is an area that baffles me... The finish is number one blond shellac.

and yet the most revered and expensive spruce, Adirondack, generally has wide grain.

I have a few thin scraps that look great I was considering using it as a head stock veneer, The test piece seemed to change color (green going to brown) when shellac was applied, did you experience something similar?

I have a few thin scraps that look great I was considering using it as a head stock veneer, The test piece seemed to change color (green going to brown) when shellac was applied, did you experience something similar?

Not really. The green stayed pretty green after shellac finishing... I sold that uke years ago and wonder if the green turned to brown. Who knows.

Revisited the pieces and ran an other test finish, almost no noticeable change. Must have cured in the last few years. Thanks I'm inspired to use it now.

Top Bottom