Using Kindle and Google Chrome - A Warning

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Long story short: Do no install a Chrome extension to copy your Chrome bookmarks to your Kindle.

I have all my uke music on several Kindles, and I thought it would be convenient to copy my bookmarks from Chrome to the Kindle. Looking online, I found directions, beginning with installing an extension for Google. I did that, but I didn't go any farther.

Shortly after that, my computer went crazy. When I clicked on something, a new web page would open, advertising something. In addition to that, little pop-up windows would pop up all the time.

I reinstalled Windows using the Reset feature. That didn't help. A few days later, I reinstalled Windows from the original disk. Didn't help. I noticed that I had the same problem with my iMac, so I knew it wasn't a Windows problem.

A friend suggested looking at my Chrome extensions. I turned off all but a few I use all the time, and the problem went away. I'm not 100% positive that it was the Kindle extension that caused the problem, but that was the last one I had installed.

Good advice.

Same thing when installing software, read the info on the splash screens, and avoid installing Google toolbar or any other add on such as AVG or Norton.

I have spent two days on my friends two laptops clearing all the Chrome, AVG & Norton rubbish plus Gb of bloatware programs.

He now has fast Laptops with plenty of free storage.

Yes, it seems that adding malware to Chrome Extensions has become commonplace. I never add anything on "invitation." If I think I need something, I go out on the net and look for it. And, even then I'm very cautious about it.

I absolutely love Firefox. Apple has made it so you have to go to the Mozilla website and download it from there.

Apple is trying to force apps to use Safari to connect to the web on the Apple Operating System OSX.

My software was locked by Microsoft and Adobe. My versions were too old and I was even threatened by Adobe that the third party extensions in PhotoShop were no longer used and I could be sued by the makers for continuing to use them. I had to update my Operating system to Catalina 10.15.3 because Apple stopped offering older OSX versions for download. My Norton AntiVirus kept blocking my installations—even though I had turned it off. I had to remove it and parts of it were still running after I took it off. It took me two months to install everything, update my peripherals' software. Reinstall the fonts I use. Try to find some of my calendar dates that were wiped out. Quite a few of my photography and graphics apps no longer work and updates aren't available. iTunes is no more. It's been broken into its parts. Making updating my iPhone, iPad & MacBook a PIA. Unless I use the iCloud. The only way I can copy my music CDs and burn a disk to keep in the car is creating new "Playlists" in Apple Music and try to judge if it will fit on a disk or not. Toast 18 does not work with Apple Music. I don't find much of anything Apple has done to be an improvement. Just forcing users to do things their way using their apps. They've gotten to be more like Microsoft every year. Pity, I've been using a Mac since the first ones came out. And, of course, Apple and the various app companies are now tracking everything I do on my computer. End of screed.

Oh year, I forgot why I started my comment: I installed Chrome on my Mac because I own a Peterson StroboPlus HD tuner. Peterson offers updates to the firmware and add-on sweeteners, but only using Chrome. Chrome screwed up my Mac and caused all sorts of havoc. And I started getting all kinds of "personalized" advertising even though I removed Chrome. Grrr!

Last edited:
Top Bottom