What's happening in your shed?

I'm posting this so it won't be thought I am copying. I have been working on this for a year. When I got to the etching I stalled. Both are directly borrowed from Alphonse MuchaIMG_0448.jpg obviously.

I've just been looking at the History of Alphonse..The number of illustrations he created in his lifetime is amazing and to think I've been looking at them for years in books, magazines and advertising, and I never knew who created them .. He Died the same year I was born...He inspired many young artists who followed in his style..like these
http://www.templates.com/blog/inspiring-illustrations-style-alphonse-mucha/

I'm posting this so it won't be thought I am copying. I have been working on this for a year. When I got to the etching I stalled. Both are directly borrowed from Alphonse MuchaView attachment 53426 obviously.

another real nice awesome piece....who is this Alphonse guy anyways.... :)

Manzanita build #4

Just putting the finished touches on my fourth from-scratch ukulele, this one manzanita and Incense Cedar. The design is pretty much cloned from the one we did in Rick Turner's class. Here are a few shots.

I sandwiched a thin slice of manzanita in the center of the neck, thinking it might help stiffen it a bit.
neck.jpg

Here's the braced soundboard attached to the neck.
neck and soundboard.jpg

A side view of the finished product.
sideview.jpg

The back is a book matched piece of manzanita.
back.jpg

The soundboard is Incense Cedar, a close relative of Western Red Cedar. Those little holes above the soundboard are from pecky rot. I tried to work around them, but decided they might work like f holes.
finished.jpg

Would like to hear that.

Making my radius dish for the ukulele. They was a slight breeze blowing the dust away.

I have a similar set up. My dish blank spins on a center pivot point as i move the router from the rim to the center. With a good 1/2" bit it takes no time at all. I use laminated butcher block rounds from Home Depot.

uke 003.jpguke 010.jpg Having a great time with an old friend, this shaper has been stored off site for too many years, very excited to be using it again. This is a different experience then the doors and windows I made for years with the power feed. I moved the clamp from the headstock to the arm to dimension both and leave a volute. The neck insert is done on another tool from my window days, a matchmaker horizontal mortiser. The neck cf insert, using what I had around. .020 cf on both sides of a maple stick.

Had a bit of an easy day in the shed. Just put the finishing touches to the install of a new DRO on my milling machine, and then spraying of some instruments for clients.

From left to right is a Milo and Ancient Spruce Concert, a Tiger Myrtle and Western Red Cedar Slot Head Tenor, a Blackheart Sassafras and Ancient Spruce Concert, and finally a Blackwood and Bear Claw Sitka Slot Head Tenor Pineapple.

Work In Progress 26-05-2013.jpg

Had a bit of an easy day in the shed. Just put the finishing touches to the install of a new DRO on my milling machine, and then spraying of some instruments for clients.

From left to right is a Milo and Ancient Spruce Concert, a Tiger Myrtle and Western Red Cedar Slot Head Tenor, a Blackheart Sassafras and Ancient Spruce Concert, and finally a Blackwood and Bear Claw Sitka Slot Head Tenor Pineapple.

View attachment 53535

Pardon my ignorance... what is DRO?

Good question. As Ken said, it stands for Digital Read Out, or DRO for short.

Milling Machine with DRO.jpg

Unless you are working with these things, you probably would never run across the term.

I looked at countless numbers of them from all over the place, and while there are ones you can find on ebay for less, I know some people that have bought them and had nothing but grief trying to decipher the less than English translations of the manuals. I decided that the learning curve was going to be steep enough, and that I wanted to be able to jump in and use the system without jumping through hoops and learning Chinglish. So I paid a bit more and got a 3 axis one from these guys.

Fantastic service from them and questions answered as best as can be expected when you live across the international date line. The manuals and video's are worth every penny extra over the bargain ones available.

Top Bottom