What's happening in your shed?

you are the king of sawdust, my friend. nice video by the way! :)
shawn
Yeh! Thanks Shawn ... but favourite troll has given me the thumbs down icon again on my video :nana: I don't care..after working as a "constructional engineering inspector" for 30 + years..I've developed a neck like a Giraffe and a skin like a Rhinoceros :eek:ld:

I liked the video! I liked the way you clamped the neck in place. Before I was trying to screw the necks down and couldn't get it just right you I'm gonna try the way you clamp.

I have been busy building a new "shed".
All my machines are up and running, and I'm actually about to complete my first batch of ukes in the new workshop :)
Here are a couple pics.
IMG_0093.jpgIMG_0133.jpgIMG_0516.jpg

Jake, really nice shop, I'm envious! How did you get snow in Santa Cruz?? lol

Thanks guys.

Jake, really nice shop, I'm envious! How did you get snow in Santa Cruz?? lol
I moved from Santa Cruz to West Virginia about a year ago. Its been freezing outside, but its nice and warm in the shop.

Nice workshop Jake!
We have the (almost) same Grizzly sander and same HF wooden table.

First time using hide glue for braces. When fitting these braces into the marriage strip on the back i noticed that the hide glue is 1- harder, and 2- more difficult to remove then titebone or LMI. I like it but its trickier to get as clean a job as the slow drying glues.
HHG.jpg
HHG2.jpg

Interesting about the glue Beau, I thought the exact opposite about ease of clean-up. I like how the hide glue cleans up. I use a squeeze bottle to apply the glue, and a quick wipe with my finger to spread the glue on the underside of the brace. Squeeze out happens in a few places, but much of the seam is clean with no squeeze out. After the clamps are in place, and a little time has passed, a quick touch with a chisel removes the still gelling glue from where it does not belong. This is for the squeeze out, not the places where I accidently smear the glue fresh out of the bottle, that is a little more difficult to clean. If it is left to harden all the way, yes, it is more difficult to clean. I have used both the Behlens hide glue, and the stuff from LMI. I try to always clean up the PVA glues when they are 'green hard' also. I find the window of time for easy clean up a little wider for the HHG.

Before I learned about squeeze bottles with stainless nuts or similar as ballast, and as a thermal buffer, I tried a brush in a pot. I did not like that.

I have done break tests of braces on Spruce and Koa, using HHG and I am happy with how it fails.

One of James Krenov's students once ask what he does for squeeze out. The reply was, 'what squeeze out'. I still cannot live up to that ideal, but I remember those words, I try.

I am new to HHG, but it is definitely in use in my shop now for some tasks.

I have been busy building a new "shed".
That's no shed. That's a genuine amphitheatre. Very envious about photos 1 & 2. Not at all envious about photo 3 though.
Miguel

Interesting about the glue Beau, I thought the exact opposite about ease of clean-up. I like how the hide glue cleans up. I use a squeeze bottle to apply the glue, and a quick wipe with my finger to spread the glue on the underside of the brace. Squeeze out happens in a few places, but much of the seam is clean with no squeeze out. After the clamps are in place, and a little time has passed, a quick touch with a chisel removes the still gelling glue from where it does not belong. This is for the squeeze out, not the places where I accidently smear the glue fresh out of the bottle, that is a little more difficult to clean. If it is left to harden all the way, yes, it is more difficult to clean. I have used both the Behlens hide glue, and the stuff from LMI. I try to always clean up the PVA glues when they are 'green hard' also. I find the window of time for easy clean up a little wider for the HHG.

Before I learned about squeeze bottles with stainless nuts or similar as ballast, and as a thermal buffer, I tried a brush in a pot. I did not like that.

One of James Krenov's students once ask what he does for squeeze out. The reply was, 'what squeeze out'. I still cannot live up to that ideal, but I remember those words, I try.

Yer- i was using a brush but i will be buying some squeeze bottles for an easier type of application- the (small) brush seems a bit clumsy in regard to quickly applying a small amount onto a brace while the HHG is quickly getting colder. I got lucky on a few braces which had little squeeze out but on the ones i over did it, there was more glue mess then im used to ever having. All ok though. I wasn't using a hair drier to extend the non gelling period- ill try that next time to grant me some more seconds of ease.

Top Bottom