Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I just wanted to say that I'm very proud of myself because I just managed to play an artificial harmonic. I'm still not very good at it, and I haven't managed to incorporate it into my playing yet, but I'm still really proud of myself.

Facebook tells me that Queens of the Stone Age is playing in my town in September. They are supported by C. W. Stoneking. That seems like a bit of an unlikely combination to me...

One would think that after after 6 years or so of being here, I'd made every possible error in producing a song. My entry this week took a couple of takes. I had some power outages, and given the heat here in Yangon, I was trying to stay cool with no fan or aircon.

I recorded a take I was happy with, transferred the video to the computer and found I had made a mistake that had slipped by when recording... I forgot to put on pants!

gopro2992.Movie_Snapshot.jpg

If he pops in here every now and again I wish he would give us an update.

Tommy if you see this just know that we are thinking of you!
xx

The last time I saw/spoke with Tommy was at the NJ Uke Fest at end of Aug 2017. It was nice to have dinner with him and Susan, and we had a nice conversation back then.

A few weeks later, I called him and left a message on the answering machine but never heard back.

Two weeks after that I sent him an email that was unanswered.

At that time I decided not to bother him since I figured he was going through a lot with his treatments.

I too am very worried, and I miss Tommy and hope he is ok and can at least let us know.

"Tommy - can you hear me?"

Get well soon and send up a flare if you can...

One would think that after after 6 years or so of being here, I'd made every possible error in producing a song. My entry this week took a couple of takes. I had some power outages, and given the heat here in Yangon, I was trying to stay cool with no fan or aircon.

I recorded a take I was happy with, transferred the video to the computer and found I had made a mistake that had slipped by when recording... I forgot to put on pants!

View attachment 108729

we've all done it!!!!!!

Got this in my URL today while signing on and again while sending a PM. Not Secure
Anyone else getting this?
Is it the site or my computer?

Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.12.40 AM.jpg

Got this in my URL today while signing on and again while sending a PM. Not Secure
Anyone else getting this?
Is it the site or my computer?

View attachment 108818

It's not your computer. I've been seeing that for a little while. (I've been meaning to send a note to the mods about it).

That message and others like it, is a result of the owners of the forum (or web site domain), not having an updated SSL certificate for the domain 'forum.ukuleleiuderground.com' which is required to encrypt your password during login.

SSL certificates expire over time and have to be renewed when they do.

There is a free and vetted service called "Let's Encrypt" that can handle this, and they also let you register wildcard domains, i.e., *.ukuleleunderground.com to cover www.ukuleleunderground.com and forum.ukuleleunderground.com under a single registration, which can also auto-renew.

I have been using Let's Encrypt since they started a few yrs ago for my own web sites, and using the service is hassle-free, and they do not sell your personal info to ANYONE at all.

It seems we should notify the moderators here, so that they may inform Rayan and Aldrine so it can be fixed.

The problem in having an expired SSL certificate is that without one, a hacker can intercept the traffic between your browser and this web site (known as a "Man-In-The-Middle attack") and capture/steal your passwords and everything else between your computer and that web site.

It is very bad practice to not have updated SSL certificates, ESPECIALLY for the login section due to the password exposure.

see: https://letsencrypt.org/

Last edited:
Thanks so much Booli for such a quick response on this.
So should we change our password?
I usually remain logged in so I havent noticed it until today.

Thanks so much Booli for such a quick response on this.
So should we change our password?
I usually remain logged in so I havent noticed it until today.

No worries. Glad to help.

After typing the explanation in that post, I sent a note to the moderators with a link to it.

I would wait to change your password until the SSL cert is fixed, reason being that if you change it now, it can still be captured via a Man-In-the-Middle-attack, so there's not really any security there since without SSL your password is sent as clear text.

What I WOULD do, is if you use your UU forum password on any other site (bad bad juju), in fact go right now, as in RUN dont walk and change the passwords on all those sites, each to a unique password, because if they get your UU forum password, and you use it elswhere like email, YT, Facebook, then the hackers have access to ALL of your accounts.

Using a program like LASTPASS, which is a password manager (and works with all browsers and all smartphone/tablet devices) can help you to manage unique passwords across many sites.

see: https://www.lastpass.com/

The last time I saw/spoke with Tommy was at the NJ Uke Fest at end of Aug 2017. It was nice to have dinner with him and Susan, and we had a nice conversation back then.

A few weeks later, I called him and left a message on the answering machine but never heard back.

Two weeks after that I sent him an email that was unanswered.

At that time I decided not to bother him since I figured he was going through a lot with his treatments.

I too am very worried, and I miss Tommy and hope he is ok and can at least let us know.

"Tommy - can you hear me?"

Get well soon and send up a flare if you can...

A few weeks ago, I saw someone say on Facebook that they were happy to have visited with him recently. Which was the first encouraging sign I'd seen over the past year.

If he's on dialysis, it's incredibly tying and upsetting. I can remember what it was like for my wife until she got a transplant. My wife was able to do hers overnight but it caused problems if we went away at all.

tommy is such a great guy. i really hope things get better for him

techie question - downloading vids from youtube for collabs and wotnot - in the past i've used or, more recently, tried to use, various websites for downloading footage for collabs - but now they have stopped allowing downloads, either completely, or stopped allowing downloads with any music o_O or won't allow me to download, here in the UK

does anyone in the UK have a solution? what are you guys using to download other people's vids from youtube for collabs and the like?

at the moment i'm getting footage just with a camera, which gives me something to work with for now, but obviously poor quality visuals

the most recent site i tried was a german site that heino uses and recommended, but it won't let me use it here in the UK :(

I used this the other week making the intro vid for my season.

https://y2mate.com

Obviously sites like this come with their risks so it's not something I'd want to do regularly.

With collabs, would it not be better to just set up a drop box? Nothing gets lost in YouTube's compression then.

Last edited:
yes, you're right, drop box is totally the way to go... except when you wanna surprise someone with some kind of add to a vid they've made, and then asking them for the original footage totally gives you and your top-secret plan away!

what site did you use?

yes, you're right, drop box is totally the way to go... except when you wanna surprise someone with some kind of add to a vid they've made, and then asking them for the original footage totally gives you and your top-secret plan away!

what site did you use?

Oops! Link would help wouldn't it? Edited now.

Last edited:
The trouble with YouTube for sharing is the heavy compression they use which inevitably degrades quality. I only really use YT downloads for offline listening, useful for learning a song but not for sharing.

Online storage is the way to go. Dropbox has been mentioned. There's also box (used to be box.net iirc but now seems to be box.com) They also have an iPad App (and presumably an Android one), if that's your thing (As does dropbox, btw). Box seems to have a larger free allowance than dropbox but both are worth a look.

I use dropbox and find it very convenient for moving stuff around. I store my song sheets, pictures and one or two other bits and pieces and sharing is easy. You just get a url and send it to the other person.

thank you guys! yeah i use drop box alot for non-top-secret collabs! it's good

Oops! Link would help wouldn't it? Edited now.
lol! thanks! that seems to have pretty good reviews online, looks good

These are what I have installed in Firefox & use when I want to grab a video.

This seems to be the best.
http://www.clickvideodownload.com/

This seemed OK
http://www.ytdownloader.info/

&
Youtube Downloader
thanks keith, i use firefox all the time, they might be really handy, cheers!!

Top Bottom