Would this put you off

Timbuck

Reaction score
When I cut this pair of sides from an old cuban mahogany table top the underside of the table had been stained dark and after thickness sanding I ended up with one side a bit darker than the next piece...As a result I have two shades of mahogany at the butt end..I hoped that the FP would match them up equal but it didn't..It dosn't make any difference to the tone or playability but it annoys me :(
IMG_4943 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest; Ive seen many high-end acoustic guitars with different colored sides, for that matter.

It doesn't look any worse than what you commonly see when wood that has some grain runout is book matched. Some buyers might object but most would say, "Hey, take a look at my Timms. Isn't she a beaut? Sounds great, too!" :)

Last edited:
I would be fine with it. The beautiful craftsmanship and playability would more than make up for it. Besides, I could just turn down the lights.

Is it not the nature of wood to have some variousness in colour?

It wouldn't bother me.

The coloring wouldn't bother me but the knotted bridge would! :D

If I ordered a high-end uke and got sides that were that obviously different, I'd certainly notice it. But if the luthier sent along that story about the table, what might have been a bug would definitely become a feature. I love that story. --Dave

What difference in colour?

NOT in the least! I'd love to have that uke, knowing what care you build into them. I'd be proud to play the heck out of it and show it off, and when my friends ask me if it's a Martin, say, "What do you think?"

It doesn’t bother me, either. The top is gorgeous. As are the sides, bottom and neck.
And with the addition of a strap button and a strap, one wil never notice this.

When I cut this pair of sides from an old cuban mahogany table top the underside of the table had been stained dark and after thickness sanding I ended up with one side a bit darker than the next piece...As a result I have two shades of mahogany at the butt end..I hoped that the FP would match them up equal but it didn't..It dosn't make any difference to the tone or playability but it annoys me :(
IMG_4943 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
I would see bit but if it plays great I would not care.. Also, you sell your ukes via bids and include actual pictures of the uke.. if you mention this in the listing.. you will still get the fair value for the uke.. If I did not already own a couple of Cubans, I would have bid on this one :)

I think the answer seems to be that it really doesn't matter at all Ken.

Top Bottom