Relating to those with Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Yeah...at least UAS is cheaper than GAS. You can get a darned nice uke for the price of a middlin' average guitar. I did know a guy who had PAS (Piano...) - that was expensive and took a lot of space. He had at least one piano stashed at just about every family member's house and then some.

I've got HAS (harp...) - and someday I swear I'm going to learn to play them! At least they don't take up a lot of space...

John

I can identify with the picture in the original post...I have 14....guitars that is...

Yeah...at least UAS is cheaper than GAS. You can get a darned nice uke for the price of a middlin' average guitar. I did know a guy who had PAS (Piano...) - that was expensive and took a lot of space. He had at least one piano stashed at just about every family member's house and then some.

I've got HAS (harp...) - and someday I swear I'm going to learn to play them! At least they don't take up a lot of space...

John
Keep going till you get all 12 harp keys, then you can look for all the alternate tunings!!!!!!!!
last count I had more than 60 of the suckers!!!!!!!!!!!
(of course, i'm talking of blues harps)
helpppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Cheers
Gary

Keep going till you get all 12 harp keys, then you can look for all the alternate tunings!!!!!!!!
last count I had more than 60 of the suckers!!!!!!!!!!!
(of course, i'm talking of blues harps)
helpppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Cheers
Gary

Heh, heh, I'm on my way. I've got 'em in G (couple of these), A, Bb, C (two or three), D and F; mostly Lee Oscars but a couple of Marine Bands and a Blackbird. Also got a bullet mic and a fancy case to hold 'em all... and can't play a stinking lick! (Well, not quite true, I can blow a few simple things.) Problem is it's really hard to practice the harp (blues anyway) quietly and my office/music room/man cave is right next to the grandkids bedroom. So, I usually end up picking up a uke 'cause it seems like one or another of the GKs is always either taking a nap or down for the night.

Some day though... :)

John

I sold a Gibson Dove and Gibson ES-335 to buy more ukes. Love the ukes but miss the guitars I let go. I think I'll hang on to the rest of my guitars.

I own 62 guitars and 15 ukuleles (Note to self - Need more ukes!). Ric

Yes. Let's see, a tenor uke weighs about a fifth what a guitar does so it sounds like you need at least (62-15) * 5 = 235 more ukes to achieve balance; more if we're talking about sopranos or concerts or a mix...

And I feel a lot more comfortable about my own cases of various acquisition syndromes, now. :)

John

Heh, heh, I'm on my way. I've got 'em in G (couple of these), A, Bb, C (two or three), D and F; mostly Lee Oscars but a couple of Marine Bands and a Blackbird. Also got a bullet mic and a fancy case to hold 'em all... and can't play a stinking lick! (Well, not quite true, I can blow a few simple things.) Problem is it's really hard to practice the harp (blues anyway) quietly and my office/music room/man cave is right next to the grandkids bedroom. So, I usually end up picking up a uke 'cause it seems like one or another of the GKs is always either taking a nap or down for the night.

Some day though... :)

John
To practice blues harp quietly and get something like 'That Chicago Sound' use a glass or a coffee mug in place of the bullet mic
and cup your hands and harp as normal to get the required airtight seal. Its reasonable quiet and
makes a good distorted sound. So its Win Win!!! you get to blow a little harp and the grandkiddies get all the sleep they need.:cool:
Cheers
Gary

To practice blues harp quietly and get something like 'That Chicago Sound' use a glass or a coffee mug in place of the bullet mic
and cup your hands and harp as normal to get the required airtight seal. Its reasonable quiet and
makes a good distorted sound. So its Win Win!!! you get to blow a little harp and the grandkiddies get all the sleep they need.:cool:
Cheers
Gary

Cool! Thanks for the tip I"ll give that a try.

I can identify with the picture in the original post...I have 14....guitars that is...

I have AAD....Acoustic Acquisition Disease. I have 14 too (not all guitars). Just as serious. I think I've decided that I don't need to learn any new instruments, but that doesn't mean I can't get more instruments of what I do play. It's my way of staying out of trouble and keeping my mind sharp in my old age of 48. I am planning number 15...a new tenor uke.

I'm glad you are getting a tenor ukulele frets alot, then you will need a baritone as well.

I did know a guy who had PAS (Piano...) - that was expensive and took a lot of space. He had at least one piano stashed at just about every family member's house and then some.

Mark Mothersbaugh (From Devo) appears in a DVD extra on The Life Aquaitic (he did part of the soundtrack). The guy has stacks and stacks of keyboards. It had to be in the several-hundreds at least. It's not quite as bad as PAS, but that guy certainly has KAS.

And either a concert or soprano...whichever will round out the set :)

I belong to a guitar forum and a dulcimer forum. I thought those folks were bad for influencing you to get new guitars/dulcimers. But, since joining UU, they can't even compete with the fine folks here. ;) I honestly realize now that UAS is probably the worst (or maybe best) you can suffer from. Ukes are relatively cheaper than other acoustic instruments, so you (have to/can) have so many more. I wonder how many ukes some of the people here on UU own?

I wonder how many ukes some of the people here on UU own?

Some are legendary! Maybe they will chime in, but there are several "How many ukes do YOU own?" threads. I just can't get search to cough any up for me however. :(

Some are legendary! Maybe they will chime in, but there are several "How many ukes do YOU own?" threads. I just can't get search to cough any up for me however. :(

Teek, I have found google to be a better searcher. type in "how many ukes do you own" and then "site:ukuleleunderground.com" and it will do a better job of searching the forums than the regular search (which I think uses keywords).

Here's one of the posts: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?51380-How-many-ukes-do-you-own

I have major UAS, but it's always for better instruments. When I had a Kala, I wanted an Ohana, now that I have an Ohana, I want a Koaloha, I wonder what my last uke will be, or if I'll just start collecting Mahalos (I shudder).

Top Bottom