Review: Cocobolo

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I received one of the Cocobolo ukuleles from Nicaragua. At the price, approximately $350, curiosity got the better of me. I was also attracted to the very pretty wood. I was given a choice of several ukes via pictures, and I picked the one that I liked. But it was hard to choose. I got one with a Cocobolo top. I'm not sure that's the best choice for a top wood from a sound perspective, but it sure is pretty.

This is kind of an odd uke. It is shaped more like a Charanga than a typical concert uke. I would prefer a more standard uke shape, just for aesthetic reasons. It comes with grover geared tuners that work well. I know a lot of people prefer direct tuners for the look, I do too. But geared tuners are easier to deal with and cause fewer problems over the long run.

The fit and finish is excellent. Set up was perfect. The neck is radiuses and easy to play. However,I can feel the frets extruding when I run my hand up the sides. It does not cause me a problem when playing but could be improved upon.

It plays great up and down the neck. It comes with Aquila strings which I have not changed. Volume is good but slightly to the quiet side. The tone is very very warm. To some extent this is a result of the Aquila strings. The lower end of the sound spectrum tends to predominate and there is not a lot of sustain on the high strings, but they are not dead either. I think the sound might be brighter with fluorocarbon strings but quieter.

It's a nice uke for the price solid wood, playable, nice looking. I would pick it over a similar Kala or Ohana because it has more of handmade unique look and feel. But is is a bit of an oddity due to the shape and deeper sound. I think my sound sample gives a pretty good idea of what it sounds like.

sound file:

https://app.box.com/s/lz5se5hvzpoxcpi1lpe7

Thanks for the review. Mine is now in the pipeline, probably 2 months or so away. Looking forward to it!

Gorgeous! You think this is a keeper?

Gorgeous! You think this is a keeper?

Probably not over the long run. Mostly because it is a concert. Also, I've got some really really nice ukes. This is sort of an odd duck. I think it's a great start for the company, and the wood is gorgeous but I'm shedding most of my concerts and it certainly is not at the level of a high end custom uke, of which I have a few. It has a 12 fret join and I'm tending to play mostly ukes with a 14 or 15 fret join. I'd say this uke is comparable to other $350 ukes. What it offers different is unique wood and a great neck.

I had two of them to demo to our members at TBUG last year. I noticed the same sharpness feel from the ends of the frets. I'm not so sure it wasn't due to the drop in humidity from Nicaragua to florida. These had mahogany tops. They were quiet at first, and weren't set up. But after some minor niggling and playing, the cocobolo wood and the mahogany began to respond really well, and they got louder and louder. The radiused fretboards were awesome! Due to the fact that I couldn't keep them due to budgetary limits, and there was so much competition from other makers, I sent them on to Uke Republic, who is a dealer for Cocobolo. There are several other dealers in the USA incase you don't want the longer wait from Central America. I did miss the other three frets my other concert ukes have, but the necks are great. I didn't notice the spicey smell I've heard of, and my sniffer is real sensitive.I think they are well worth the money, and that one is a beauty Katysax! I hope you fall in love....

I'm 50/50 on the wood like mango it kinda looks cool and it kinda looks dirty in areas at the same time.

No sopranos either from what I see.

I was just in touch with Kevin with Cocobolo Ukuleles and (accidentally) ordered one of their new tenors. It shipped today, so will share my impression after receiving and breaking it in a bit. They are quite distinctive in appearance which is why I'm adding one to the collection.

I was just in touch with Kevin with Cocobolo Ukuleles and (accidentally) ordered one of their new tenors. It shipped today, so will share my impression after receiving and breaking it in a bit. They are quite distinctive in appearance which is why I'm adding one to the collection.

Well arn't you the lucky one !

I got an email from them today about a tenor:
We have been seeing a lot of demand lately and I actually do not have any ukuleles available for sale at the moment. The good news is that we are working on 2 tenors right now that I am hoping to have finished by next Wednesday or so. They are both very pretty and I am excited about how they are turning out.
Dated Jan 15 @5:27pm

I might have to take this personally :)
(not really)

Frankly what has put me off these is the way they were savagely spammed on a number of Facebook groups - not by Kevin I may add, but still. Put me off.

I know what you mean Bazmaz. I too was hesitant about ordering one due to some of the troubling posts that were made. Consider the sources made me re-think my fears in spite of the "heat" Nicki received from some.
Fortunately I put aside the fears and purchased one from Kevin. I must let you know my fears were unfounded and the purchase went flawless. I purchased a second at a great price and even place Peghed's on her. She arrived safely and for an extra $25 Kevin sent me a nice hard case and humidifier to keep her safe and sound.
Would I hesitate to purchase another one? Well the answer is no and I am in line for a Cocobolo tenor. Cocobolo's are "sweet", but don't tell anybody....the wait list is getting longer for these handmade beauties!

I like the figuring in the dark, but when they have the dark and the light together, they remind me of the bodies posters and kinda creeps me out.

bodies1.jpg

As a follow up I ultimately contacted Kevin about the frets because they went from being a minor annoyance to a serious flaw. I think they've done a lot to try to make a nice instrument and put a lot of work into each one. Fret finishing only takes a few minutes. Kevin explained to me that the fret files are hard for them to get and very expensive. At some point I'm probably going to file them down myself.

Wait.. what? They can do inlay, binding, and purfling, but they can't file a fret?

Wait.. what? They can do inlay, binding, and purfling, but they can't file a fret?

That's almost verbatim what I told Kevin. The frets are unfinished. I do understand that he is operating in a country where there are going to be some difficulty obtaining things we take for granted. This is an issue with a lot of Asian ukes too. But it is very fundamental to getting it right.

I have one on the way. Kevin said they've made some modifications to the concert design including to the body shape and have restarted numbering them back to 001…will be interested to see if the fret edges are still an issue. Sure hope not.

I have a couple ukes with rough fret ends. What file would you recommend?

My Cocobolo Concert has protruding fret ends after a very dry winter. Going to have to get them filed down if the warmer, wetter weather doesn't help.

Top Bottom