What is your most FUN uke?

Ukecaster

Reaction score
What is your most FUN uke? The one that always satisfies, and puts a smile on your face.

For me, it's a concert Flea, with wooden fretboard. It's loud, easy playing and always gives up a good sound, whether strumming softly, fingerpicking, or soprano style heavier strumming on old timey favorites.

I have other more expensive ukes, but they seem to be outstanding, can't-get-enough-great one day, but the next day, they might just be OK. The Flea always sounds and plays the same, and that's why it's my most FUN uke. How about you?

When i get around to stringing my Fluke back to high G, that might take the lead.
But for now it must be my Ohana long neck soprano.
It is smallish, loud and easy to pick up and play.

My George Thomas Contra Baritone and Chennell arch top baritone are my two favorites at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 23
The one that always leaves me grinning is my 1920s Lyon & Healey 17 fret tenor banjo (tuned Bb reentrant with Nylguts)
It's a hoot to play but it drives my wife out of the room :D

My fluke! Easy to travel with, it can stand on its own. The solid spruce top tenor that I have sounds really really good and I don’t feel that I am compromising when traveling. Trying to see if I can get a fluke that is customized for me (redwood top, larger frets and maybe a radius fret board with a rounder neck)

My Kamaka HP-1 pineapple. It practically plays itself, it's so comfortable and easy. It's in the shop right now and I'm having total separation anxiety, but this was a good reminder about how much FUN it's going to be to get it back soon :)

My fluke! Easy to travel with, it can stand on its own. The solid spruce top tenor that I have sounds really really good and I don’t feel that I am compromising when traveling. Trying to see if I can get a fluke that is customized for me (redwood top, larger frets and maybe a radius fret board with a rounder neck)

If it helps to order two at the same time I will take one as well......seriously. PM me if you want to talk about it.

To answer the question at hand my Fred Shields walnut super soprano pineapple with radiused fretboard strung low G. Small enough to travel well, built well enough to be stable (walnut is not delicate like cedar) and custom hand made by Fred so it sounds real good. It accompanied me on a 640 km cycling trip last year.

20180918_072503.jpg

If it helps to order two at the same time I will take one as well......seriously. PM me if you want to talk about it.

To answer the question at hand my Fred Shields walnut super soprano pineapple with radiused fretboard strung low G. Small enough to travel well, built well enough to be stable (walnut is not delicate like cedar) and custom hand made by Fred so it sounds real good. It accompanied me on a 640 km cycling trip last year.

View attachment 116905
that sounds like a lot of fun!
pm sent!

That's a hard question, 'cause I love all my ukes.... but I think I would have to say my Moon Bird concert. Every time I hear it and look down and see the moon phase fretboard I just smile and think "this uke was meant for me!"

It's neck and neck between my Kala cedar top and Lanikai Thinline bocote (butterfly wood).

Kala cedar mine.jpg

Lanikai Thinline Bocote 800.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

It's neck and neck between my Kala cedar top and Lanikai Thinline bocote (butterfly wood).

How does the Lanikai sound comapred to the Kala? I'm not famliar with bocote wood. I ask because one of my neighbors kids wants a ukulele and his parent asked me about a Lanikai bocote, and I had to confess my ignorance of what the bocote would sound like. I recommended they drive to Mims and try ukes there (a couple of hours from us).

Keep us posted. A Flea with a rounder, but not too thick neck would make one a lot more appealing to me.

This is hard choice, as I love all my "ukulele children" for different reasons. My Moon Bird sounds so sweet, but my KoAloha is my first love.

Last edited:
Keep us posted. A Flea with a rounder, but not too thick neck would make one a lot more appealing to me.

This is hard choice, as I love all my "ukulele children" for different reasons. My Moon Bird sounds so sweet, but my KoAloha is my first love.

I was just thinking the other day that it's too bad that Flea doesn't have other options for a neck. The neck is too thick for me, but otherwise, I would love them.

Not my best sounding but the one that makes me smile the most is my TyDe Tenor Long Neck. It was built out of reclaimed Walnut and Cedar that used to be part of a pier and a boat house. It has a banjo—ee sound and a whole lot of fun to play.

The Lanikai 6-string. It seems to always be the first one I grab when I want to relax.

Most fun is my 1930's sopranino.

IMG_20180530_125136.jpg

IMG_20180203_221721.jpg

My Ohana SK-38 is so light weight and punchy. A close second and a different kind of fun is my Sopranino SK-21M - it's tiny and I can stretch across frets with ease, but it doesn't get played nearly as much.

Top Bottom