::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys eat any "weird" foods or weird combinations of foods.

For instance, right now I'm eating a liverwurst with ketchup sandwich.

When I used to spend the summers with my great uncles they used to feed me this for lunches. Working in the orchard all morning even Vienna sausages would taste good. Anyhow, every once in a while I get a craving for that sandwich. Usually when I'm feeling nostalgic. My uncles said they were fed liverwurst in the internment camps and eating with ketchup was the only way they could get themselves to eat it.

I guess they got used to it or they were trying to punish me. :)

Weird foods you grow up on always taste good later in life.

As a kid, I used to like putting salt on Jello. I have no idea why, or how that started, but I liked it....

eta: somehow I quoted the wrong post, obviously....

My husband salts cantaloupe because his dad did. I put cottage cheese in the middle of a half cantaloupe because my dad did.
We both think each other’s dads are weird.

The bacteria from the Kim Chee must kill any bad bacteria from everything else.

I want to try it but it's expensive. It would kill me to pay that much knowing what the food cost is.

Google recipes for it. Korean army stew or budae jjigae. After you read a few recipes, I think you'll get the idea and be able to cobble something together. The kimchi is the anchor and the only have to have ingredient. Make sure and age it a few weeks until it's sour if it's not already. It's good with other noodles besides ramen - somen, udon, etc.

My husband salts cantaloupe because his dad did. I put cottage cheese in the middle of a half cantaloupe because my dad did.

Salt on fruit is an old farmer's trick. Usually with green fruit to draw out the sweetness.

Is peanut butter and cheese weird?

My favorite all time inebriated discovery was a wheat hot dog bun liberally smeared with peanut butter and filled with spaghetti with marinara sauce. I dare you to try it.
yeah that’s an odd combination. I’d have to be pretty stoned.

Just yesterday I was eating a lump crab sandwich and fries. It was really good. I commented, “this would be even better if I was stoned.”

My hubby recently showed me a picture of a grilled spaghetti sandwich on garlic bread and said he wanted one. I guess I need to make spaghetti so I have some leftovers.

Google recipes for it. Korean army stew or budae jjigae. After you read a few recipes, I think you'll get the idea and be able to cobble something together. The kimchi is the anchor and the only have to have ingredient. Make sure and age it a few weeks until it's sour if it's not already. It's good with other noodles besides ramen - somen, udon, etc.

One year I had a good number of Korean students and I tried to make jjigae. I came back and told them it was really bland and that's when I learned you have to let it get nasty before you make the stew. I miss those kids.

My friend's husband puts black pepper on cantaloupe and honey dew. I guess it's a Southern thing, but still not a common practice.

I think it's pretty common in Japan. My lineage is semi-impressive. My family comes from one of the original ten ruling families of Japan. I don't think we were royalty but rather the Samurai who protected the royal family. My mon (family crest) was how we traced that back. I have a fairly wealthy aunt with no kids who is spending all her money trying to trace our family history.

I had a college professor that was named Mr. Yoshida. He was blond a blue eyed. He had taken his wife’s name, she was the last Yoshida in her family with no brothers. He said that was a Japanese custom.

One year I had a good number of Korean students and I tried to make jjigae. I came back and told them it was really bland and that's when I learned you have to let it get nasty before you make the stew. I miss those kids.

Yup. For any kind of soup, stew, savory Korean pancakes, and kimchi fried rice, the kimchi needs to be tangy for the final dish to be good.

I had a college professor that was named Mr. Yoshida. He was blond a blue eyed. He had taken his wife’s name, she was the last Yoshida in her family with no brothers. He said that was a Japanese custom.

My great grandfather was actually my great grandmother's BIL. My actual great grandfather passed away at a young age and from what I understand with her having children it was the next oldest brother's duty to step up, marry her, and take care of the family.

So my grandmother's oldest brother is actually her half brother.

Weird.

Oh one time we were at a French restaurant, and the dessert was Fraises au poivre,
which is strawberries with pepper.
Of course we had to try it.
They brought out a beautiful little dish of cut and cleaned raw strawberries, and then the waiter grabbed the big salad pepper grinder and went to town. We were giggling, "That's it? Seriously?" the server was in on the joke. He walked away and returned with a sauce - a luxurious anisette cream sauce - and drowned the pepper-coated strawberries.
It was exquisite!

In the PNW, we have Junki and his Yoshida's sauce. He's a super energetic and friendly guy.
View attachment 103628

attachment.php

Had some former kiddos put this up in '04. Sadly, I grew into this look.

Attachments

• IMG_7314[1].jpg
    IMG_7314[1].jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 17
Yup. For any kind of soup, stew, savory Korean pancakes, and kimchi fried rice, the kimchi needs to be tangy for the final dish to be good.

Be ready for kimchi flavored milk.

I keep an open jar with baking soda and ground coffee in the fridge and it helps keep the odor and taste transfer down. The contests get stirred every so often. When it loses it's efficacy, I use it to scrub the sinks or toilet.

Be ready for kimchi flavored milk.

I keep an open jar with baking soda and ground coffee in the fridge and it helps keep the odor and taste transfer down. The contests get stirred every so often. When it loses it's efficacy, I use it to scrub the sinks or toilet.

. . . and butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom