Hoffman Lutherie under new management?

rachiebakes

Reaction score
Hi folks- anyone have any familiarity with ukes being made by the new proprietor of Hoffman Lutherie? I'm considering ordering a custom uke, and in the process learned that Hoffman Lutherie is operating under a new proprietor. I'm curious if anyone has heard anything about the change in ownership, or even seen/played one of their ukes since they switched over. Any insights much appreciated!

I hadn't heard anything about this. When did the change occur?

That's a good question. I'm not sure. Seems fairly recent, as far as I can tell-- the new proprietor seems to be doing a lot of logistical housekeeping associated with acquiring the business.

Not mixing this up with Mya-Moe which changed hands not too long ago?

Their website still says they are made by Jerry Hoffmann. If they have changed hands and are now made by someone else, it would be extremely unethical not to prominently disclose this and I would be very reticent to purchase from them. You can just ask them who is currently making the ukes.

Not mixing this up with Mya-Moe which changed hands not too long ago?

That's what I was thinking. Unless some evidence can be provided to the contrary, I suggest we stop this rumoring right now.

That's what I was thinking. Unless some evidence can be provided to the contrary, I suggest we stop this rumoring right now.

OR, since this is already out there, OP can clarify where they got their information from and, if not directly from Hoffmann Lutherie, ask them directly and post the response. Once out, posts like this can easily simmer in the background if not cleared up.

Hi all- I've been exchanging emails with the new proprietor, Alex Ferguson. I got in touch with him as a result of reaching out to Hoffmann Lutherie, prior to starting this thread. The information about new ownership comes directly from him. No rumoring here, was just curious if others have heard anything about the shop under new ownership. Alex has told me he is in the process of creating a new website, remodeling the shop, etc. There doesn't seem to be any intent to operate unethically or conceal information- it appears he's just got a lot on his plate as he takes over the business.

Last edited:
If Jerry is retiring, I would think that there are a lot of people on UU who would like to say thanks for the fine instruments you made and wish him happy trails for his future endeavours. I just did.

Top Bottom