Reasonable price for a Kamaka Tiki concert

UkingViking

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been looking out for 2. hand Kamaka concerts in my local area for a while, hoping to find a modern one with Gotoh UPT's, the nice case etc. There is no asking price, only bidding.

Now I have seen a listing for an old tiki model with friction pegs. I am not much for friction pegs, but if it is significantly cheaper than a new one I am sure I could manage for the chance to own a Kamaka :)

What is a steal for a Kamaka Tiki?

I see some gold label listed on ebay around $1000.
I am not going that high as it is closing in on the price for a new one, and it is not gold label.

Personally I'd rather have a new model. Back in the day I owned one from the 1960s and the workmanship was terrible compared to current models. Sound wasn't that great either. Very low grade koa as well. My tiki was slightly crooked too! Wood grades and quality control newer models are much better than the models from the 1960s and 70s.

But, yeah, I've seen minty vintage Tiki going for up to $1500.

Thanks for the input.

I'd prefer a new model, but if I can get the Tiki for something like $500 I think I'll go for it.

The seller has no asking price. He turned down my initial lowball of $300. I asked to try it before I make a new offer. If I we can agree on the price, at least I will have held a kamaka in my hands. There are no shops in Denmark selling Kamakas, so it is a rare opportunity.

I got it for the equivalent of $523!

That is 1/3 of what a new one costs in the EU after taxes, so very nice that far.

The seller was a flea market trader, who bought it for $15 at a flea market and made quite a deal himself.

It looks to be in pretty good shape for a uke from 1972. It has a few dings and scratches from use, but not bad. There are a few thin cracks in the top along the fret board, that I hope are not a danger to the structural integrity, I will post some pictures later.

I suspect the strings to be 47 years old too. Black nylon strings like kamaka comes with. I dont know if they are sold in Denmark. Tried to tune it, but is wouldnt stay in tune. I gave up after a while, if I snapped the old strings it would make a bad bargaining position.

Here are a few pictures:

The ukulele:
Ukulele.jpg

The headstock:
Headstock.jpg

The crack by the fretboard:
Crack.jpg

So, do you guys think that the crack ruins the deal on this ukulele?
And do you think it needs to be fixed, or is it mostly cosmetic? Denmark does not have a very dry climate, so that shouldn't worsen it.

Nice! Your headstock tiki is prettier and more recessed than the one on my old mid-60s model. The earlier tiki protruded more and were an eyesore.

The crack is no problem. No sound effect. Seems unlikely to spread. Search fixing on uuf or YouTube. Humidity might close it and you can glue it together. If it closes up somewhat (or not) the location makes cleating it from underneath easy.

It’s less a matter of “I got this uke and it has this crack” than “ I got a great deal on this vintage uke and it only has this tiny little crack!”

Enjoy!

My Ohana mahogany soprano had a crack running from the center of the sound hole to the fret. Caused a slight buzz. My local luthier glued a tiny bit of bracing below it and it plays perfectly now. With a little humidity you might be able to glue it and not brace. Looks like a beauty all in all.

Thanks for your replys.

The couriosity and impatience got the better of me, so I started out changing strings. Then the fix must be done some time later.
Now I just need to tighten those tuners...

Thanks for your replys.

The couriosity and impatience got the better of me, so I started out changing strings. Then the fix must be done some time later.
Now I just need to tighten those tuners...

Just an FYI on the tuners, if too stiff, you may want to add fiberboard washers between the tuner buttons and the wood to smooth things out. The vintage stock Kamaka buttons can get weak, and may crumble if tension is too tight. It happened to mine, I had to replace them, I think I used standard Ping frictions for about $15.00.

Top Bottom