Tell us about your best sounding ukulele..

Agreed - cedar tops sound great. My Cordoba 24T cedar top tenor makes wonderful noise. It's in my top 3 ukes, tonally. It's also a pleasure to play. Ultra light and responsive.

Do you play your Cordoba 24T as low G, or high? Haven't tried mine as high G yet, wondering about that.

My Kamaka standard with stock Kamaka strings. Ukulele heaven to my ears.

I am about just new to playing ukulele. Nevertheless I do have already a few different models (not the expensive stuff yet though), and it looks like that I always look/search for the sound of my first one, my Lanikai LU-11 (soprano scale) with Aquila New Nylgut, although I restringed her with Super Nylguts now, it still sounds great to my ears.
The other day I had a lot of different strings arriving and I did restring my Lanikai MA-S with Aquila Sugars - man that did blew me away - great sound and waaaay better than with the strings she came with (New Nylgut - I guess).
I know this thread is about sound, but just to have mentioned it: maybe because I am a newbie I really prefere to play a uke with wide string spacing - so I play the MA-S now a lot as she has a much wider spacing than most of my other ukes. Picking just becomes way more enjoyable.

Kamaka HF-3 w blacklines is kinda perfection for me. Just the right combo of warmth and clarity.
But a Martin S-1 with flourocarbons is great in its own way. That boxy mahogany 20's jazz vibe. While I would choose the Kamaka for what I play day-to-day, to say one sound is "better" feels like apples n oranges.

all of my ukulele's are different from each other, and over the years, I have filtered out to select the best that I have owned (over 45 ukes in all) in each category. The worst, though, is my Kala thinline concert. I never play it-- I use it collect autographs. It is the one that I seriously broke-in on but I am not happy with most aspects of it.

Let me talk about the soprano's though. I have an early KoAloha (prior the unibracing and prior the musbi sound hole) and it sounds awesome, more like a Kamaka than a current KoAloha. However, Pops sent me a new uke that he calls the Wow. This is a pine body and Engleman Spruce top. The sound on this uke is unbeatable. I have never played any brand of soprano ukulele (and I have played tons of different brands) that compares to this WOW. It is a cannon, so easy to play, and with a unique full tone. It is a joy to play and a prized possession.

I've owned and rehomed quite a few over the years. Of the current group, I'd say the best sounding is either my Famous or my C1K. The Ohana soprano's a sweet player, too. I'm in a great spot now, because it's impossible to choose one.

I've had two high end Ponos among a few cheaper ukes, trying to find the perfect one for me. I never bonded with either. not sure why.
I now have a Koaloha Opio that I love to play. The sound for me is sweet and mellow with the stock strings ..Low G. The action makes it a treat to play and it ends up on my lap every day.

Giving this thread a bump to see what replies folks have.
As for me, I have been on a UAS spree.
Soprano: Vintage Style 3K, Ken Timms Cuban Mahagony.
Tenor: Spruce MBU, Last new batch of Collings, Hive redwood.
Baritone: Les Stansell

I've had two high end Ponos among a few cheaper ukes, trying to find the perfect one for me. I never bonded with either. not sure why.
I now have a Koaloha Opio that I love to play. The sound for me is sweet and mellow with the stock strings ..Low G. The action makes it a treat to play and it ends up on my lap every day.

Update! My Opio is in second place now.
I fell off the UAS wagon.....huge! Went and got the beautiful Rebel Particle #12 after hearing several sound samples. While not hugely expensive compared to say a Beau Hannan, it was a lot more than I'd ever paid and the exchange rate killed me, but I just had to have this uke.
HMS set it up low g and low action. I think I drove poor Corey crazy by the time they sent it out.
I just love the sweet tone and projection.. I've liked the sound of some of my ukes, especially the Opio, but my Rebel just sings to me. It almost plays itself...

Giving this thread a bump to see what replies folks have.
As for me, I have been on a UAS spree.
Soprano: Vintage Style 3K, Ken Timms Cuban Mahagony.
Tenor: Spruce MBU, Last new batch of Collings, Hive redwood.
Baritone: Les Stansell

Thanks for giving this thread a bump. My favorite sounding right now is the Koaloha KTM for the tenor, a Graziano Selmer or the Takumi mahogany for the concert and the Martin Style 2 Soprano for the Soprano. Of the 4 my favorites for strictly sound are the first the Koaloha KTM and the Martin Style 2 Soprano.

Lately, I've been listening to my BFF's new LoPrinzi uke that I designed for her. It's dynamic, from top to bottom, but really quiet compared to my Cocobolo uke. We like to drum on them for percussion in some songs, and hers sounds like a tree trunk, compared to mine.
Maybe maple and spruce are meant to be bowed, not strummed....
Maybe Donna will build my next uke with Cocobolo wood, the stuff really sings. Donna's ukes are feather light!

Soprano: Kiwaya KTS-7
Only after I played the Kiwaya next to my previous soprano purchase (and current travel uke), a Martin S-1, did I notice how incredibly full and balanced the sound is compared to the Martin while still having that typical soprano jangle. I love it.

Banjo uke: Gibson UB-1
No other modern banjo uke I've tried comes even close to replicating the bright and crisp vintage banjo uke sound of this beauty, and this is the absolute smallest and cheapest model of the Gibson banjo ukes. I had to count my lucky stars when I got my hands on this one. The tiny fretboard takes some getting used to, but regardless this is my most precious piece of my uke collection, no doubt.

I’m really enjoying my ko’olau. You don’t see too many of them though on this forum.

I'm in a bit of a quandry--right now, it's a toss up between my Martin C1K and my Kremona Coco.

The Martin Premium strings really bring out the warm Hawaiian sound of the solid koa on the C1K, and it sounds great.
The Coco is a new addition, so I haven't settled on which strings I like best for the solid cedar top and Indian rosewood back and sides. I'm using the Martin Premiums, for now, to better compare with the C1K, and the Coco is exhibiting some deeper overtones not found with the C1K.

I think once I find the right strings to compliment the Coco, it may be my best sounding uke.

very pretty! What’s the story behind the purchase? Never heard of this brand. Googling..

Thank you :)

It's by a maker called Eichii Sumi and his brand is Sumi Kobo. He is a Japanese luthier who builds without CNC machinery I believe but more traditional hand tools. I saw this and feel in love with it, previous Sumis had slipped through my fingers whilst I was making my mind up and then this popped up. This had a small crack in the gloss on the back that happened on its travels overseas so was sold at a discount.

Thank you :)

It's by a maker called Eichii Sumi and his brand is Sumi Kobo. He is a Japanese luthier who builds without CNC machinery I believe but more traditional hand tools. I saw this and feel in love with it, previous Sumis had slipped through my fingers whilst I was making my mind up and then this popped up. This had a small crack in the gloss on the back that happened on its travels overseas so was sold at a discount.
Congratulations!! Where do you find these?

Top Bottom