NUD: Rebel Prototype

Jerryc41

Reaction score
How can you resist a uke called the Double Cheesecake? I couldn't. Rebel has produced several prototype ukuleles in different sizes. These all have bindings on the top and bottom. The one I got is a spruce/mahogany concert. Naturally, it sounds beautiful.

01.jpg 04.jpg 03.jpg

So you're the one who bought that. I'd been watching those prototypes. Mim had some as did Uke Republic. Jealous!

So you're the one who bought that. I'd been watching those prototypes. Mim had some as did Uke Republic. Jealous!

Yes, I knew I would have to move fast. I've had a Rebel in the back of my mind for quite a while, and seeing the prototype won me over. Mim was closed (and more expensive), so I went with Uke Republic. Very fast delivery.

What makes it a prototype?

Yes, I knew I would have to move fast. I've had a Rebel in the back of my mind for quite a while, and seeing the prototype won me over. Mim was closed (and more expensive), so I went with Uke Republic. Very fast delivery.

They are great ukes. I had a double creme soprano that I really liked but only owned for a short time because I had bought too many instruments and needed to let something go. I'd like another Rebel some day. I really like the binding in these, but am holding off on buying instruments at the moment.

Glad you like it! Have fun!

Very nice! Do you know if there's meaning behind the fret marker icons or are they just being art decoey

Congrats! I love my Rebel. I'd actually love to have one of every model they make, if I could.

Great buy Jerry. Terrific looking Rebel. I love front & back binding.

Congrats, Jerry!

Just for the record I was not closed closed. Just at cap. Haha. I only pipe in because someone wrote me an email thinking I was closed closed. I just hit cap early last week!

Rebels are great! Happy new uke day! Carry on!

Congrats, Jerry!

I considered a similar prototype, but with the binding the ukulele no longer looks exactly like *cheesecake* from the side. A purist, I. :D

Congrats! I love my Rebel. I'd actually love to have one of every model they make, if I could.

I sure love mine as well, including an Acacia prototype from Mim. The outdoor pictures (on Mim’s instagram) clinched it— the maple fretboard is much more subtle in natural light, and the proto elements all work well together to very cool effect.

My other bigger-buy ukulele is an Anuenue AMM2. Wowzer. I respect it very much, love that it offers more than I yet know how to ask of it (it’s currently more dynamic than I, heh), and we have a long future together.

But, the Rebels capture my wacky heart.

Zing.

~ S.

Last edited:
Just for the record I was not closed closed. Just at cap. Haha. I only pipe in because someone wrote me an email thinking I was closed closed. I just hit cap early last week!

Rebels are great! Happy new uke day! Carry on!

Oooh! Sorry about that! Bad choice of words. An early cap is better than no cap at all.

Very nice! Do you know if there's meaning behind the fret marker icons or are they just being art decoey

There's too much "sinister" going around right now, so I went the other direction. : )

How about - Peace, Prosperity, Harmony, Happiness. The double alliteration is just a coincidence.

Oooh! Sorry about that! Bad choice of words. An early cap is better than no cap at all.

Haha, no worries! Someone sent me condolences, but I just wanted to clarify! Cap is slowing. Whew. I actually like to not hit cap. It is a lot of work. But last week was an exception.

Haha, no worries! Someone sent me condolences, but I just wanted to clarify! Cap is slowing. Whew. I actually like to not hit cap. It is a lot of work. But last week was an exception.

If anyone wants to get a sense of just how hard Mim has had to work, and how quickly she has been hitting her caps, you can always check this thread: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?145238-Lockdown-Entertainment I've been keeping track of her store as a way to gauge the ukulele market since back in April. I update it every week when I see that she has capped out.

A big thank you to Mim for helping to keep the world well supplied with quality instruments with amazing set-ups!

Jerry, congrats on the new Rebel! My mango concert Double Cream is one of my favorites to play. (It came from Mim too, by the way.)

Top Bottom