Baritone strings with most projection?

KoaDependent

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm taking my baritone into a folk music ensemble to essentially play the rhythm guitar role. The Living Water strings I have on it now are sweet and beautiful but are getting lost in the sound.

Before I just go and slap Aquilas on there (with wound D/G strings), does anyone have suggestions for other string sets that might provide a little more punch?

Uke Logic makes a nice set with a gold wound squeak-less G string that reminds me of a Fremont soloist. I thought the Uke Logics had very good projection. I just got a set of Martin fluorocarbons I haven't tried yet but I usually find Martin strings project well too.

Meh, Aquila's all the way. That's all I use and they are great.

Having said that. I did try a set of Dunlop Baritone strings on one instrument. Personally I didn't like them as much as the Aquila's because they had higher string tension yet you may like that. Still two wound strings yet on the plus side the wound strings lasted longer than the Aquila wound strings do.

Last edited:
For me, Aquilas are always good for projection.

They're seldom my favorite Tone, but in terms of projection they're outstanding, and sometimes that's Exactly Right.

Meh, Aquila's all the way. That's all I use and they are great.

Having said that. I did try a set of Dunlop Baritone strings on one instrument. Personally I didn't like them as much as the Aquila's because they had higher string tension yet you may like that. Still two wound strings yet on the plus side the wound strings lasted longer than the Aquila wound strings do.

This is probably unfair and perhaps just personal but to me Aquila's are the strings that come on that new ukulele from Amazon and are the only strings beginners know. I tried several varieties and found some ok and some dreadful. I've moved on.

This is probably unfair and perhaps just personal but to me Aquila's are the strings that come on that new ukulele from Amazon and are the only strings beginners know. I tried several varieties and found some ok and some dreadful. I've moved on.

I don't understand this comment. It is quite possible that cheap unbranded uke has counterfeit Aquila strings, which of course would be very different from the real thing. Aquila has list of brands that come with their strings so you can check that and make sure the Amazon one is on the list.

Absolutely, there are a lot of fake Aquila strings on cheap ukuleles out there. I always took them off and fitted genuine Aquila's and it made quite a difference.

Top Bottom