NUD A’ Coming: Bean Sprout Baritone

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As I noted in another thread: I bought Jerry’s Bean Sprout Instruments build spot. I’ve ordered a Port Orford Cedar and Walnut baritone. Should be ready by end of April I think. Here are the two models I based my wood selection on:

Last edited:
Going for the wabi sabi. Here’s the wood set I’ve selected:

Top Port Orford Cedar:
5563CDE6-59EF-496D-B237-365CF6EAA9A1.jpg

Walnut Back and sides:
E6CB6B9F-E3B9-4A36-90EF-A8E22CD66886.jpg

Now I need to make a decision about the neck shape. I don’t think I really like the standard C shape but maybe that’s better ergonomically? Any suggestions from baritone players? I do like the feel of the LFDM necks.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your upcoming Beansprout baritone. I love both wood samples you picked, lots of character, grain and color.

I have a Mya Moe baritone, owned a tenor. Their neck profile has a flat spot on the bottom, not sure if Aaron is carrying on that tradition. I also love my LfdMs neck profile and have specified it in other builds. Best bet is to talk to Aaron and see what he offers and what he can do

Congratulations on your upcoming Beansprout baritone. I love both wood samples you picked, lots of character, grain and color.

I have a Mya Moe baritone, owned a tenor. Their neck profile has a flat spot on the bottom, not sure if Aaron is carrying on that tradition. I also love my LfdMs neck profile and have specified it in other builds. Best bet is to talk to Aaron and see what he offers and what he can do

Thanks. I have been communicating with Aaron and he says he will accommodate. I played one of the BEansprout baritones and the neck felt very round to me. Similar to a Blackbird Farallon if my memory serves. I should rephrase the question to, what do you baritone players prefer? I play a Pono baritone and the neck is more a D. It’s okay.

Thanks. I have been communicating with Aaron and he says he will accommodate. I played one of the BEansprout baritones and the neck felt very round to me. Similar to a Blackbird Farallon if my memory serves. I should rephrase the question to, what do you baritone players prefer? I play a Pono baritone and the neck is more a D. It’s okay.
Love the wood choices. As far as the neck shape, it matters not what other players prefer. If the Pono is "okay" you must have some idea what you don't like about it. Try to communicate that to Aaron and I'm sure he'll do his best to remedy

Congratulations. the baritone ukuleles in both of those videos sound great!

As for the neck, I agree with Jim. Tell Aaron what you like and what you don't like about the baritone necks you've tried, and I'm sure he'll be able to accommodate you.

Now I need to make a decision about the neck shape. I don’t think I really like the standard C shape but maybe that’s better ergonomically? Any suggestions from baritone players? I do like the feel of the LFDM necks.

Have you ever considered a D shaped neck? I know I never would have. However, after I received one on my custom uke, it became my new standard. I will never own another without a flattened oval neck (and a Florentine cutaway).

I know neck shape is important to you so be sure to get it right. I don't want to see this one in the Marketplace a week after you receive it. :D

I have an assortment of neck shapes if you want to try some.

Love it! I have an alto of all myrtle from Aaron with the wabi sabi and it is gorgeous. Really interesting wood every time you look at it. Aaron also was very accommodating with my neck because of my arthritis. I ended up getting what he called a modified C neck and it turned out really good. Can't wait to hear more when you get it. Please post more pictures when it is done. I will be interested to hear what you think about your wood combination after you play it. I love to get ukes with the different woods that are not usually that common. Enjoy the process.

Love it! I have an alto of all myrtle from Aaron with the wabi sabi and it is gorgeous. Really interesting wood every time you look at it. Aaron also was very accommodating with my neck because of my arthritis. I ended up getting what he called a modified C neck and it turned out really good. Can't wait to hear more when you get it. Please post more pictures when it is done. I will be interested to hear what you think about your wood combination after you play it. I love to get ukes with the different woods that are not usually that common. Enjoy the process.
Thanks. Will do.

Wow a beautiful looking and sounding baritone! Congrats and enjoy it!!

Wow, that looks great and sounds perfect! Congrats!

Top Bottom