How many ukuleles to a festival?

tooney

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I searched to see if this topic had been covered before. I didn't find anything, and apologize if this is a repeat.

Going to my first ukulele festival this weekend. I'm registered for a few workshops and was considering bringing one strung low G and one re-entrant. How many ukuleles have folks on the forum brought to a festival? Just curious. I'm concerned about feeling generally loaded down, leaving one at the hotel (there will be one circumstance where I would only be able to bring one with me), and perhaps regretting that I'd brought 2. Or bringing one and thinking nertz, I could have brought two.

I'd appreciate your thought and input.

Thanks very much.

That's a simple decision for me, since I only play tenor re-entrant, I only have to bring one.

I usually bring one.

I went to the International Ukulele Festival this past weekend and I had the dilemma of which uke to bring because I really wanted to take Abe Lagrimas' workshop and it specified high g and I mostly play low g.

I ended up bringing the uke I made because it's the easiest to switch out strings.

So, I've still never brought more than one.

I take my favourite uke, and only that one, because I like learning new stuff on the uke that I'm most familiar with and most comfortable playing.

I take two, one low G and one re-entrant. Some workshops are aimed at a particular tuning.

I'm taking an introduction to jazz, which specified tenor uke, but not tuning. I thought low g would sound great, and it would work nicely in a couple of the other workshops. Re-entrant would sound better for the other workshops, but If I end up having to bring a portable stand I'm going to feel like a pack mule. :)

You're all echoing my thoughts. Except for the part about making a uke. :cool:

I appreciate these replies!

You only need one. And it's less to worry about.

You only need one. And it's less to worry about.

Thank you, Sukie. You're right - why should I have to worry about anything while I'm there to have fun and learn a few things?

Oh yay! I even bought a Hawaiian shirt for entry in "loudest" category. Are you going on the train ride Sunday morning too?

I usually bring one.

I went to the International Ukulele Festival this past weekend and I had the dilemma of which uke to bring because I really wanted to take Abe Lagrimas' workshop and it specified high g and I mostly play low g.

I ended up bringing the uke I made because it's the easiest to switch out strings.

So, I've still never brought more than one.

I had to look up Abe Lagrimas - thank you. I always appreciate hearing new (to me) names of musicians. I'm taking a workshop with Gerald Ross.

P.S. "Passionately Untalented" - I may steal that. :s Well, borrow. I'll attribute. :)

Depends how I'm travelling. If I'm going on public transport, I take one, my Flea. If I'm going by car, probably two, a soprano and a tenor.

Car. I had been considering a concert & a tenor..... No, NO! I made up my mind. Maybe.

....I'm taking a workshop with Gerald Ross./QUOTE]

You're doomed. You will see him play his lap steel. You will fall in love with lap steel. You will tell yourself that lap steel would be a great addition to your ukulele videos (that are only in your head). You will then have to get a lap steel. Seriously. How do I know this? Experience.

And if it is true for you? Let me know. You can buy mine.

See you there!

See you both there :)
I was thinking of bringing high G and low G uke but I probably end up just bringing my "beater" strung high G. Still not sure…

edited to add: looking forward to Gerald's workshops. He's a member here, if I'm not mistaken he plays high G. Maybe he'll see this and chime in...

You could just take 1 and an extra G or g string. Changing a string doesn't take long if you really need to do it.

Seems strange that they'd specify tenor. I can't really imagine what they'd teach you that if you took say, a concert, you wouldn't be able to do.

The few uke festivals that I have attended, unless stated otherwise, the seminars and classes were re-entrant oriented. People showing up with anything different spent more time trying to figure out how to make whatever they brought to work for them, than they actually spent learning something. Plus, it is always easier to travel light.

Top Bottom