Aquila ukulele sugar strings: are there available a few haters because squeack noise?

One thing I noticed testing these new Sugars: I ended up with 5-6 string wraps around each of the tuner posts. That despite my usual practice of going through the post hole with the string, then winding with the first wrap over the top of the string, and the rest of the wraps below, sandwiching the string end between 2 wraps to hold it. . When I start, I get as much slack out of the string and keep it as tight as I can, before and while winding. Not sure if having 5-6 wraps would contribute to a string snapping, but kinda doubt it. Maybe they stretch more? I usually get 4 wraps max when using this stringing method.

When stringing, if I instead go through the hole, around the post, then back through the same hole again before winding, will that reduce the number of wraps?

Last edited:
My set of new test Sugars arrived yesterday. (I had been out of town and a friend picked them up when they were delivered last week.) I plan to put them on an instrument later today and will report back. In fact, that instrument has a set of the old Sugars on it right now, so I hope to be able to do a pretty good comparison of the look, feel, and sound.

I should note that the old Sugars I have on had been around long enough that they had pretty much lost their squeak. They had a date stamp of 3/2018 and had been sitting in a box in my closet for some time. I had bought a couple of sets a while back to see if I could live with the squeak (I couldn't) so one of the sets just got stored away. I decided to go ahead and put them on an instrument several weeks (maybe months? I have lost all track of time...) when I heard that new Sugars were happening, just to be able to compare. I was surprised to find that they had very little squeak when I put them on, and what was there diminished rapidly. I suspect, but can't prove, that whatever made the old ones so squeaky breaks down over time. I'll also note that this was the longest I had left Sugars on; the squeak always drove me so crazy that I just couldn't take it.

I had a set of Sugars on two tenors. Couldn't stand the squeak after two weeks I removed them from one tenor but left them on a Pono ATD I didn't play much. I pick it up once a week or so to see what was happening. It took two months before the squeak was almost gone. I could make it squeak if I tried hard by pinching the strings between my fingers and sliding up and down the string.

So it did seem to go away after a time.

I liked the sound of them. Sort of a mix of Nylon & Fluro sounds. But, I'm not a fan of thick strings, and having to wait weeks for the squeak to go away isn't worth the agony.

Glad to read that the new version has the squeak mostly mostly licked.

My 3rd A string has held so far, but I have it tuned down 1/2 step in B tuning, which I like better anyway. So far, so good. Tone is excellent, good feel, no squeak.

My 3rd A string has held so far, but I have it tuned down 1/2 step in B tuning, which I like better anyway. So far, so good. Tone is excellent, good feel, no squeak.

Years ago when I had a tenor I found that I really like Bb tuning

Ok, so yesterday I managed to find some time to re-string my uke with the new test-sugar strings. The instrument in question is a spruce top concert KoAloha Opio. As per my previous message in this thread, that instrument had the old Sugar strings on it.

As others have noted, the strings do look different. They have a more milky appearance. To illustrate, here are three images; the first is the original Sugar, the second has the G and C strings replaced, and the final has all four replaced.

i-hq58xgN-S.jpg
i-nCHSR3Q-S.jpg
i-QsthZpH-S.jpg

The new strings are slightly thicker. Not terribly so, but all four seem to be just a tad thicker. Here is a comparison of the C string, original on the left, new on the right.

i-hnTDMrM-M.jpg

Sound wise, my initial impression is that the new Sugars are a bit more mellow than the original. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact on this particular instrument I think I like the tone of the new ones more than the old ones. The combination of the spruce top and the incredible chime-like original Sugars made this a bit too brash for me. The new Sugars seem to take just a tiny bit of the edge off. They are still fairly chime like, just not as pronounced as they were. That's the good news.

Now for the bad news. They still squeak a little. Not as much as the originals did (when they were brand new), but they do still squeak enough that I still find it annoying. They have only been on for one day, and I haven't had much time to play it. I am going to give it a few more days and more play time to see how it develops. To put things into perspective: when I put on my first set of Sugars, back when the first iteration had just been introduced, I took them off again in just under an hour. The squeak drove me absolutely insane. The new formulation has not quite driven me mad yet, and if the squeak fades some more, I think I will leave them on as I rather like how this instrument sounds with them, at least strummed.

(I should also note that I am a finger-pad picker, not a nail picker. I prefer the sound and the feel of playing this way.)

Last edited:
Ok, so yesterday I managed to find some time to re-string my uke with the new test-sugar strings. The instrument in question is a spruce top concert KoAloha Opio. As per my previous message in this thread, that instrument had the old Sugar strings on it.

As others have noted, the strings do look different. They have a more milky appearance. To illustrate, here are three images; the first is the original Sugar, the second has the G and C strings replaced, and the final has all four replaced.

i-hq58xgN-S.jpg
i-nCHSR3Q-S.jpg
i-QsthZpH-S.jpg

The new strings are slightly thicker. Not terribly so, but all four seem to be just a tad thicker. Here is a comparison of the C string, original on the left, new on the right.

i-hnTDMrM-M.jpg

Sound wise, my initial impression is that the new Sugars are a bit more mellow than the original. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact on this particular instrument I think I like the tone of the new ones more than the old ones. The combination of the spruce top and the incredible chime-like original Sugars made this a bit too brash for me. The new Sugars seem to take just a tiny bit of the edge off. They are still fairly chime like, just not as pronounced as they were. That's the good news.

Now for the bad news. They still squeak a little. Not as much as the originals did (when they were brand new), but they do still squeak enough that I still find it annoying. They have only been on for one day, and I haven't had much time to play it. I am going to give it a few more days and more play time to see how it develops. To put things into perspective: when I put on my first set of Sugars, back when the first iteration had just been introduced, I took them off again in just under an hour. The squeak drove me absolutely insane. The new formulation has not quite driven me mad yet, and if the squeak fades some more, I think I will leave them on as I rather like how this instrument sounds with them, at least strummed.

(I should also note that I am a finger-pad picker, not a nail picker. I prefer the sound and the feel of playing this way.)

Nice review. Let us know if the squeak persists.

Good review Cluze, thanks for the pics. The change in appearance of the new strings is quite clear from your picture. I am a Convert to, and lover of the original sugars. I don't have any major issues with the squeak. I just love the tone, ballance, overall sound and feel of the original sugars, they seem to suit my style. Interesting to note that you feel the new sugars may have a slightly wider girth. Other than the Squeak issues, I am interested to learn more from the reviews of the other testers of how these string differ from the originals. Thanks for the review Cluze.

I didn't notice a change in the girth of the string myself. If there is a difference it's negligible so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Ok, it has been a little while, but in my defense, I have been busy dealing with <gestures everywhere> the world falling apart...

Now that the strings have fully settled in, they sound great. The squeak, when finger picked, is still there, but much reduced. I still notice it, but it is not maddening anymore.

As for strummed, I don't think that this instrument has ever sounded better! It's great with the new Sugars.

I believe this was commented on by someone else, but I think they might be a bit stretchier than other strings. I changed them the exact same way I always do when changing strings, but by the time they settled in, there was a lot more wrapped around the tuning peg than I usually end up with. It isn't really a problem, but it was something I noticed.

I'm been using some of the 1st & 2nd gen sugars and have always liked the way they sound, especially on a couple of my laminates that really makes them shine. I would like to know if the package has changed in any way so as to identify this 3rd gen?
Tx
jfk

I'm been using some of the 1st & 2nd gen sugars and have always liked the way they sound, especially on a couple of my laminates that really makes them shine. I would like to know if the package has changed in any way so as to identify this 3rd gen?
Tx
jfk

As far as I know, the new 3rd gen have not actually be released yet. I was sent mine as a "beta tester", and they were just in a plain plastic sleeve.

Tx
jfk

Here's Mimmo's answer from a few pages back:

well, I will add on the envelope a small gold or yellow star written: 'squeckless'.
So will be iImpossible to confond the new ones with the old version.
However before to go ahead I wait the verdict of all the Sugar string haters!
Take care
Mimmo
Stevia ? ja, in my cappucino dude...

Any thoughts on when they may arrive in stores?

when.... Aquila is closed due coronavirus problem that is around our villages and houses. Almost all the factory are closed and we all are closed in our houses since 1 month. We suppose another month in our houses. Nobody here in Italy knows when we can re -open. Not possible any prevision not only for stores but also if Aquila will survive after this disaster. Of course we will do our best: never ever give up.
sorry
Mimmo

Last edited:
when.... Aquila is closed due coronavirus problem that is around our villages and houses. Almost all the factory are closed and we all are closed in our houses since 1 month. We suppose another month in our houses. Nobody here in Italy knows when we can re -open. Not possible any prevision not only for stores but also if Aquila will survive after this disaster. Of course we will do our best: never ever give up.
sorry
Mimmo

Yes, so sorry to hear. I hope you stay healthy and that Aquila will survive. I know the situation is very tough there, although not so good here in the US either. Best wishes.

Best of luck to you Mimmo. We all hope you will be able to hang on and come back stronger than ever.

You have people here pulling for you and willing to help if we can.

That's Sad news indeed, First and foremost, i trust that you are keeping well Mimmo, here in Spain we are approaching our 4th week of a very tight and strict lockdown with fines for disobedience of up to 60,000€, (yup sixty thousand) and they are being imposed. So i understand what you are going through as i am sure do many others in a very similar situation...Stay safe my friend and lets hope it will all be resolved very soon. Lets hope that the strength and resolve will see us all through and the economy will bounce back. Playing the Uke would not be the same experience for me without Aquila's. I look forward to the new strings becoming available in the stores. Best regards to all and stay safe.

Well,
right now we are making (at no cost) the 3d printer PLA monofilament so, in the hospitals or elsewere, they can make that special device for those modified masks for oxygen treatment of the Coronavirus patients in the northern Italy hospitals. We are located in Northen Italy.
This is what what doing right now. No ukulele strings for this time with this extruder plant.
I have converted it for this job (and it is a great job, believe me). We have to do 150 Kg (this is the quantity to produce, more or less, 20,000 pieces of these devices: I suspect that they are also for other EU countries)
Sorry guys (but we have a good stock)

Mimmo

Attachments

• qqqqqq.jpg
    qqqqqq.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Wishing you the best in all this, Mimmo! I do hope that Aquilastrings is able to come through, hopefully stronger than ever. I know that there are a lot of fans of your strings, not just here in the forums, but all over the world.

And thank you for what you are doing now, helping the efforts with the monofilament. People like you are how we, all humanity, will get through this difficult time.

Stay safe!

Top Bottom