Uluru Lehua IIICX Koa Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Wow that does look nice. Pricey to be sure, but not outrageously so. And it's just nice to see something top notch from time to time. I don't happen to like the look of the red wood strip, but I'm sure others will. And IIRC that final score is just 0.1 below your all time highest.

Yep - one notch off the best scores - I can't find anything wrong with the build or finish. Any gripes with looks are totally personal and not really relevant - but the sound is oustanding. So rich and shimmery. Wonderful uke

Interesting review - thanks Baz.

I learned lots too. I kinda had Uluru pegged in firmly in the middleground, but this seems top notch.
How did it compare fit finish and sound wise to original moon bird you reviewed?

They are on a par on both - different sound, but I couldn't separate them. Finish is just as good - I suppose the Moon Bird is a bit more 'different' and interesting, but that's very subjective.

Interesting, I had been wondering about Uluru. They're not the most commonly known brand, at least for me. I did see some of their ukes on a few different websites a couple of months ago but now World of Ukes seems to be almost the only shop selling them, at least in Europe. Nice to know that it seems to be a quality brand.

I've known about them for years, but find it really odd this is the first time i've even seen one in the flesh. I too had (wrongly) assumed they were a cheaper brand. Their lower levels are plainer and more like entry Pono or mid range Kala - but this is off the scale. I 'think' their cheaper ones are factory made - these are hand made.

World of Ukes is not the only place, the big German uke shop also sells them. They also stock the more plain models.
Trying to research the brand, it seems that they for in pretty bad standing in this forum for ripping off some Moore Bettah inlays 5-10 years ago. I wonder if that is forgotten by now or you will still get the eye if you are sporting an Uluru ukulele...

Does anybody have experience with their plain koa model?
https://www.ukulele.de/concert/272/koa-concert-aus-massivholz?c=50

Last edited:
World of Ukes is not the only place, the big German uke shop also sells them. They also stock the more plain models.
Trying to research the brand, it seems that they for in pretty bad standing in this forum for ripping off some Moore Bettah inlays 5-10 years ago. I wonder if that is forgotten by now or you will still get the eye if you are sporting an Uluru ukulele...

Does anybody have experience with their plain koa model?
https://www.ukulele.de/concert/272/koa-concert-aus-massivholz?c=50

I never said they were the only source... but.. there we are.

I rather liked it.

Ho hum..

I own a plain ULURU KOA I (soprano) and my wife a plain mango soprano models. They are very enjoyable ukes, light weight, feel really good in the hands and have very sweet sound. I didn't know how to describe the complexity of the sound, until I read Barry's review and I fully agree each of the ukes is sounding like having more than four strings at play.

Caution though, the internet blog (in Chinese) informs that ULURU has been making their plain "KOA" models with acacia but not Hawaiian KOA since 2015.
https://citychords.pixnet.net/blog/post/449877515

I never said they were the only source... but.. there we are.

I rather liked it.

Ho hum..

Sorry for the confusion, it was Dohle who wrote that there were hard to find other places in Europe.

@GrayLights
Good to know!
The whole Koa or Akacia thing is not that important to me, except they should of course label it right.
So one more uke I have to restrain myself from buying...

Last edited:
As mentioned above, there was quite some heat on this forum towards that brand back in 2013 when they copied the design of Chuck Moore Bettah ukulele, resulting in an official apology from Uluru (Ayers Guitar). For those interested in a little history, here are the threads from back then, including Uluru's big apology which is well worth reading:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...u-Blog-and-found-more-Moore-Bettah-copies-WOW

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?82643-Buyer-beware-uluru-ukuleles-ayers-guitars

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?84717-Uluru-Ukulele-Apology

While the Uluru brand and Ayers guitars have been somewhat discredited/boycotted on this forum ever since, from what I understand, they also build the Vietnamese import line for a highly respected Californian luthier who's unusual designs are well loved among forum members, including myself (I have to admit that I have been a bit sceptical about their use of the word Koa).

As a decorative artist of the John Ruskin school I was thrilled skinny when someone copied my work. It was no skin off my nose, and the copy was very well executed.
I took it as a compliment.
I have a painting signed ¨Gauguin¨ in the music room for which I paid 12€ in the local street market -- the brushwork is terrible but the colours are very pleasant.
Without my glasses, it´s close to the real thing.

I can see that there are contrary opinions, which I regard as equally valid to my own, the difference might be that I evaluate a piece of art simply on its merits...
Not it´s provenance.
It´s either good or it´s not, regardless of who is responsible. I think no-one can ¨own ¨an idea, (not a very commercial opinion).

People used to suggest that I sign my work, not understanding that my work was my signature.
If something depends on a signature for its value, that´s the property market, not the Art World.
Having got that off my wizened chest ...

My Uluru Koa lll, bought in Morecambe 4 or 5 years back for about 400 quid is a lovely thing.
There was once an Indian princess who made her handmaids wear the jewellery -- she didn't need it.
My Uluru sits demure on the rack, the purity of its build somehow eclipsing the decoration of the rest.
It might have a questionable past ... but who am I to talk?

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion, it was Dohle who wrote that there were hard to find other places in Europe.

I actually completely forgot that you could find Uluru ukes at the Ukulele Surfer Shop because they list their ukes really confusingly. For some of their listings, including Uluru, they don't even have the name of the brand...

Top Bottom