My New Bending Pipe(s)

Brett S.

Reaction score
I really like how this has turned out and just wanted to share.

I'm heating it with 3 small 100 watt halogen bulbs. They are controllable by a dimmer. 2 bulbs in the larger pipe, and 1 in the smaller seems perfect. Pipes are 2 1/8" and 1 3/8" outer diameter, heavy wall copper.
Heats up very quickly and works really well. Right away I bent 4 sides and it went really well. The light sockets and wires are rated to handle high heat, and the more vulnerable wire and connections are far enough from the heat to not be a problem. All that's missing now is an indicator light to tell if it is on or not.

The pipe fittings are glavanized steel, but then transition to copper. I feel the copper was well worth the added expense.

IMG_20191216_074120187.jpgIMG_20191215_203947480.jpg

I don't want to be a safety nag but I've read warnings about zinc fumes that come off galvanized steel when heated. I don't know the exact temps but BBQ enthusiasts are warned to steer clear of the stuff. Maybe you should try to swap them out for cast iron?

I don't want to be a safety nag but I've read warnings about zinc fumes that come off galvanized steel when heated. I don't know the exact temps but BBQ enthusiasts are warned to steer clear of the stuff. Maybe you should try to swap them out for cast iron?

I've never heard this before and will look into it, but FWIW the galvanized part doesn't get that hot, so maybe this will help? Do you know what temps we are talking about for that to happen?

Besides making ukulele & other instruments, I also do some blacksmithing and other metal work. So I can say that the concern being raised is in regards to zinc poisoning....And yes it is serious.....
If I recall correctly the temp it starts to be a concern is around 300-400degrees F but I cannot recall off the top of my head....

I personally would not risk it as it would be easy to swap out and besides making you miserable, it can straight up kill ya....Some say if you are not seeing the yellowish smoke coming off the piece you are fine, but I do not work with any heating of galvanized metal as the stuff is dangerous and there is a point at which it is not noticeable there is a problem. I say this because I know of a long time blacksmith (over 50 years in the trade), who knew about zinc poisoning and ended up six feet under because he was not aware that it was flashing off.....

Point is, please be careful and for those who are thinking of building one of these just use the non-galvanized parts as they are pretty much the same price and availability anyway...

By the way.....Cool bender.

Besides making ukulele & other instruments, I also do some blacksmithing and other metal work. So I can say that the concern being raised is in regards to zinc poisoning....And yes it is serious.....
If I recall correctly the temp it starts to be a concern is around 300-400degrees F but I cannot recall off the top of my head....

I personally would not risk it as it would be easy to swap out and besides making you miserable, it can straight up kill ya....Some say if you are not seeing the yellowish smoke coming off the piece you are fine, but I do not work with any heating of galvanized metal as the stuff is dangerous and there is a point at which it is not noticeable there is a problem. I say this because I know of a long time blacksmith (over 50 years in the trade), who knew about zinc poisoning and ended up six feet under because he was not aware that it was flashing off.....

Point is, please be careful and for those who are thinking of building one of these just use the non-galvanized parts as they are pretty much the same price and availability anyway...

By the way.....Cool bender.

WOW! Thanks for that. Definitely not worth the risk, though I was totally unaware of this.

Top Bottom