Best case for Cocobolo concert?

UkingViking

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Any recommendations for upgrades to a case for Cocobolo concert ukuleles?

I bought mine with a uke crazy case. At least it says uke crazy on it, dont know if there are more than one model. It is pretty neat, both hard and light. Without a strap button it would be a perfect fit. But with the strap button on I need to angle it in to fit it. The uke is 630 mm long. I read that concerts are usually about 580 mm and tenors about 660 mm. So really closer to tenor length.

Any suggestions for cases that would be better for this size ukulele, in between concert and tenor in size?

In my opinion, as long as it's a hard case, it's fine. Now, If you're going to do a lot of traveling with it - especially on planes - then you want a strong, sturdy case. I have all my ukes in hard cases for protection and cleanliness, as well as for humidification.

As for the fit, it's easy enough to insert some padding to take up the slack if the uke slides around in the case. A classy way to do it is to cut a piece of foam the right size and then cover it with material like what you have inside the case. I've been wanting to customize a case, like in the video below, but I don't have a need - yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWRfFB3Pz3o

My cedar-topped Cocobolo Concert fits very nicely in this Crossrock hard case. I do have a strap button installed but it doesn't cause any fit issues.
This particular model number is CRW700CUTW, but other Crossrock concert cases should be OK.

Crossrock Case.jpg

@Jerryc41
Thanks for the idea, but I am hoping to find something that fits perfectly as is.
Otherwise this will adapt a tenor case to fit it of course.

@Snargle
Thanks for the suggestion.
Those crossrock cases do look nice also!
Edit: Just discovered that cross rock cases are apparently not available i the EU. I am not sure I will go through the same costums expenses for the case as I did for the ukulele.

Btw, I just tried to to fit my Cocobolo into the Kinsman hardcase i use for my Kamaka Tiki concert and my Cort concert (Which is modeled on the Martin size).
The body won't even fit there.
I wonder if it is a soprano case that just happens to fit perfectly for small concert ukes. I didn't pick the case myself.

Last edited:
I believe Cocobolo themselves offer a Kala hard case for the concert model so I would try that first and foremost. Or alternatively any hard case that have the same dimensions as the Kala one.

I believe Cocobolo themselves offer a Kala hard case for the concert model so I would try that first and foremost. Or alternatively any hard case that have the same dimensions as the Kala one.

They offer either Kala UC Hard Polyfoam Ukulele Case, or the Kala Vintage Alligator Hard Case. Both say "Uke Crazy" on them.
Anyway, I opted for the Hard Polyfoam Case, since I dislike the faux aligator case. If they had offered a tweed case or something like that, I might have taken the luxury option.

It is the Kala UC Hard Polyfoam Ukulele Case it was shipped in which is just a bit short when a strap button is attached. It will fit, but i need to put the headstock first into the groove it has made in the lining, then lower the body into the case. If I put the body down first, the headstock wont fit. A luxury problem, but if I could get a case that was both a perfect fit and looked awesome, that would be better.

I have a Crossrock case for one of mine, and a Gator case for the other. I know Uke Crazy hard shell cases are available in tweed - I have one of my Ohana Concert models in one.

-Kurt​

Has anybody experience with the Kala carbon abs case?
Specifically for the Cocobolo.

I'm a bit surprised. My Cocobolo concert has strap buttons, and it fits in the Uke Crazy case. I really like these cases because they're light and still offer good protection.

I'm a bit surprised. My Cocobolo concert has strap buttons, and it fits in the Uke Crazy case. I really like these cases because they're light and still offer good protection.

They are pretty cool. Not as classy as a Gator Journeyman or such, but lighter.

Since each Cocobolo is unique, I guess they can vary in lenght.
I just measured mine again. It is approximately 620 mm + button approximately 10 mm.
Online specs for the light case says that it is 629 mm long inside, but without foam compression I measure it at 620 mm.
So for it to fit, the pointy end of the headstock makes a 10 mm indentation in the foam.

I am not sure what to trust.
Looking at crossrock, the numbers I find online suggests that the fiber glass option is long enough, but too narrow, and that the ABS model is too short.
Looking at the Gator cases, it appears that the Journeyman is just a bit lunger, but too narrow at the upper bout.

Perhaps I should just get a tenor case - or stick with the one I have.

But my birtday is coming up, and I need to find something for my wife to give me :)

Looking at the Gator cases, it appears that the Journeyman is just a bit lunger, but too narrow at the upper bout.

Perhaps I should just get a tenor case - or stick with the one I have.

But my birtday is coming up, and I need to find something for my wife to give me :)

My First Cocobolo is a Concert, with the MiSi pickup, so it has the equivalent of endpins.

The case I have for it is: Gator Journeyman Series Deluxe Wood Case for Concert Ukuleles (GW-JM UKE-CON) , as purchased from Amazon.com.

Perfect fit, the case is not too narrow at the upper bout.

Just so you know, I did buy the case November 6, 2019, so there may have been a change in the manufacture of the case - I know that the ukuleles have changed somewhat.

-Kurt​

My First Cocobolo is a Concert, with the MiSi pickup, so it has the equivalent of endpins.

The case I have for it is: Gator Journeyman Series Deluxe Wood Case for Concert Ukuleles (GW-JM UKE-CON) , as purchased from Amazon.com.

Perfect fit, the case is not too narrow at the upper bout.

Just so you know, I did buy the case November 6, 2019, so there may have been a change in the manufacture of the case - I know that the ukuleles have changed somewhat.

-Kurt​

Good to know, thanks for the information!

I find contradicting specs on the inside size of it online. My Cocobolo is 156 mm on the upper bout. The Gator webpage says the space for the upper bout is smaller than the middle, that cant be right. And one vendor, where the other measuments differ from Gators webpage, claims it to be 146 mm.
Anyway, I am thinking on giving up on the quest for now. Noticing the positions of the strap hooks, the gator looks unpleasant to carry. And I think it is the only one that fits.
I will hope for the perfect case to show up. With the Covid around, it is not like I am going to haul my ukes around any time soon.

Hi Forum,

I am reviving my own old thread, as I never got around to buy a new case in the winter.
The season comes closer where I might want to bring my uke to outdoors events like campfires etc. Hence I would soon like some good protection for it.

As great as the Gator Journeyman looks, I am hoping to find an ABS case. It will be lighter to carry, and be better in case of a rain shower.
The models made seems to be:
- Crossrock ABS case
- Kala Charcoal ABS case
- TGI ABS Case.

The TGI has a few thing going for it: It is actually in stock in the EU, it is cheaper, and it seems to be the biggest - no chance of the uke not fitting.
One thing worries me though, besides the other models being prettier:
I can find no pictures online of the back side of the case.
The other models have a ring for strap attachment on the back, flat, side of the case near the headstock. I cant tell if the TGI has one. Does anyone have a TGI case and can enlighen me on this?

I assume that attaching at the flat side will make it way more comfortable to carry, regardless of whether I use one strap across my back, backpack configurations, or want to hook it onto a backpack that I carry. Living in Copenhagen, where bicycling though town is a common mean of transportation, I would want a case I can sling over my back in case I want to take it somewhere.
Does anyone have experience carrying hardcases using straps, and can share their thoughts on attachment places?

I hope someone can help with this info :)

Top Bottom