Intonation problem - on one string.

In my experience, this is usually down to a poor tolerance to the string itself.

What has worked for me in the past is untying the string then retying it the other way round (so the nut end is now at the bridge and vice versa). If your intonation is OK after that, you don't need to worry about strings for a while.

You have nothing to lose!

Ingenious, never heard that before. I would never have thought of that myself. :shaka:

Well, that's a new one! It never occurred to me that a string might perform better one way than the other. Now I'm wondering if just taking it off, and putting back on again didn't do the trick. I can't figure out what turning it around would accomplish. But regardless, congratulations on a problem solved!!!

Well, that's a new one! It never occurred to me that a string might perform better one way than the other. Now I'm wondering if just taking it off, and putting back on again didn't do the trick. I can't figure out what turning it around would accomplish. But regardless, congratulations on a problem solved!!!

My suspicion is that your start point is that if a string appears to be perfectly made, and/or has passed the manufacturer’s quality assurance checks, then it is perfect. However faults in material manufacture happen and likewise in the conversion of raw material into finished goods. Such faults are usually noticed before they reach the customer but they are certainly not always ‘sufficiently visible’ to ensure that all products are defect free.

If a string has a ‘hidden defect’ somewhere along its active length then reversing its orientation can do two things:
1) it might reposition the defect outside of the run between nut and saddle so that that defect no longer can have an impact.
2) it might reposition the defect within the run between nut and saddle but to some point where it has less impact.

That’s my understanding, I hope that it helps someone.

Last edited:
Learning something new every day. But wait! If the string goes sharp down the fret board and you reverse the string, shouldn't it go flat?? :rolleyes: :p

Learning something new every day. But wait! If the string goes sharp down the fret board and you reverse the string, shouldn't it go flat?? :rolleyes: :p

If he says it works, I believe him. It's fixed, leave it alone!:D

Top Bottom