1940's Martin Soprano

Timbuck

Reaction score
I bought this as a comparison model, so that I can take measurements and compare them to the other Martin that I already own. All these style 0 ukes seem to be slightly different to each other due to the different craftsmen who made them at the factory over the years. This one arrived today from the US well packed in two large boxes with enough polystyrene chippings to fill a paddling pool:) I tuned it up straight from the box and gave it a strum..It was tinny sounding lacking in mid tone and volume in fact quite disappointing:( maybe this is down to a couple of small cracks on the edge of the lower bout soundboard or the ancient strings that came with it...So I'll gave it a a good refurb/TLC repair the cracks fit some new strings and see if it improves. I will report back later.
s-l500 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
martin close up by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
What vintage have you used previously as your model? (you may have mentioned before, but I don't recall)

It looks like a nice example of the type, Ken, but those strings look awful! I'd wager that a set of Worths - or even some fishing line! - will show its true colours.

John Colter.

What vintage have you used previously as your model? (you may have mentioned before, but I don't recall)
1930's is the first one. this 1940's has some differences first thing i've noticed is the headstock angle and nut transition.I'll show some sketches later.

Last edited:
1030's is the first one. this 1940's has some differences first thing i've noticed is the headstock angle and nut transition.I'll show some sketches later.

Wow, that is downright medieval! ;)

I'd be interested to hear what differences you find and what effect you think they have.

I hope your vaccinations are up to date before touching those strings!

I suspect that the further back you go with Martin, or any factory instrument, the more "handmade" they become. That allows for more mistakes, or drifting from the plan, than actual design changes. I have a 1920's Martin "0", with the name stamped on the back of the head from before they had the decal. It's in good shape still, and although it is not a great sounding uke, It's amazing that it is still a playable instrument after nearly 100 years! We should all be so lucky with our work

I fixed the cracks and one or two other defects, like the end of the nut had broken off. Then I gave it to Mrs T to clean up and refurb the FP. She started off cleaning off the dirt, which turns out to be around 65 years of thick layers of nicotine contamination.:uhoh: Yuck !!...No wonder the old nylon strings looked like Worth Browns. ;)

IMG_4256 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
I fixed the cracks and one or two other defects, like the end of the nut had broken off. Then I gave it to Mrs T to clean up and refurb the FP. She started off cleaning off the dirt, which turns out to be around 65 years of thick layers of nicotine contamination.:uhoh: Yuck !!...No wonder the old nylon strings looked like Worth Browns. ;)

What is Mrs T using to clean off the dirt, might it be mentholated spirts?

Just out of historical interest I wonder what diameter nylon strings were used and how worn they are under the grime. Would it have been tuned in D or C with the original strings as fitted? I wonder how different your ‘new’ Martin sounds with nylon (which it was built for?) and today’s fluorocarbon strings too.

Last edited:
What is Mrs T using to clean off the dirt, might it be mentholated spirts?

Just out of historical interest I wonder what diameter nylon strings were used and how worn they are under the grime. Would it have been tuned in D or C with the original strings as fitted? I wonder how different your ‘new’ Martin sounds with nylon (which it was built for?) and today’s fluorocarbon strings too.
Mentholated Spirits...Thats for blocked up noses :) .. I think you mean Methylated spirits it a name given to alcohol dyed with Methylene blue (same stuff you put in fish tanks) and given a nasty taste so that achoholics are put off from drinking it.....It does taste bad tho :rolleyes:
The strings are not badly worn, just covered in this brown muck.
Diameters are G= .025" C= .038" E= .031 A= .022"

Last edited:
About twenty years ago, I bought some genuine Martin ukulele strings from a music shop that was closing down. They were, of course unused old stock - synthetic, not gut. They were really awful! I had several sets, and they were all as bad.

John Colter.

I found a late 1920s style 1 last year. It was dark and grungy but after cleaning (and cleaning and cleaning) it's ten shades lighter. A real beauty. A very koa looking mahogany.
1927.jpg

Mentholated Spirits...Thats for blocked up noses :) .. I think you mean Methylated spirits it a name given to alcohol dyed with Methylene blue (same stuff you put in fish tanks) and given a nasty taste so that achoholics are put off from drinking it.....It does taste bad tho :rolleyes:
The strings are not badly worn, just covered in this brown muck.
Diameters are G= .025" C= .038" E= .031 A= .022"

Yes, thanks, Methylated Spirits, that’s the stuff. Maybe I’m wrong but I believe that the meth’s on sale in the U.K. is poisonous to drink (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol_toxicity), should you survive then it just kills your kidneys and turns you blind.

Thanks for the string info. New nylon strings are available but not necessarily in those diameters - I suspect that the sizes fitted are the ones to aim for. With your Martin being a superior built instrument it would be interesting to know whether it works just fine with the nylon strings or is helped by the extra drive of fluorocarbon strings.

(For the reference of anyone who’s interested the nearest I could find on diameter are Alice AU046C, off of eBay and Amazon, 26,37,31,24, white nylon).

Edit. The above should have read (For the reference of anyone else who’s interested in the nylon strings used in the past the nearest that I could find on diameter are Alice AU046C, off of eBay and Amazon, 26,37,31,24, white nylon).

Last edited:
Yes, thanks, Methylated Spirits, that’s the stuff. Maybe I’m wrong but I believe that the meth’s on sale in the U.K. is poisonous to drink (in that it really does rot your brain).

Thanks for the string info. New nylon strings are available but not necessarily in those diameters - I suspect that the sizes fitted are the ones to aim for. With your Martin being a superior built instrument it would be interesting to know whether it works just fine with the nylon strings or is helped by the extra drive of fluorocarbon strings.

(For the reference of anyone who’s interested the nearest I could find on diameter are Alice AU046C, off of eBay and Amazon, 26,37,31,24, white nylon).

It's gonna be fitted with Aquila's or Fluorocarbon, Co's thats what I have in stock. :)

It's gonna be fitted with Aquila's or Fluorocarbon, Co's thats what I have in stock. :)

That selection makes complete sense to me, I’m just trying to learn about what was used in the past. Like others I’m looking forward to hearing about how the repairs turn out and how your new Martin compares to your older one. :)

Last edited:
When I got my Martin style 1, it was fitted with Aquila Nylguts. It sounded rather brash to my tender ears, so I fitted Worth Browns. Now it is much more mellifluous (lovely word!).

John Colter.

I use fluorocarbons on the rescued Martins, I just like the sound better than Aquila, but haven't tried the set of Aquila Reds yet.

My 60's style-0 came with Nylguts, and I actually like the sound.

When I change them out soon I plan on trying the Martin "premium" Polygut strings (made by Aquila) on it.
I love the way the Polygut strings sound on all my other solid mahogany ukes.

Top Bottom