Is it common to adjust fretting finger slightly during current beat?

wqking

Reaction score
When playing a note (or chord), I may find my one fretting finger position is not very good. By not very good, it means either the current voice is not that good, or it will be inconvenient for next chord (such as a finger is not well prepared because its position is not good).

In such situation, is it common for either Ukulele or Classical Guitar players to adjust the fretting finger during current note, or I should try to make the fretting fingers almost 100% accurate to avoid such situation?
Though I think I should aim to make the fretting fingers 100% accurate, I'm not sure whether the professional musicians will make such mistake in, for example, a concert, and whether they will adjust it.

I never encountered this, maybe someone else does. I hope they can chime in soon.

I never encountered this, maybe someone else does. I hope they can chime in soon.

I don't encounter it very often. I'm curious whether it's good to build the habit to adjust the finger position during playing a single note/chord. I myself don't think it's good habit, but I don't know how the musicians deal with such situation during a live concert, or maybe they never or rarely have such situation.

It depends.

If you're playing a song that you've already practiced, you should have already worked out the most efficacious transitions. There shouldn't be any surprises, so there's no need for adjustments.

However, if you're improvising, making adjustments is inherent in the process. For example, I went from an B minor to an A minor and I chorded A minor with my index finger. But halfway through the time I was playing the A minor chord, I switched to using the middle finger because I knew that would be better for the transition to the D major chord that I was planning on making.

So, to answer your question: no, it isn't common for experienced players to adjust; they are economic in their movements like cats. If you aren't so experience a player, do what you need to do to get through your song, but if there is a more efficient way to play the song, try to play it that way in the future

When playing a note (or chord), I may find my one fretting finger position is not very good. By not very good, it means either the current voice is not that good, or it will be inconvenient for next chord (such as a finger is not well prepared because its position is not good).

In such situation, is it common for either Ukulele or Classical Guitar players to adjust the fretting finger during current note, or I should try to make the fretting fingers almost 100% accurate to avoid such situation?
Though I think I should aim to make the fretting fingers 100% accurate, I'm not sure whether the professional musicians will make such mistake in, for example, a concert, and whether they will adjust it.

Making adjustments as you call them on the run, isn't considered "good" technique, yet its the kind of thing that I do all the time.
Don't sweat it.
Working on your technique isn't a bad thing to do but don't let it stop you playing or frustrate you.
Your technique will gradually improve.
Due to the nature of my hands, in one song I play I completely reposition my grip when going from 0553 to 0555 to 0557. This isn't good technique yet its a slow song so it works for me. I couldn't do a quick shuffle that way.
The most important thing to remember is that the beat is more important than a clean change. Practice so that you can be as clean as possible yet the beat is always more important. Never drop the beat trying to get a change right.

This is just a practical issue of musicality. Of course it's "best" if you play it right the first time. But short of that it's pretty simple, IMO.

If I'm listening to you play, I would way rather you correct the fingering ASAP than subjecting me - the listener - to another bar or two of the same buzzing note. Technique is all about: Don't just let it suck if you have the opportunity to control your destiny! ;)

As you adjust like this on the fly, you'll be learning the correct positioning. The next time you play the shape, use your past experience to gently correct for the mistakes you've made in the past.

Don't overthink it! Play and correct the best you can as you practice. You WILL get better.

Thanks all for the opinions.

If I'm listening to you play, I would way rather you correct the fingering ASAP than subjecting me - the listener - to another bar or two of the same buzzing note. Technique is all about: Don't just let it suck if you have the opportunity to control your destiny! ;)

That's good statement. ;)

The only chord that comes to mind is plain old C. I typically play that 0003. But, sometimes it makes better sense to use 0001, or 0002. I just do what seems easiest and smoothest.

The only chord that comes to mind is plain old C. I typically play that 0003. But, sometimes it makes better sense to use 0001, or 0002. I just do what seems easiest and smoothest.

Well technically 0001 is C7 and 0002 is Cmaj7 yet I don't think this is what the OP is really asking about.

Oh sure, sometimes you'll find that you've fingered yourself into a corner and need to adjust it.

Common? Eh . ..the more I practice, the less I do it, but I still do it.

If you watch a world-class player, SOMETIMES you'll catch them doing it. Sometimes it's a planned shift . . I do it on keyboard literally all the time. Sometimes it's a quick "whoops". What makes them "World-Class" is both of those look and sound the same.

Top Bottom