FS: Captain Ukulele Backpacker

Couloirman

Reaction score
One of the last Backpackers ever made, and one of the last he was willing to export out of his country. Great little uke, my hands are just too huge to get much use out of it. Comes with the padded sleeve case it came with. The uke has a pickup but I have never used it so can't comment on how that sounds. If you are looking for an awesome little travel uke, that is as unique as it gets, look no further than this little guy.

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Here is his description of the woods used and where they came from: The Kohekohe came from a farm just down the road from me. It was milled 13 years ago by an old guy I recently met, who was kind enough to part with some.
The Puriri came from the Victoria valley in Northland. It was a very large tree which was hit by lightening about 50 years ago, and was brought down some time later. The same old guy gave me a couple of small slabs he's been keeping in his shed for many years.
The Rewarewa was given to me by a friend living in Hunterville. He renovated a house and the attached shed. This Rewarewa was from a beam holding up a workbench.

http://captainukuleles.co.nz/backpacker.html

photo213.jpg

photo37.jpg

photo114.jpg

Last edited:
These are SUCH FUN! I love mine! The pickup works well & the uke is just wonderfully made. Clearly in limited supply since Bevan stopped making them. This is a great price as well. Great travel uke.

Mahalo

What are the body dimensions and scale length on this, pls?

Thanks!

All specs are listed on the website I linked. The page is not clickable since the model has been discontinued, but scroll down and you'll see dimensions. It is a standard concert scale length. I am selling it for what I paid which seems reasonable considering no one in the USA will ever be able to order another one from the Captain.

Sorry for not putting in size, I thought he only made these in concert size.

Concert: total length = 430mm, scale length = 14.75” width = 75mm, depth incl. saddle = 50mm

Last edited:
Thanks very much. I was wondering if he made concerts only since that was the ones that I could find on the website.

Thanks!

All specs are listed on the website I linked. The page is not clickable since the model has been discontinued, but scroll down and you'll see dimensions. It is a standard concert scale length. I am selling it for what I paid which seems reasonable considering no one in the USA will ever be able to order another one from the Captain.

Sorry for not putting in size, I thought he only made these in concert size.

Concert: total length = 430mm, scale length = 12” width = 75mm, depth incl. saddle = 50mm

There was a typo on Captain's website. This is a concert uke so the scale length is NOT 12", its 14.75

Thus, my PM. I was giddy and hopeful, but mistaken in that I thought it was a short-scale uke. :-(

A lot of messages but no one has pulled the trigger yet. I think I have responded to all PMs by now but if I forgot you shoot me another one and Ill reply.

Top Bottom