Never make due when you can buy something new.

Googling and reinforced in multiple replies: : "Make do is a verb phrase that means to use what’s available in non-ideal circumstances. Make do is the correct spelling. Make due is a historical variant that is no longer accepted."
According to the Google Books ngram viewer, these crossed in about 1944. Prior to that "make due" was more common and "make do" was almost unknown. Since 1944 "make do" increased greatly in popularity and "make due" dropped, though the 2008 ends of the graphs are changing direction. The American English and British English corpuses show essentially the same results.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/gra..._insensitive=on&year_start=1800&year_end=2008

FWIW: the ngram viewer doesn't show any instances of the term "nerd sniped" through 2009. I think it was coined in 2007 at https://xkcd.com/356/ and most recently demonstrated here, now.

Oh man, I love xkcd.

According to the Google Books ngram viewer, these crossed in about 1944. Prior to that "make due" was more common and "make do" was almost unknown. Since 1944 "make do" increased greatly in popularity and "make due" dropped, though the 2008 ends of the graphs are changing direction. The American English and British English corpuses show essentially the same results.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/gra..._insensitive=on&year_start=1800&year_end=2008

FWIW: the ngram viewer doesn't show any instances of the term "nerd sniped" through 2009. I think it was coined in 2007 at https://xkcd.com/356/ and most recently demonstrated here, now.

Googling and reinforced in multiple replies: : "Make do is a verb phrase that means to use what’s available in non-ideal circumstances. Make do is the correct spelling. Make due is a historical variant that is no longer accepted."

Different than "Honey do..." and "Money due..."

I prefer "make dew." it looks nicer. :D

A lot of the time I can't afford new so I have to make do with used. And why not? I'd love an old martin uke or Gibson UB1...

My poetry is way worse...

There once was a man from Perdue
Had a uke that he hoped to make do
Though he strummed with his pinkie
The sound was so stinky
It brought memories of Pepe Le Pew

View attachment 122988

It might be stinky, but I quite like it!

As an American, I strongly disagree. "Make due" is a patent mistake, even if (like "should of") it is widely written by the careless and may someday become standard usage, to the detriment of sense. To many of us, "do" and "due" are not even homonyms.

I do agree. The English language has become only worse and worse since it was adopted by North Americans.
I'm no grammar expert, but I get called the Grammar Police for picking on these dumb hicks around here who use the apostrophe where it doesn't belong. I have a hard time understanding Ebonics too.
I hope that the use of that word isn't considered racist. I try very hard to keep my mind and heart out of that gutter.

As an American, I strongly disagree. , even if (like "should of") it is widely written by the careless

Oh that really gets on my nerves. As well as the use of 'there' when it should be 'their'

Then there's 'to' where it should be 'too'

Wow, I didn't expect for a little slip in word usage to cause so much consternation.

Yeah, I took it as a minor slip as well.

If y'all get a chance to read it, "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Truss is a fun and informative book about punctuation.

Some of my bugaboos: "I should have went."; "I have to itch the mosquito bite."; "This jar hold 50 less jelly beans than that one."

Recently, and I've heard scientists use this: "That is 3.5 times smaller." Huh?

Language is a constantly evolving thing. We speak and write differently than out great, great grandparents did. And even as our grandparents did. Slang evolves even faster. Before too long, we'll have to know how to speak emoji...

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't expect for a little slip in word usage to cause so much consternation.

I don’t think that anything particularly negative has intentionally been directed your way. To my mind folk are just taking an opportunity to talk about language or rather the comprehension and imperfect use of language. I liked the points that Nickie has made above and it set me thinking.

The English language now has multiple forms as spoken in many countries, it’s a common language but the spelling and/or meaning of its words often varies dependant on place of use (place in this context meaning geographical location). It’s interesting to think, too, that but for the USA effectively adopting ‘English’ as its national language we’d likely all be using German or maybe French here instead.

Here in the U.K. we had and have various local/regional dialects which can modify the spoken language somewhat, at times the communication process gets tricky but with a little bit of good will all we seem to get by.

Last edited:
Here in the U.K. we had and have various local/regional dialects which can modify the spoken language somewhat, at times the communication process gets tricky but with a little bit of good will all we seem to get by.

That's why I like watching English TV - with closed captions, of course. :)

I don’t think that anything particularly negative has intentionally been directed your way. To my mind folk are just taking an opportunity to talk about language or rather the comprehension and imperfect use of language. I liked the points that Nickie has made above and it set me thinking.

The English language now has multiple forms as spoken in many countries, it’s a common language but the spelling and/or meaning of its words often varies dependant on place of use (place in this context meaning geographical location). It’s interesting to think, too, that but for the USA effectively adopting ‘English’ as its national language we’d likely all be using German or maybe French here instead.

English is a Germanic language.

It is the most widely spoken language in the world. (Not the most people, but spoken in the most countries. Mandarin has the most people.) It's the language of business, computers and aviation.

Here in the US the dialects between in some of the Southern States can be quite difficult to understand.

Some of the more remote communities in the Appalachians still have dialects very similar to olde Scots and English. Though few are truly isolated anymore.

Last edited:
I'm sure glad there are people like you around. Otherwise where would the second hand cars and ukes at 50% off that I buy, come from. I'm not making do I'm just cheap, no make that thrifty.

I'm sure glad there are people like you around. Otherwise where would the second hand cars and ukes at 50% off that I buy, come from. I'm not making do I'm just cheap, no make that thrifty.

No, frugal. Me too

I like to buy vintage stuff before it was made in China. That way I know it'll never be worth less than I paid.

So far, I'm about 50-50.

My last addition, Palmer LP style, wasn't marked as to country of origin. Guessing Chinese though.

Attachments

• 20191204_134606.jpg
    20191204_134606.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Top Bottom