FYI new Moore Bettah auction at HMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoyWoy

Reaction score
This is not my instrument but I know new Moore Bettah ukes always attract attention here. Bidding opened at US$9,000 on 7 June and is already up to $11,525 at this time, with 5 days to go. These decorated ones are undoubtedly brilliant craftsmanship and seem to attact eye-watering prices.
https://theukulelesite.com/auction-moore-bettah-2110-ulu-milo.html

Last edited:
Now already up to $13,000. This will be a fun one to watch.

Wow what a piece of art. Though it is not clear if the proceeds will go toward a foundation or organization associated with the valley. Usually they tell what this is for.

Wow what a piece of art. Though it is not clear if the proceeds will go toward a foundation or organization associated with the valley. Usually they tell what this is for.

not sure why you posted your comment what are your reasons? are you bidding on the uke? i can ask Andrew if you need the info...

Aloha

not sure why you posted your comment what are your reasons? are you bidding on the uke? i can ask Andrew if you need the info...

Aloha

I love the artistry of the uke. For the last few auctions that I looked at they were for good causes but I look at this on small phone and did not see the cause it was for that's why I was asking. Could of course just be for the cause of Chuck which is also a good one.

It's so beautiful.
The sound, as played by those brilliant players, is sublime.
$15000 (so far...) is an absurd amount of money to spend on a small, wooden musical instrument!

Ben

North of 16k now.

This is definitely a fun one to watch. I hope that whoever wins the auction will play it, and enjoy their very special (and very expensive) ukulele.

Just stunning those aren't those through the body bridges hard to string?
Such a beautiful uke!!

Just stunning those aren't those through the body bridges hard to string?
Such a beautiful uke!!

Not hard to restring at all. Just feed the string thru the hole and fish out thru the soundhole to tie the knot and pull it back to the bridge. I much prefer a through the body design over a tie block bridge.

Instead of a knot, I use a bead at the end of the string.

I do this because I play fluorocarbon strings and the A and High-g strings are very thin. Even with a stopper knot they will sometimes pull through the hole. Once, the knot on the A got stuck in the hole. I had to push it back inside the body with a needle. Never had a problem with a bead. Bonus! The bead makes it easier to fish out when I change the strings.

Instead of a knot, I use a bead at the end of the string.

I do this because I play fluorocarbon strings and the A and High-g strings are very thin. Even with a stopper knot they will sometimes pull through the hole. Once, the knot on the A got stuck in the hole. I had to push it back inside the body with a needle. Never had a problem with a bead. Bonus! The bead makes it easier to fish out when I change the strings.
String through bridges are my favorite. Chuck always uses beads when he sets up his ukes.

String through bridges are my favorite. Chuck always uses beads when he sets up his ukes.

String through bridges are my favorite, too. I use beads, and it's an easy process to change strings. I like the look, as well.

Not hard to restring at all. Just feed the string thru the hole and fish out thru the soundhole to tie the knot and pull it back to the bridge. I much prefer a through the body design over a tie block bridge.

OMG so do I. Tie bar bridges are the worst! You do have to take care that the strings don't slip through the holes during tuning up!

OMG so do I. Tie bar bridges are the worst! You do have to take care that the strings don't slip through the holes during tuning up!

My first two ukes and also a luthier built one have slotted bridges and I think that's the best way of doing it. Then I also got a Kamaka and I like the tie bar as it is so quick to attach a new string. I have guitars with pinned bridges and dislike the fiddling of sticking strings into holes and wrestling them out again. But it's good to have choices for sure. With this one I am certain I won't have to worry about it.

To be honest, I don't really care which kind of bridge the tenor has. Some are a little more fiddly than others, but none of them are difficult. With practice, all of them become second nature to change the string(s).

The type of bridge a uke has isn't a dealbreaker for me. I have tenors with each type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom