Bought a new uke

melodia_agrodolce

Reaction score
Hi, I just ordered a OU3 online. I've been able to watch a couple of video demonstrations on youtube for the OU2 and the OU5 but I haven't found anything about the OU3. This is the link to the Oscar Schmidt website http://www.oscarschmidt.com/products/ukes/ou3.asp
I'm just wondering if anyone has owned/played this uke before. I'm pretty stoked to get it. I've never played before I'm actually a alto sax and piano player and live in a apt building and thought that the ukulele would be a nice compact/quiet instrument that I can play without pissing off any of my neighbours. :)

Congrats on the ukulele purchase. I've not played any Oscar Schmidt ukes -- so I can't help you there. Just wanted to welcome you to UU. You've just come to a wonderful place. Be sure to ask for any help if you need it. Have fun learning how to play the ukulele. It's a riot!

hey, I haven't owned or played one but here's a link to a thread with other players. I couldn't see anything on an OU3 but it seems that one or two people own the OU2 and may be able to shed some light on the brand for you. Welcome to UU :D

I don't own any Oscar Schmidt ukuleles, but I've played an OU3 at a music store. From my limited experience, they're very well built, and just seemed like they would hold up. As far as sound goes, they didn't blow me away, but they were on par for their price range. A little on the quiet side.

Welcome aboard, melodia! :)

I've never played an Oscar, just recently got my first uke myself. A lot of people here seem to think you can't just stop with one. We shall see. :) But the Oscar sounds like it will be a great starter for you.

I've never played before I'm actually a alto sax and piano player and live in a apt building and thought that the ukulele would be a nice compact/quiet instrument that I can play without pissing off any of my neighbours. :)
I can totally relate. It's not just a matter of not "pissing off the neighbors", it's also a matter of having a sense of privacy when we practice. Few of us have the luxury of a totally soundproofed room where we can practice 24/7 without others hearing us.

My main squeeze is classical guitar. I can play it late at night without bothering anyone (even my husband when he's asleep in the next room).

Hope you enjoy your new uke! :)

Enjoy your new uke! If you like it and enjoy playing it, that's all that matters. Welcome to UU!

Hi, I just ordered a OU3 online. I've been able to watch a couple of video demonstrations on youtube for the OU2 and the OU5 but I haven't found anything about the OU3. This is the link to the Oscar Schmidt website http://www.oscarschmidt.com/products/ukes/ou3.asp
I'm just wondering if anyone has owned/played this uke before. I'm pretty stoked to get it. I've never played before I'm actually a alto sax and piano player and live in a apt building and thought that the ukulele would be a nice compact/quiet instrument that I can play without pissing off any of my neighbours. :)

Welcome to UU, Melodia! Congrats on the new uke. There's something about the ukulele that just makes people happy when they play one. Oh...and sometimes the neighbors need a little pissing off. ;)

A lot of people here seem to think you can't just stop with one. We shall see. :)

Come to the dark side...you know you want another one. :p

Well, I can't tell you about your OU3, but I have an OU13 and an OU5DL, and I have found them to be very well made great sounding instruments. You might want to change the original strings on it, unless it comes with an upgrade. Sometimes Oscar Schmidt stock string choices are iffy. On your OU3 concert I might recommend Aquila, Worth CM, or Ko'olau golds...any of these will make her sing!

Come to the dark side...you know you want another one. :p
I already have five guitars, four mandos, two flutes and a sax. I was talking about maybe getting a guitalele and my husband said, "Absolutely not! You've got enough damned instruments already." Not that that would have stopped me if I were really determined. :p

Barely a week later I won the uke and he thought my "winning" it was a ruse at first. :rolleyes:

I already have five guitars, four mandos, two flutes and a sax. I was talking about maybe getting a guitalele and my husband said, "Absolutely not! You've got enough damned instruments already." Not that that would have stopped me if I were really determined. :p

Barely a week later I won the uke and he thought my "winning" it was a ruse at first. :rolleyes:

Hahaha...that's exactly what my wife thought when I came home with a baby Taylor that a coworker gave me.

You have quite the collection...I've got 4 guitars and 2 ukes. Plus, you can add the 3 guitars that my kids have (and don't play) and a keyboard. My wife thinks I should "thin out the herd". But...I was at GC today checking out the Yamaha 1/2 size classical thinking about making it into a "guitalele" (just for fun).

With all the stringed instruments you have...you could probably sneak a new uke in there and the hubby would be none the wiser. ;)

What Tim Pike said. If you like it, that's all that matters. Enjoy!!! Welcome to the UU. :music:

An OU3 was my first uke. I was satisfied with it then I bought a Mainland concert and put the OU3 aside. Then I bought a WaverlyStreet "prim" style (#85) and put the Mainland aside. (OK, so I'm a butterfly-boy, flitting from flower to flower) The OU3 is a good starter uke. Mine was well made though it seemed to take forever for the strings to settle in and hold tune. It is a bit on the quiet side but some different strings would probably help that. Hope you enjoy yours, it probably won't be your last uke!

Top Bottom