“The Tree” Mahogany Custom Uke - in progress soon….

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just purchased a piece of “the tree” that will serve as either the back, or top of my uke that will eventually be built. Will be consulting with Gareth Yahiku on it, after he receives the piece of “the tree” in the mail. This looks to be an interesting journey, so I may update this periodically. I also will have to sell one of my Kamaka’s to fund this project…maybe my HF-2i slothead concert……

Attachments

• IMG_2764.jpeg
    IMG_2764.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 81
Such a nice piece of a special tree, I don't know about it's soundboard characteristics but it would be a shame to have it on the back and not see it!

This is amazing. Are you planning on a soprano? If you are you can probably get a front and back out of that piece. How cool would that look with some lighter contrasting hardwood sides. Curly Maple? Or an even darker wood. Rosewood or Ebony?
Please keep us posted!

It is the most famous of woods, so looking forward to this.

I have the impression that it is used on the sides and back, and not on the front.
Unfortunately this piece is only a veneer 3/16 thick, so it will only suffice as top or back only.

This is amazing. Are you planning on a soprano? If you are you can probably get a front and back out of that piece. How cool would that look with some lighter contrasting hardwood sides. Curly Maple? Or an even darker wood. Rosewood or Ebony?
Please keep us posted!
It should be just big enough for a tenor.

If it was mine, I would want the back and sides to match- so I would use "the Tree" for the top and a complementary (whatever that means) set of mahogany (or rosewood) for the back and sides-- I'd also ask Hank Johnson (Kimo) for his thoughts--
I have had that thought completely, with Koa being my main contender, if I were to use it as a top.

Nice looking mahogany!

Great idea to have your luthier recommend how to best use it.

I’ve had The Tree wood as top,back & sides and just back & sides with a redwood top. Preferred the redwood as top.

Amazing ukeclass, what are you planning on pairing with it re: top options? Iʻve been incredibly lucky to play three ukes made from "The Tree" -- one with a spruce top, one with sinker redwood, and another with Koa. Itʻs a spectacular sounding tonewood and Iʻm sure youʻre going to be psyched no matter what you end up choosing...please keep sharing so we can all live vicariously through your experience!

Amazing ukeclass, what are you planning on pairing with it re: top options? Iʻve been incredibly lucky to play three ukes made from "The Tree" -- one with a spruce top, one with sinker redwood, and another with Koa. Itʻs a spectacular sounding tonewood and Iʻm sure youʻre going to be psyched no matter what you end up choosing...please keep sharing so we can all live vicariously through your experience!
So far I’ve come up with these:

Top: tree
Sides: koa
Back: koa

OR

Top: redwood
Sides: ???
Back: tree

Unless your building just for looks and never plan to play the Uke, the Tree mag Ohana would be an awful choice for the top. It lacks the strength and stiffness that makes for a good resonant sound board.
Thanks for your input Chuck!

Let’s say I used it as a back. And let’s say I do a redwood top: what would you recommend for sides?

I’ve been thinking about what I’d do with this. I’m sure you have plenty of great playing ukuleles. And I’m pretty sure that whatever you choose will sound pretty darn good. So I think for me I’d want that amazing wood to be the center piece of your creation, which means it needs to be up front. Where it can be seen.
So then it’s a matter of what sides and back would help showcase this amazing piece of wood.
It’s a rich vibrant material that would be enhanced with a sides and back that complement the richness of it without taking the attention from this wood which is obviously what this ukulele will be all about.
So, again for me, I’d want something that brightens the wood with a darker contrast. I would do a rich dark Rosewood.
Whatever you choose will be amazing.

Top Bottom