2 Questions about Stew Mac Concert

kowgiirl.up

Reaction score
I see that the Concert Ukulele does not have a hole in the side like I see in some of the Concert pics here that folks post. I think I understand that the hole is for the players "ear" but is it necessary for a brand new, never played anything, newbie?

My other question is concerning the position markers on the fretboard. I think those are plastic and I would like, if at all possible, to replace them with something a little more upgraded. What would I be looking for size-wise to just swap them out from the get-go?

My hubby says I tend to overthink things (and he is right LOL) but I have to ask.

I've never understood why anyone should build an instrument and then cut a huge hole (aka sound port)in the side of it! Yes , the player may hear the sound clearer, but Imo it's totally unnecessary. Just a gimmick. Sorry, I know some will disagree.

You can certainly upgrade the dots, but you'll have to excavate the ones that come already installed on the fretboard. Likewise, if you have the skills, you can also put a side sound port on your StewMac kit. You can research the best ways to cut the hole and the best ways to reinforce it as well. There is plenty of advice in the Luthier's Lounge section of UU. Good luck. Building your own uke is very rewarding. I love mine.

I've never understood why anyone should build an instrument and then cut a huge hole (aka sound port)in the side of it! Yes , the player may hear the sound clearer, but Imo it's totally unnecessary. Just a gimmick. Sorry, I know some will disagree.
Lot's of ukes have a big hole in the front of them. It seems to work fine.
I see that the Concert Ukulele does not have a hole in the side like I see in some of the Concert pics here that folks post. I think I understand that the hole is for the players "ear" but is it necessary for a brand new, never played anything, newbie?

My other question is concerning the position markers on the fretboard. I think those are plastic and I would like, if at all possible, to replace them with something a little more upgraded. What would I be looking for size-wise to just swap them out from the get-go?

My hubby says I tend to overthink things (and he is right LOL) but I have to ask.
No side hole needed.
Only you can answer the upgrade question, after you drill out or gouge out the side markers. Are you planning on using MoP or gems or what?

Lot's of ukes have a big hole in the front of them. It seems to work fine.

No side hole needed.
Only you can answer the upgrade question, after you drill out or gouge out the side markers. Are you planning on using MoP or gems or what?
MoP I assume is Mother of Pearl which is what I would like to do if I can for the position dots (circle b/c I am not sure if I used the right word).
positiondots.JPG

A side sound port is an added feature, most often on custom builds and sometimes on nicer production ukuleles. It is not needed in any way and is not easy to make look great. It also may or may not have a noticeable effect on the sound for the player. So you can drop this feature from your obsession completely right now. Most ukuleles do not have this feature.

The point of the side port is to give more highs to the player's ears (and this is the important part) in a larger space or in a noisy environment. In a regular room without other people playing or an audience that absorbs the sound a sound port is not as useful as there are reflections off the walls to give the player feedback (not the annoying kind).

With certain exceptions, a player (side) port is an option on a custom built uke. Though I personally prefer a side port, it is not necessary.

I’ve been experimenting and using soundports for nearly 20 years. In my opinion a soundport brings a lot to the table and I wouldn’t consider an instrument without one. In an acoustic setting spectators tend to sit in front of the player. They get true volume and tone as it is directed at them. The player himself gets primarily “recycled” sound as it bounces back towards him. The soundport is even more useful for players that sing as it gives them a more accurate notion of volume and how to balance voice with the instrument’s volume. Ever played with other people where you felt that their instruments were louder and drowning the sound of yours causing you to player harder to compensate? Most of the other players felt the same way. In short the soundport gives the player a more accurate notion of volume from his instrument. There’s more but that is its primary function.

I did a thread on this years ago about replacing the fret markers step by step. Go here to see:

I did a thread on this years ago about replacing the fret markers step by step. Go here to see:

Super helpful! Thank you for posting the link.

I've been searching for the last few days trying to figure out the actual size of the "dot". My best guess is 6mm.

Super helpful! Thank you for posting the link.

I've been searching for the last few days trying to figure out the actual size of the "dot". My best guess is 6mm.
Seems I remember them as 5mm, but I'm too lazy to get up and measure them. I could be wrong. It has been awhile. Best to measure them yourself. Personally consider putting in abalone dots. Much cooler.

The dots are 5mm at least on the one I have so problem solved :)

Top Bottom