2023 NAMM April 13–15, 2023 , Please post ukulele news here

Could someone get us a description of this Kamaka Ukulele apparent switch to bolt-on necks, please? I can’t find anything definitive about this, although I trust the few accounts, I’ve seen, stating it to be so. Cheers 🍻

Could someone get us a description of this Kamaka Ukulele apparent switch to bolt-on necks, please? I can’t find anything definitive about this, although I trust the few accounts, I’ve seen, stating it to be so. Cheers 🍻
Kamaka says , and I'm quoting directly ...
"just improving our products" .
" The bolt-on neck is easier to adjust when mounting it to the body and it also gives a cleaner finish. "

Kamaka says , and I'm quoting directly ...
"just improving our products" .
" The bolt-on neck is easier to adjust when mounting it to the body and it also gives a cleaner finish. "
Does this have any impact on sound? Playability?
Just showing my lack of knowledge about these things, so excuse what might be a silly question.

Does this have any impact on sound? Playability?
My immediate thought is whether it increases the weight and affects the balance, but then again they know what they're doing 😁

My guess is that any added weight would be right at the body-neck joint, where a uke should balance anyway...so I'd think it might affect weight, but not balance...or if so minimally.

I’d rather see Martin switch to ebony fretboards and ditch the sipo. I guess the S1K is kinda cool (took them long enough) but the crazy expensive stuff doesn’t interest me much. In fact I’ve lost a lot of interest in Martin ukes these past couple years. Most of the decisions they’ve been making lately are bizarre to me.

The S1K looks pretty sweet. But (slap me if you must) will Martin ever offer 1:4 tuners (UPTs) as a factory option?
/ducking to the right with my hands over my head

Last edited:
By "…crafted from durable Hawaiian koa HPL.…" I presume the Life is Good model has a picture of koa on the back and sides. Not for sale in the UK and Europe anyway, so I doubt I'll get to look at one in person.

That Martin 0 soprano looks like the first Martin uke in years that I would actually consider buying. Sinker mahogany and rosewood fretboard, what's not to like? The S1K is a decent addition to the line up as well. I'm assuming the former is made in the US whereas the latter is made in the Mexico factory, hence the price difference.

Top Bottom