2023 NAMM April 13–15, 2023 , Please post ukulele news here

Okay boys and girls - as noted above, my new S1K arrived today.

I have played the S1K for about an hour so far, and just sat down to play it back-to-back with my 2021 S1 . . . so, here are some brief initial thoughts.

First off, the S1K arrived perfectly set-up, straight out of the box. The action and intonation were excellent and the strings did not take forever to stretch and hold tune reasonably well.

The very first thing that I did (naturally) was to tune the instrument and I must say that the new 'high-ratio' tuners immediately struck me like a clap of thunder. Sooooo smooth! In my mind they are a definite upgrade from a set of Waverly's.

From what I understand, the traditional thought is that koa ukes usually have a brighter tone and would be slightly louder in volume. While both instruments do have similar tone and volume - in my case, I hear the tone of the S1K as 'thinner' as opposed to 'brighter', and the extra 'bottom-end' of the S1 makes for a slightly louder instrument as well. I suppose it should be noted that since I have only played the S1K for about an hour, it is possible that the 'thinner' sound may be at least partially due to the fact that the strings are still new - but that remains to be seen in the coming days.

Overall, my S1K is an enjoyable uke, but for a price of $100 less - I would opt for the S1 as my choice between the two.

Okay boys and girls - as noted above, my new S1K arrived today.

I have played the S1K for about an hour so far, and just sat down to play it back-to-back with my 2021 S1 . . . so, here are some brief initial thoughts.

First off, the S1K arrived perfectly set-up, straight out of the box. The action and intonation were excellent and the strings did not take forever to stretch and hold tune reasonably well.

The very first thing that I did (naturally) was to tune the instrument and I must say that the new 'high-ratio' tuners immediately struck me like a clap of thunder. Sooooo smooth! In my mind they are a definite upgrade from a set of Waverly's.

From what I understand, the traditional thought is that koa ukes usually have a brighter tone and would be slightly louder in volume. While both instruments do have similar tone and volume - in my case, I hear the tone of the S1K as 'thinner' as opposed to 'brighter', and the extra 'bottom-end' of the S1 makes for a slightly louder instrument as well. I suppose it should be noted that since I have only played the S1K for about an hour, it is possible that the 'thinner' sound may be at least partially due to the fact that the strings are still new - but that remains to be seen in the coming days.

Overall, my S1K is an enjoyable uke, but for a price of $100 less - I would opt for the S1 as my choice between the two.
Thank you for this .
If you can a follow-up in a week or a month would be helpful .

As a follow-up to posts #61 and 62 above . . . .

I have been playing my S1K quite a bit for the past 6 days - and as anticipated, it seems that once I played out the the 'newness' of the strings, the tone of the S1K has settled in quite nicely. When played back-to-back with my S1, the S1K still has a slightly brighter/thinner sound and less volume than the S1, but it is MUCH, MUCH less noticeable than it was at the beginning of the week.

Dollar for dollar I personally still prefer the S1, but I can also freely recommend the S1K to anyone who wants to give it a try. The S1K is now the uke that I pretty much take with me, just about everywhere that I go.

06161733_648c1e4fcbc34.jpg_960_960.jpg

06161733_648c1e69b5188.jpg_960_960.jpg

gosh, that's a beautiful instrument. What I've seen from photos of the S1K is the quality of the wood really seems to vary quite a lot.

Man that was fast. Read this thread, saw these photos, and I had to order one for myself. The shop sent me photos.

Attachments

• IMG_4051.jpg
    IMG_4051.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4052.jpg
    IMG_4052.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 18
Namm show puzzles from few years ago
2 Pono nui Bn30-d large baritones from the same year. The left one is from the show...one on right built mid-year...ignore the pick guard

Attachments

• DSC_0297.JPG
    DSC_0297.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Bn-30d 1.JPG
    Bn-30d 1.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom