25th Season of the Ukulele - the real version

Tootler, we had a model train for a while when our son was quite young. It was N scale and the setup was on a door blank placed over sawhorses. We all had fun fooling with it, though there's always something else to buy for it. Father and son had engineers' caps. We went on vacation to Strasbourg, PA, where we visited the Pennsylvania Train Museum, rode the Strasbourg Railway, and stayed in the Red Caboose Motel, where you could sleep in your own caboose (which had the TV set in the pot-bellied stove). The restaurant was in an old dining car, and at intervals it would vibrate as if a big train were pulling in next to it.

That sounds real cool. We had a holiday in Pennsylvania planned a few years ago. My wife's a quilter and it was timed for one of the big quilt shows and also included visits to the Amish Community. I had sussed out the Strasbourg Museum as somewhere for me to visit. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with bowel cancer and although that was sorted by surgery, it sent the cost of travel insurance through the roof so we had to cancel. Pity, I was quite looking forward to that trip but with my wife since having had a kidney transplant and me a mild heart attack, we have abandoned ideas of a holiday in the USA and have stuck to Europe as health insurance is less of a problem.

Didn't mean to get the whole week in an uproar- just thought it was an amusing choice of tune and band. I apologize for tipping your apple cart Geoff.
On another note- Season 24 winners are posted, knives have been thrown.
Yeah, that and I have had toy trains all my life- love 'em
Cheers-

Didn't mean to get the whole week in an uproar- just thought it was an amusing choice of tune and band. I apologize for tipping your apple cart Geoff.
On another note- Season 24 winners are posted, knives have been thrown.
Yeah, that and I have had toy trains all my life- love 'em
Cheers-

I'm sure you didn't mean to stir up trouble. Unfortunately you have to tread carefully in some areas. Apology accepted.

Our little entry

I tried my best to hit the higher notes but didn't realize how bad it was until I actually uploaded he video haha so please bear with me. We love Jack johnson but doing his songs justice is a little harder than we thought =/. Anyways, this is our little entry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfBOdufsuv0

I tried my best to hit the higher notes but didn't realize how bad it was until I actually uploaded he video haha so please bear with me. We love Jack johnson but doing his songs justice is a little harder than we thought =/. Anyways, this is our little entry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfBOdufsuv0

Nicely done. Liked the accompaniment, you two complemented each other really well.

Contest closed & List of entries

Thanks to everyone who entered and/or submitted bonus tracks.

We have 31 entries and 19 bonus tracks and there were some great songs, both familiar an unfamiliar.

I've been through all the entries and I now think I have picked up all the entries. I am less sure about the bonus tracks as I didn't check those quite so carefully. All the entries in the thread have a corresponding track in the playlist now. You can check the playlists.

Entries Playlist

Bonus Playlist

Here is a list of all the entries by UU userid. The number after each name is the number of the video in the playlist. They are not all in the order the entries appear in the thread as I missed some on a first look through. You will need these for judging. I will post the judging rules in a following post hopefully to keep things clear

Strumsilly 2
Ukeval 3
Dougf 4
ukuleledaveey 5
wolfchs 6
uke4ia 7
wee_ginga_yin 8
theou 9
29moons 10
decaturcomp 11
myrnaukulele 12
Captain_Lovehandles 13
UKISOCIETY 14
ksiegel 16
luschen 15
thesillydave 17
nongdam 18
ukuleledaddy 19
J-Peg 20
GT3T11 21
TheOnlyUkeThatMatters 22
chrimess 23
mattydee 24
OldePhart +3 25
ukuloonie +3 26
UncleElvis 27
v30 28
cindarellalifestyle +3 29
uytaelee 30
philpot 31
peewee 32

Once again, please check I haven't missed anyone. If I have, PM me and I will add your name to the list.

Last edited:
Judging

Judging is simple. If you have entered you can take part in the judging.

Please PM me with your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice videos. I will give 6 points for each 1st choice, 3 points for each 2nd and 1 point for each 3rd choice. The winners will be the three who achieve the highest three scores. Identify the videos by UU userid.

Well not quite. As it's theoretically possible to win without having a first choice from anyone, I will insist that the overall winner must have been a first choice for at least one judge.

Can you please get your choices in by midnight, Hawaii time this coming Friday (17th August).

Great work, everyone!! More individual comments for y'all...

@nongdam --- Sweet song. A little tough to pay attention to your performance with such a charismatic co-star. Fun one! (U2) Nice, dynamic strumming here. Groovy instrumental breaks, too.

@prunelle --- Ah, you can hear the birds chirping here. Easy to see how they'd want to sing along with you both. A sweet song, sweetly sung. Merci.

@strumsilly --- (Hobo's Meditation) Great performance here. Your singing and playing are a perfect match for this mournful melody. Lovely. Gracias.

@ukuleledaddy --- Fun one! Nice to hear a happy train song. (They're a little more rare than the sad ones.) And you've played it with joy---nice! Way to get your little engineers in on the fun, too.

@peewee --- (Drug Train) Smart whistle placement! Depraved indeed. In a good way. Muchas gracias.

@J-Peg --- Great pick! Love the sparse rhythm. Great singing. Sweet. Gracias.

@GT3T11 --- Nice! Sounding great. Nice, natural swing in your strumming. Groovy. And you'll get that F# minor down before you know it.

@Tootler --- So glad you participated in the performances as well this week. Thanks for sharing this lovely song, your lovely performance, and your very cool model train photos. And thanks again for a fantastic Season!

@v30 --- Nice take on a genuine classic. Woot wooot.

@ukisociety --- (Hank Snow) Canadian uke. Canadian song. Canadian attitude. You've got it all here, you hoser, eh?

@wee_ginga_yin --- (Get On Board Little Children) Cool. Nice bass and percussion here. (Inspiring me to break out the overdubs for a bonus track sometime soon, perhaps.) Sweet uke and singing, as well. Gracias.

@ksiegel --- (Midnight Special) Ah, this another song I was excited to hear this week. Wonderful picking through the melody here. Nice choices for the harmony, too. Fun version. Gracias.

@chrimess --- The smile on my face when you sing "Ay ay ay" is very big. And the inner Ozzy has been released. We have been waiting for the inner Ozzy. Very big smile here. Gracias.

@mattydee --- Ah, great "wooohooooo"s. Great. Wow. Gracias.

@OldePhart --- Sweet song, John. Wistful just like that lonesome whistle. Very nice. Gracias.

@Dougf --- (Blues in the Night) Soft and sweet blues here. Very nice. Gracias.

@ukuloonie --- You've written a wonderful ballad, Drew, bringing terrific imagery and a well of emotion to a great story. Thanks for sharing with us! Thanks for a look at Heritage Park, too. Cool.

@UncleElvis --- Yes, more videos from your job, please. Great, spirited version of the man in black's classic. Woohoo!

@thesillydave --- Always having fun and always sharing great songs---that makes you a pro Seasonista in my book, Dave. Muchas gracias.

@cinderellalifestyle --- Sweet song. Lots of railroad history to ponder here. Love your sparse, rhythmic uke playing, too. Gracias.

@uytaelee --- Ah, a little Harmony victory ukulele. Cool. Sweet playing and singing from you both, as well. Nice!

@ukuloonie --- You've written a wonderful ballad, Drew, bringing terrific imagery and a well of emotion to a great story. Thanks for sharing with us! Thanks for a look at Heritage Park, too. Cool.

Thanks Ralf,
I really appreciate what you said.
I hope to write some more in the future cause it was kinda fun as I likes a bit o poetry.
Good luck everybody for this season as it was fun, hope to see you all in the next week
Drew.

@Tootler --- So glad you participated in the performances as well this week. Thanks for sharing this lovely song, your lovely performance, and your very cool model train photos. And thanks again for a fantastic Season!

Thanks Ralf. Glad you enjoyed the song.

The main thing is that everyone enjoys participating. That's what these seasons are about, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, the votes are coming in. I have a spreadsheet ready to put the scores in.

To save a little time, I will post a general thanks here as I get a batch in.

Nine so far so thanks to
Ukeval
wee_ginga-yin
TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
Strumsilly
GT3T11
uke4ia
J-Peg
wolfchs
Dougf

Also many thanks for the kind words most of you have added to your votes.

Just one thing extra, I should have added this to the original conditions but I think it should go without saying. Please, no voting for yourself.

A great choice of theme---thanks, Tootler---has inspired all sorts of great work this Season. Here's one from the basement...

I really enjoy your playing and singing, it's a real pleasure !

So I spent the morning on your YT channel watching your previous entries. Great stuff !!

Just one thing extra, I should have added this to the original conditions but I think it should go without saying. Please, no voting for yourself.

Heh, heh. Or...you could let people vote for themselves but subtract the points from a vote for one's own video instead of adding them... <evil grin>

JOhn

The main thing is that everyone enjoys participating. That's what these seasons are about, as far as I'm concerned.

:agree: The Seasons remind me of a long, friendly campfire at which everyone's got a uke, and everyone's got a song to share. Kind of amazing how much music we've shared over these last six months. Viva Seasonistas!!

I really enjoy your playing and singing, it's a real pleasure !

So I spent the morning on your YT channel watching your previous entries. Great stuff !!
Thank you very much. Looking forward to hearing lots more music from y'all!

Last edited:
hey folks - I've been able to catch up with several of the great entries from this week - some really spectacular stuff, and I can't wait to see the rest. The last several weeks have been a real madhouse, but my schedule should be evening out and I can get back to following the Seasons and getting some recording time in..... here's a better late than never bonus track, Geoff.....

hey folks - I've been able to catch up with several of the great entries from this week - some really spectacular stuff, and I can't wait to see the rest. The last several weeks have been a real madhouse, but my schedule should be evening out and I can get back to following the Seasons and getting some recording time in..... here's a better late than never bonus track, Geoff.....

Hey Bill - just last night I was wondering what happened to you. Was starting to get worried! I can relate to the schedule thing, though. Through the end of September I'm pretty well buried.

John

hey folks - I've been able to catch up with several of the great entries from this week - some really spectacular stuff, and I can't wait to see the rest. The last several weeks have been a real madhouse, but my schedule should be evening out and I can get back to following the Seasons and getting some recording time in..... here's a better late than never bonus track,

I was wondering what had happened to you, Bill. I can understand your problem. I thought the theme might appeal to you and you didn't disappoint even if it was a late bonus. That was a great song even Oh the crappy speaker of my tablet and I loved the train movies Oh your video.

Top Bottom