5-string Uke (like a banjo)

zac987

Reaction score
While playing around with clawhammer on my uke, I noticed that the lack of a lower string made it a bit harder to find the notes I'm used to playing on my banjo.

So I thought: "Plenty of people play clawhammer on the uke. Has anyone ventured to make a uke with 5 separate strings like a banjo?"

I'm very interested in this idea. Sorry, traditionalists. Lol.

There is the Rajao, which is tuned DGCEA.

You mean like this one. I want one, too!

ukulele.jpg

No problem. You can do a conversion if you can get the neck off cleanly and have a new neck made with the 5 string banjo arrangement. You also have to use the same playing scale as the original uke because the bridge position is fixed.

No problem. You can do a conversion if you can get the neck off cleanly and have a new neck made with the 5 string banjo arrangement. You also have to use the same playing scale as the original uke because the bridge position is fixed.

True. It'd probably be easier and more worthwhile to just have a new instrument made.

Have you ever made something like the Santo uke posted earlier?

How do you call this instrument since 'banjo-ukulele' and '5-strings ukulele' are already taken?

The CR five string at Sylvan has a two string lower course, so it plays like a standard tenor. We have considered doing a 5 string banjo-like uke but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Gold Tone makes two small 5-string travel banjos, and you can tune them like a uke. Should work fine with non-metal strings.

The models are CC-mini (Cripple Creek Mini) and Plucky.

-Kurt​

Gold Tone makes two small 5-string travel banjos, and you can tune them like a uke. Should work fine with non-metal strings.

The models are CC-mini (Cripple Creek Mini) and Plucky.

-Kurt​

I've seen those. The idea here is to have a full ukulele sound while playing clawhammer.

True. It'd probably be easier and more worthwhile to just have a new instrument made.

Have you ever made something like the Santo uke posted earlier?

I have built a couple of Santo style ukes in the past and they were soprano scale. I play claw hammer style banjo myself and have considered making a 5 string uke (banjo style neck) in a concert scale. Since there does seem to be interest, I'll give it a shot in a week or so and post the results on the marketplace once it is completed. It should be a fun project.

Gold Tone makes a cross between a concert and a tenor called the PLUCKY. It has the legitimate 5th string. It was CgCEA or CgCEG or my fav- C fCFA. Check out Travel Banjo for one you can play in a car and still leave the windows rolled up.

I have built a couple of Santo style ukes in the past and they were soprano scale. I play claw hammer style banjo myself and have considered making a 5 string uke (banjo style neck) in a concert scale. Since there does seem to be interest, I'll give it a shot in a week or so and post the results on the marketplace once it is completed. It should be a fun project.

Very cool! I'll be looking forward to the results!

Top Bottom