8 string tenor

William Brooks

Reaction score
Hi i am a new member and play a 4 string tenor but a friend has asked me if i could fit some broken strings to an 8 string tenor the high G and high C they are not on the ukulele at the moment and some of the other strings don't look correct , she also gave me a bag with new strings in but none are in there sleeves ....i have a micrometer so i can check the sizes so if anyone knows the gauge of all the strings i can check them much appreciated .....Will

From a D'Addarrio package I have here, starting with strings 1/2 on the bottom
- String Gauges: Nyltech .024, .024, .030, .030, .036, .018, .028, .024
Thank you so much i have a bit of a chance no to sort it out, looking at what is left in at the moment i think someone has got the low and high G and C mixed up.......i take it it starts high G low G, high C low C

Thank you so much i have a bit of a chance no to sort it out, looking at what is left in at the moment i think someone has got the low and high G and C mixed up.......i take it it starts high G low G, high C low C
That's what the string sequence on the package has. Although I've seen it both ways I believe the high string should be above the low. To my logic it's so when you are strumming down the larger string doesn't block the smaller. That's how I string my 8-string

That's what the string sequence on the package has. Although I've seen it both ways I believe the high string should be above the low. To my logic it's so when you are strumming down the larger string doesn't block the smaller. That's how I string my 8-string
Yes, I've tried both. Though having the low string closer to your head seems to be right for finger picking, the "normal" arrangement is to have the higher octave closer to the thumb when on the down stroke. I can confirm that is more comfortable and playable.

I like switching, too... put the high strings together between the lows. that way you can "pinch" the strings from the outsides and get both lows or slip a couple of fingers in between and just hit the highs. Cool sound for finger picking! I have a Bruce Wei that I bought used and it just came this way. And I've come to like it.

(if you are keeping score at home: unison A and E pairs, then eE/Gg)

The best thing about an 8 is that you can keep playing even if you break a string!

Y'all are right, I thought it was the other way around, but upon checking my MP tenor 8-String, it is high/Low: g G; c C; E E; A A.
I have Living Waters Plain Fluorocarbons on it. Here are the Dims listed on the package:
1 & 2 (A) = 0.57mm
3 & 4 (E) = 0.66mm
5 (Low C) = 0.74mm
6 (High c) = 0.52mm
7 (Low G) = 0.91mm
8 (High g) = 0.62mm

Wound Low-G & Low-C diameters will be different.

Top Bottom