A chess site are going to do an article about me.

Voran

Reaction score
I'm not giving a whole lot of details because I like to go by 'Voran' rather than my real name...but I'm so proud of myself.

Reason: I happened to mention to one of their staff that I gained 300 rating points in bullet chess in the last month after taking their tactics class and they want me for the 'success story' section of their company website.

Yall. I'm so stoked. Doesn't seem real.

I'm proud of that 300 point spike but also...it's exhilarating to be valued purely for my mind and not something to do with sexuality or nurturing. I get that I'm being a bit sensitive here but...I'll never forget the time a female rocket scientist passed away and all anyone mentioned in her obituary was motherhood and cooking. It's nice to be valued for playing bullet. Not for smiling or soothing egos or bringing cookies to work...just for those annihilations and dirty flags.

Think I'll celebrate with some hot chocolate yall. I can't wait for my interview.

I was a bit upset earlier because I lost 30 points in bullet and the whole point of the article was that nice round number...

I played ultra though which is pure speed and aggression with very little positional stuff going on and I got up to 1300...That's 420 whole points in one month.

I feel better now woohoo

My Mrs is a clever woman, she ain’t perfect but I’m fortunate to have her. She’s faced a lot of negative bias in her professional life and has always said that she doesn’t have to be as good as her male colleagues, she has to be better than them. But that’s her generation and what we now see in our children‘s generation is very mixed. Mixed in that women sometimes are held back for being a woman and sometimes pushed forward for being a woman. It’s daft, value people for what they do achieve.

Good luck to Voran, I’m pleased for her and hope she continues to find happiness in chess. But like all else that humans are involved in it’ll have its own minefields and other hazards too, that’s life.

congratulations!!! I hope they include a scratch and sniff.

My Mrs is a clever woman, she ain’t perfect but I’m fortunate to have her. She’s faced a lot of negative bias in her professional life and has always said that she doesn’t have to be as good as her male colleagues, she has to be better than them. But that’s her generation and what we now see in our children‘s generation is very mixed. Mixed in that women sometimes are held back for being a woman and sometimes pushed forward for being a woman. It’s daft, value people for what they do achieve.

Good luck to Voran, I’m pleased for her and hope she continues to find happiness in chess. But like all else that humans are involved in it’ll have its own minefields and other hazards too, that’s life.
Thanks for kind words! ^_^

I know about the hazards haha. I sometimes stupidly play when tired and just...no. You can't. There is a little margin of error in blitz...there is a tiny one in bullet...there is none whatsoever in ultra.

You’re welcome. I read your earlier response (before the edit) and can only conclude that some folk, mostly men in that group, have enormous egos that can only be supported by belittling others.

Personally, though the boundary lines are not always clear, I’ve no time for misogynistic behaviours and regard them as the opposite of manly.

You’re welcome. I read your earlier response (before the edit) and can only conclude that some folk, mostly men in that group, have enormous egos that can only be supported by belittling others.

Personally, though the boundary lines are not always clear, I’ve no time for misogynistic behaviours and regard them as the opposite of manly.
Yeah I deleted it because there's no need to bother people by telling them negative stuff.

I appreciate your perspective. ^_^

I think you’re amazing, Voran. One in a million. Tell the interviewers that if they bring in the “attractive/female/caregiver” angle you will poop all over them.
I used to do stuff like this when I taught ESL haha.

Every so often I taught a certain breed of man who had absolutely no humility and would go off task and lecture me about not having kids or a husband...I don't know how they could tell those things visually...possibly it was the thick black mohawk and the nose and lip ring.

I had no patience to be professional about it and used to just use dark humor to shut them up. I remember making a comment about children tasting nice in soup.

I lost that job after I got mad at work and told a student to put live eels up his rear.

He was a 40something grown ass adult who just wouldn't try. It came out that he was a surgeon and that was what ignited me. He had the intelligence to be a surgeon but wouldn't try saying some three word sentences.

Not that female students were angels either. I yelled at one for twerking during what was supposed to be English conversation practise...

Don't tempt me. I am a giant child at the best of times. Everything is a poop joke. If I were an astronaut my first words on another planet would probably have been a poop joke.
I've been telling all my friends for years that I'd like to start a "Poop Talk Radio" show/station. I also love chess, but have never been that good at it. I play myself at home. First move is always black.
Don't tempt me. I am a giant child at the best of times. Everything is a poop joke. If I were an astronaut my first words on another planet would probably have been a poop joke.

I've been telling all my friends for years that I'd like to start a "Poop Talk Radio" show/station. I also love chess, but have never been that good at it. I play myself at home. First move is always black.
OMG can I feature on that radio station? :D

Think I'll hike tomorrow otherwise I'll annoy everyone around me by being overexcited and talking non stop about it. So looking forward.

Unsure what we'll be discussing in the interview but probably blunders, annihilation and positional chess ie the 'infrastructural' stuff such as not leaving your pawns lying around where they make for poor structure your opponent can easily attack.

So overexcited help I am peeing my pants

Top Bottom