A good song for Season 559

Since we are limited to three entries each this season, I won't be doing this one, but it's a great one from The Elvin Bishop group and I wish someone would do it:
I Fooled Around And Fell In Love

I agree, Jim. If I weren't already working on George Strait's "Fool Hearted Memory" for 559, I'd jump on this. I agree that it's a great one. Nothing to do with fools or with SOTU 559, but on my way to work this morning, I listened to Herb Ohta Jr's fine instrumental of "Something [in the way she moves]" and Tony Rice's great cover of "House of The Rising Sun".

Since we are limited to three entries each this season, I won't be doing this one, but it's a great one from The Elvin Bishop group and I wish someone would do it:

This was the second song that crossed my mind, though I dare not take it on.

Be aware that it is somewhat frowned upon to announce songs if you are not doing the song.

Most people like to present their songs as their own clever idea. For some, half the pleasure is disclosing the clever idea they had for a song. When someone makes a post like this, it discourages other people from doing the song, because it will look like it was not their own idea to cover it. Just like people prefer not to do songs that have allready been covered.

I can see the urge to make exceptions and request a song if it has not been posted yet by Saturday, but it is only Tuesday.

I've always liked that song and still do. It was a real definitive song/sound for it's time and was part of the soundtrack to an important time in my life which brings me back whenever I hear it. It's also a good example (at least for me) of a song where I've listened to it and enjoyed it for years without really paying much attention to the lyrics. When you really listen to the lyrics and think about it, the person singing the song is a real d**k and a self-centered a**h**e! He's an unremorseful player who gets into it with another notch, I mean girl, with the same selfish intent then happens to fall in "love"? I can't help but wonder how long this "love" will last before something greener shows up? A month or two instead of a day or week and then singing about it like he's done something virtuous? My advice to the girl would be to run fast and far! Anyway, I've probably thought too hard about this song, carry on! 😄

Last edited:
I've always liked that song and still do. It was a real definitive song/sound for it's time and was part of the soundtrack to an important time in my life which brings me back whenever I hear it. It's also a good example (at least for me) of a song where I've listened to it and enjoyed it for years without really paying much attention to the lyrics. When you really listen to the lyrics and think about it, the person singing the song is a real d**k and a self-centered a**h**e! He's an unremorseful player who gets into it with another notch, I mean girl, with the same selfish intent then happens to fall in "love"? I can't help but wonder how long this "love" will last before something greener shows up? A month or two instead of a day or week and then singing about it like he's done something virtuous? My advice to the girl would be to run fast and far! Anyway, I've probably thought too hard about this song, carry on! 😄
The lyrics and meaning totally escaped me even though I heard "I love them and I leave them alone". Not a nice guy. Interesting. The part I recall being surprised by was the song was sung by Mickey Thomas, a guy in his band who later sang with Jefferson Starship, and not Elvin Bishop.

The part I recall being surprised by was the song was sung by Mickey Thomas, a guy in his band who later sang with Jefferson Starship, and not Elvin Bishop.
I didn't know that! Now that you say it I hear it.

Another song from that era, "Jackie Blue" by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils really surprised me when I found out that it was sung by a man. I always thought the vocals were by a woman.

Lets play a game:

How many here thought of "Cant help falling in love" within 1 second of hearing the theme?

Probably quite a few people. Once I jokingly made a post in the seasons, stating that I was courios if an equally obvious song choice would become the weeks theme song. That was a week about time, and the song was "As time goes by", but you get my drift. Most people will instantly think of the song.
I got a disgruntled PM from someone who felt like I ruined the idea by spoiling it. And I thought it was too obvious to spoil 🤔

If you keep posting songs in this thread, I assume that it is because you dont want anybody to record them.

Sorry I started this thread. I was hoping that someone would do the song, not trying to discourage it, but. . .
I didn't post it on the actual Season 559 thread, because I think only songs that we have done ourselves for the thread should appear there (and also, this version has no ukulele content).

Sorry I started this thread. I was hoping that someone would do the song, not trying to discourage it, but. . .
I didn't post it on the actual Season 559 thread, because I think only songs that we have done ourselves for the thread should appear there (and also, this version has no ukulele content).
I see absolutely nothing wrong in what you did, Jim! :)

I aknowledge your good intentions Jim!
I was just a bit shocked when, AFTER I had pointed out that posts like this have the opposite effect than intended, Arvin went and posted another song. And the thread was only 6 posts long, it is not like my post was on a different page or something that would cause TLDR mode.

I would love it if someone covered the song I posted. It's on my list of songs to cover, but I'm not getting around to it in time for this season. I've been away from my uke and am super rusty from being on vacation.

Liz Brinker did a great cover of this not so long ago Jim. I can’t recall whose Season it was, and so I’m not sure where the vid is now, but well worth searching out 👍

I see absolutely nothing wrong in what you did, Jim! :)
I have to agree. I’ve seen a few seasons where someone has said something along the lines of “such and such a song would be great for this season but I don’t have the time or confidence in my own abilities to do it, so if someone else would oblige…..”, I’ve never once thought of it as a negative thing. I think the Seasons is a broad enough church to cope, every now and then, with someone gently suggesting songs for others to do. Most songs in Seasons are the choice of the individual, but occasionally the “suggested song” gets posted. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Oh, and as a final point, if someone has so little going on in their life that they feel the need to PM me about what they perceive to be an infringement of the “rules” of a particular Season, that’s their problem, not mine and I will pay zero attention to it 😂

Liz Brinker did a great cover of this not so long ago Jim. I can’t recall whose Season it was, and so I’m not sure where the vid is now, but well worth searching out 👍
Ah, I recall that now and I really miss Liz's contributions. What a talent. Her version is probably where I first heard the song, since I think of Elvin Bishop as being Paul Butterfield's guitar player and have no recordings of Elvin as a leader.

Ah, I recall that now and I really miss Liz's contributions. What a talent. Her version is probably where I first heard the song, since I think of Elvin Bishop as being Paul Butterfield's guitar player and have no recordings of Elvin as a leader.
. . . or the late, great Charlie Daniels's description, ". . . sittin' on a bale o' hay, he ain't good lookin' but he show can play."

Has Liz not been around much lately? I haven't been doing enough seasons these days to have noticed. If so, she would def be sorely missed (though I get that life gets in the way sometimes). Anyway, I hope that she's ok!

Haven't heard this song in ages. Thanks, I needed that.

Top Bottom