A New Poll!! Did you play/practice a string instrument for at least a year before starting ukulele?

Did you play/practice a string instrument for at least a year before starting ukulele?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is anyone else surprised by the poll, one way or another? I had prior experience, so that colored my expectation. I thought there’d be way more with experience than the poll shows.

Anyone fee the opposite?
It didn't surprise me. Most of the players I know are adults picking up an instrument for the first time.

Most of my serious music experience is in the past 10 years, though I played enough as a kid and on-and-off attempts through the years I'd get a technical "yes" on this poll anyway.

Or maybe not a technicality? I remembered enough theory and concepts that it was a bug boost when I picked up guitar again (before uke) as an adult. I didn't struggle with what notes or chords or rhythms were, since I already had those down even if my fingers didn't remember the shapes. My uncle started uke as a true newbie, and he's had a hard time with those.

Played guitar for a few decades before picking up a uke a couple years ago. Gave all of my guitars to family members within a few months of getting my first ukulele. Now, the ukulele is the only stringed instrument I play regularly. I'm excited to be getting another Uke this week. It's a Journey instruments concert travel uke with a unique case. Two, in fact. One is for my daughter. Hope it's good. Couldn't find a Baz review.

Is anyone else surprised by the poll, one way or another? I had prior experience, so that colored my expectation. I thought there’d be way more with experience than the poll shows.

Anyone fee the opposite?
I think that I'm pretty impressed with how close to even we are on this poll! I do know that I expected it to swing harder one way or the other, but I didn't know which that would be. I am biased, because I have stringed instrument background, but I know that there are a lot of people who start with no music background whatsoever with ukulele as their first instrument.

I started on with piano lessons and trumpet in band while a child. Dropped both in college for harmonica, then played guitar, mandolin and banjo. I got a ukulele for my eldest when she was seven, and picked up enough to get her started. As my arthritis has gotten worse, I've moved more and more to the less-painful ukulele for my stringed instrument fix. I'm pleased that my eldest still plays her ukulele some fifteen years later.

I grew up playing classical violin and found it boring/too competitive. Tried out Ukulele after my son was born to try and sing away the Baby Blues (very therapeutic!) and found that a lot of my violin training translated well to this other 4 stringed instrument. I probably had a 15 year gap not playing any instruments between violin and picking up the Uke. Love my Ukes, they are just so fun and the Uke community is wonderful!

Never touched a guitar or piano or any other stringed instrument. I just saw a video of an employee of a music store. She was one of those mousy, smouldering, sexy librarian and I was like "dang! she's hot" and then I committed to buying a Cordoba uke...the same as what she was playing. And then I just proceeded and progressed on my own regardless of my sexist and objectivist origins.
And did you ask her out?

I failed miserably at the fiddle. I had two setback injuries that really don't affect me playing ukulele. I still wish I played fiddle in a Bluegrass band, and will take that regret to my grave.
But, the ukulele has just about saved my sanity. Playing in an all girl ukulele band is an absolute hoot!

Started playing guitar when I was 11, stopped playing guitar the day I got my uke.

Started playing guitar when I was 11, stopped playing guitar the day I got my uke.

Intersting.

I started with guitar but quit because it was too hard. After playing the ukulele for a year, I restarted guitar and found it much easier. Now I play both instruments. They fit differently into the music that I play.

My response is none.

Until a few years ago had absolutely no experience with instruments or singing.

I wanted to participate in local singalongs, at music festivals, and RV campsites.

In the first year:
. began novice guitar lessons,
. added novice singing lessons,
. joined the folk song society
. In the third semester joined a tolerant choir,
. in the third semester joined a monthly bluegrass slow jam,
. took a six week intro bluegrass course that taught applied guitar techniques, basic music theory, and jamming etiquette
. joined a weekly ukulele group (30 songs in 2 hour sessions) where I played baritone ukulele using guitar techniques
. which was all a very nice beginner’s music foundation.

PS: Started with genres that welcome novice players to practice with them. I like some but not all the repertoire played at bluegrass, ukulele, and choir groups. Have made custom songbooks for the sessions we play at the park.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I played the trombone, but I was only so good, and most importantly it wasn’t an instrument I felt comfortable just pulling out and playing with friends or around a campfire.
Gee, I don’t know. I’d love to be able to say that one night I was sitting around a campfire when one of my companions suddenly pulled out a trombone and started wailing on it.

Last edited:
My response is none.

Until a few years ago had absolutely no experience with instruments or singing.

I wanted to participate in local singalongs, at music festivals, and RV campsites.

In the first year:
. began novice guitar lessons,
. added novice singing lessons,
. In the third semester joined a tolerant choir,
. in the third semester joined a monthly bluegrass slow jam,
. took a six week intro bluegrass course that taught applied guitar techniques, basic music theory, and jamming etiquette
. joined a weekly ukulele group (30 songs in 2 hour sessions) where I played baritone ukulele using guitar techniques
. which was all a very nice beginner’s music foundation.

Cheers.
Did you know that Peter Rowan's first instrument was the ukulele?

All the instruments in my life have had strings. Piano came first, when I was a child, and never left. It became the foundation upon which the rest of my musical life was built. Picked up guitar in high school (when folksongs were all the rage), and was an average strummer for a few decades. Then, when I was in my 50’s, I discovered the celtic harp. It became ~ and still is ~ my main instrument. After that, a bowed psaltery, a plucked psaltery, and a hammered dulcimer joined my growing collection. Five years ago I started playing ukulele. Found it way easier than the guitar (especially on my fingers), and finally managed to learn my way around the fretboard, so that I could play melodies and instrumentals. The only instrument I regret not learning to play is the fiddle. Came close a few times, but I just never lived any place where I disliked my neighbours that much. :)

Started playing a few chords on the ukulele as a kid, switched to guitar for a while when the Beatles “craze” hit the scene, played tenor banjo with a “jug band” in the’70s, most of the time with a harmonica in a “rack”, mainly harmonica while doing a stint in the Navy, back to guitar and harmonica with a progressive country band after I was discharged, eventually arthritis made the guitar painful and difficult, so just played harmonica with a contemporary Christian band for the last 12 years. About 4 years ago I bought my younger son a concert uke for Christmas hoping he would get interested in playing an instrument. I told our bass player that I was thinking about buying one for myself and because of my guitar experience, she suggested the baritone size. Bought one, played it for a few years which led to my acquisition of a “tenor” guitar.
So the short answer is yes…

I failed miserably at the fiddle. I had two setback injuries that really don't affect me playing ukulele. I still wish I played fiddle in a Bluegrass band, and will take that regret to my grave.

Our local québécois/ celtic fiddle group has a couple members who play concertinas instead of fiddle at their sessions. Could this be an option?

Cheers.

Anyone fee the opposite?

Not surprised. Lots families couldn’t afford instruments and lessons. We’re leaving the sidelines and joining the fun.

Top Bottom