A Pair of Ponos

The results are in!!

IMG_7222.jpeg

For those who are interested. I took careful thickness measurements in four places around the sound holes of both the Pono AT and the Pono MS.
Myself and others thought that the improved resonance, projection and depth of sound in the MS might be a combination of the new lattice bracing AND maybe Pono decided to thin out the sound board to get better resonance.
Well, that’s not the case.
The MS was actually thicker all the way around the sound hole than the AT!
Not a lot thicker, but definitely thicker all the way around.
So, I guess it’s the lattice bracing, unless there are other ideas…..

(Of course there was a limited amount of the sound board I could reach with the micrometer)

Edit: Just as a matter of reference my Kamaka HF-3 is MUCH thinner than either one!

Last edited:
Just shows what I know. My money was on the thinner sound board lol.

I have a pair of Ponos as well... an AT_CR tenor and a MB- baritone. They sound totally different of course, but...

Both sound awesome and both have truss rods. I don't think people talk enough about how much the truss rods are a part of the Pono secret sauce... that and the radius fretboards combine to make even these entry level ukes really special. And it only gets better as you step up the ladder and get the upgrade models.

Mine are both keepers!IMG_0876.JPG

Like @scrambled_eggs said earlier, I believe the new lattice braced ones also have a graduated thickness top, so hard to say they're thicker (or thinner) without being able to measure several areas of the soundboard. They may be ultra thin away from the sound hole.

Last edited:
Like scrambled_eggs said earlier, I believe the new lattice braced ones also have a graduated thickness top, so hard to say they're thicker (or thinner) without being able to measure several areas of the soundboard. They may be ultra thin away from the sound hole.
Very true.

Top Bottom