Aloha from Boise

tacgibson

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been lurking for awhile here, thought I would finally introduce myself.

I'm from Hawaii, but currently serving in the military. I used to play uke a little when I was a kid and decided to pick it up again when my kids expressed interest in playing. I've got 8 kids, 2 sets of twins, ages 11 to newborn. I've got 2 tenors, 1 baritone, and a guitalele (that UAS hit hard!)

I also love coffee and enjoy home roasting.

Looking forward to participating in the community!

-AC

Welcome AC! I was in Boise this Fall. Great downtown farmers market and river walk. Had a great time visiting the area. Awesome you get to play uke with your kids!

Welcome AC. UAS and home roasting: my kind of people. I used to hang out a lot at Sweet Maria's, though I haven't roasted my own coffee for some time now. Coffee culture has evolved quite a bit in Southern California in the past 25 years and I can now find local roasters and local shops that can pull a decent shot of espresso. But I still have my morning ritual with my grinder and espresso machine. When ask about that equipment, I tell them that if they want coffee they should get a Nespresso, if they want a hobby, then they should look into an espresso machine and a proper grinder.

Hi AC, welcome to the UU Forum. Glad you decided to become a member.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker. But I do enjoy a cup now and then. Usually a French Roast from, ahem, Starbucks' beans.

I dated a Greek girl in college many years ago and enjoyed that thick heavy coffee they preferred. The thickest one I used to get at a Mediterranean restaurant owned by a Syrian husband and wife. That was more like a thick syrup than coffee. Both were good for a change of pace, but I couldn't drink either every day.

Thank you for your service. It's great that you are playing uke with your kids.

Aloha AC! I'm so glad that you found us here at Ukulele Underground, and I hope you and your family get to come home soon! After a long, bone-dry summer all the way into November (unprecedented in my time here on the windward side!), we're finally getting rain again, and just now snapped this photo of our first rainbow since I can't remember when! Looking due east into Kaneohe Bay. Not the greatest photo, but it made me so happy to see a rainbow after so long without one, and I hope it makes you smile too!

PXL_20231119_013428201.jpg

Thanks again for finding your way here and introducing yourself!

Cheers,
Tim

Welcome AC! I was in Boise this Fall. Great downtown farmers market and river walk. Had a great time visiting the area. Awesome you get to play uke with your kids!
You came during a great time! Love the greenbelt in the fall. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Welcome AC. UAS and home roasting: my kind of people. I used to hang out a lot at Sweet Maria's, though I haven't roasted my own coffee for some time now. Coffee culture has evolved quite a bit in Southern California in the past 25 years and I can now find local roasters and local shops that can pull a decent shot of espresso. But I still have my morning ritual with my grinder and espresso machine. When ask about that equipment, I tell them that if they want coffee they should get a Nespresso, if they want a hobby, then they should look into an espresso machine and a proper grinder.
I couldn't agree more, if you need coffee convenience the Nespresso is hard to beat. If you want that ritual (which I do with 8 kids!), espresso and fresh ground beans are the way to go. That's pretty awesome you've been able to watch coffee culture evolve, I imagine Southern California has some amazing local roasters.

Thanks for the welcome!

Hi AC, welcome to the UU Forum. Glad you decided to become a member.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker. But I do enjoy a cup now and then. Usually a French Roast from, ahem, Starbucks' beans.

I dated a Greek girl in college many years ago and enjoyed that thick heavy coffee they preferred. The thickest one I used to get at a Mediterranean restaurant owned by a Syrian husband and wife. That was more like a thick syrup than coffee. Both were good for a change of pace, but I couldn't drink either every day.

Thank you for your service. It's great that you are playing uke with your kids.
I don't think I've had Greek style coffee, I'll have to track some down sometime!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Aloha AC! I'm so glad that you found us here at Ukulele Underground, and I hope you and your family get to come home soon! After a long, bone-dry summer all the way into November (unprecedented in my time here on the windward side!), we're finally getting rain again, and just now snapped this photo of our first rainbow since I can't remember when! Looking due east into Kaneohe Bay. Not the greatest photo, but it made me so happy to see a rainbow after so long without one, and I hope it makes you smile too!

View attachment 161408

Thanks again for finding your way here and introducing yourself!

Cheers,
Tim
Stunning view! Definitely brought a smile to my face! It's been 13 years since I've been home... round trip tickets from London to Honolulu (I was stationed in England for 8 of those years) was out of my reach with my junior enlisted pay.

My mother still lives in the Kaneohe area, what a small world! Thanks for the warm welcome Tim!

Welcome to UU, AC!
Making music with your family is one of the most beautiful activities I can think of. Enjoy your family and your instruments!

AC⚡BOI-C !!
Nice to hear from you. I grew up about 50 miles away from Boise in the little town of Nyssa, Oregon, on the other side of the Snake River. I also got into the ukulele when my kids were small. I only had three, so you are in a league of your own with eight. TWO sets of TWINS?!? Lighning does strike twice ⚡⚡after all. I was also a huge coffee fan, more on the espresso machine mechanics side of things, but I gave up coffee a couple of years ago. You have a swell family band in your future!

Top Bottom