Aloha, y'all!

SumiUke

Reaction score
Aloha from Austin, TX y'all!

I've been lurking for a few weeks. I've enjoyed learning from your discussions, especially the ones about Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. I contracted a fairly severe case when my Ukestra colleague showed up a few months ago with a Kanile'a D-series. Until then, I'd been very satisfied with my KoAloha concert. Actually, I still love the KoAloha. It sounds so Hawaiian to me. But the UAS whispers that a tenor may help me to relax my shoulders and play with a more open position, and I could find an instrument with a deeper voice for occasions when the brightness of the KoAloha is too much.

My husband gave me my first uke, a Martin S1 Soprano, when I moved to Seattle in 2019. I was going to be there for work for several months and he knew I'd be missing my piano. I learned a few chords and then popped into a ukulele strum along at Dusty Strings in Fremont. I got caught up in the fun of strumming and singing and the "easy to learn, lifetime to master" world of ukulele.

I was only in Seattle for about 8 months, then we all moved to Austin, TX where we still reside. My husband gifted me the KoAloha concert when I mentioned that I wanted more space for my fingers. Strumming and learning basic songs from YouTube tutorials, I weathered the pandemic. Then in 2022, I found a local teacher and have been taking in-person lessons working on blues and jazz.

I'm having a good time on this journey. I'm glad to have found you all.

I've been lurking for a few weeks. I've enjoyed learning from your discussions, especially the ones about Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. I contracted a fairly severe case when my Ukestra colleague showed up a few months ago with a Kanile'a D-series. Until then, I'd been very satisfied with my KoAloha concert. Actually, I still love the KoAloha. It sounds so Hawaiian to me. But the UAS whispers that a tenor may help me to relax my shoulders and play with a more open position, and I could find an instrument with a deeper voice for occasions when the brightness of the KoAloha is too much.

My husband gave me my first uke, a Martin S1 Soprano, when I moved to Seattle in 2019. I was going to be there for work for several months and he knew I'd be missing my piano. I learned a few chords and then popped into a ukulele strum along at Dusty Strings in Fremont. I got caught up in the fun of strumming and singing and the "easy to learn, lifetime to master" world of ukulele.

I was only in Seattle for about 8 months, then we all moved to Austin, TX where we still reside. My husband gifted me the KoAloha concert when I mentioned that I wanted more space for my fingers. Strumming and learning basic songs from YouTube tutorials, I weathered the pandemic. Then in 2022, I found a local teacher and have been taking in-person lessons working on blues and jazz.

Welcome SumiUke! I am impressed with your husband's taste in ukes. I will forever praise the Koaloha concert as its one for the ages (along with vintage Martin concerts) in terms of tone, volume, sustain, all that good stuff.

If the Martin style 1 you have is vintage thats 2 bonus points for sure! another classic (all vintage Martin sopranos). As far as the newer Martins I am igorant.

I'm a tenor player and I will caution you to be sure to test out any of the tenor species before putting down money (unless the seller has a strong return policy). Tenors are another animal. I've found that out early after dealing with the large gap in size and tone, trying literally dozens before finding some wonderfuly balanced tenors. Like books you can't judge a tenor by its looks; you have to try them first.

You might check out my thread on "interested in exceptional tenor ukes" just beware after 20 yrs with tenors I'm still learning; but some interesting thoughts are there.

Hi SumiUke, Welcome to the UU Forum.

Perhaps you are looking for a tenor sporting a Low-G string? It will provide a lower voice and increase the range of your tenor. These days, the number of tenor ukuleles available are seemingly endless. A tenor will for sure provide your fingers with more room on the fretboard.

That's all I play and I am lucky enough to have several to choose from. It allows me to select the voice I want to suit my mood or a particular song. Now if I could only play well enough to do the same. :confused:

I think solid Koa is a very versatile tone wood. Mahogany, Myrtle, Maple and others are also terrific. Tenors with Spruce, Cedar or Redwood soundboards are nice too. Have fun with your search.

Are you a member of the very well-known Austin Ukulele Society? (AUS) From what I've seen and read, it sounds like a great club.

I love Austin. I have several cousins who live there. They do their very best to help Keep Austin Weird.

Welcome!

Welcome to UU, SumiUke!
From your opening post it's clear that you love music, that you have a very supportive husband, that you're lucky to play fantastic instruments, and that you're excited to be here! I'm looking forward to reading more from you!

Welcome to UU, SumiUke!
From your opening post it's clear that you love music, that you have a very supportive husband, that you're lucky to play fantastic instruments, and that you're excited to be here! I'm looking forward to reading more from you!
Yes, I am very lucky! My husband is very supportive. You could call him an “enabler”. :)
Welcome SumiUke! I am impressed with your husband's taste in ukes. I will forever praise the Koaloha concert as its one for the ages (along with vintage Martin concerts) in terms of tone, volume, sustain, all that good stuff.

If the Martin style 1 you have is vintage thats 2 bonus points for sure! another classic (all vintage Martin sopranos). As far as the newer Martins I am igorant.

I'm a tenor player and I will caution you to be sure to test out any of the tenor species before putting down money (unless the seller has a strong return policy). Tenors are another animal. I've found that out early after dealing with the large gap in size and tone, trying literally dozens before finding some wonderfuly balanced tenors. Like books you can't judge a tenor by its looks; you have to try them first.

You might check out my thread on "interested in exceptional tenor ukes" just beware after 20 yrs with tenors I'm still learning; but some interesting thoughts are there.
I will check out that thread!

I would love to try out many tenors before I buy, but I don’t seem to have a local source that stocks exceptional ukuleles. UAS whispers in my ear, “that’s ok, you may need to buy and sell a few before you find the one!”

Are there retail stores outside of Hawaii (continental US) that have a good selection?

Are you a member of the very well-known Austin Ukulele Society? (AUS) From what I've seen and read, it sounds like a great club.

I love Austin. I have several cousins who live there. They do their very best to help Keep Austin Weird.
I just attended my first Austin Ukulele Society last month! I had a great time. The organizer, Bob, is a great teacher.

I’m glad your cousins are keeping it weird. I love that about Austin!

Yes, I am very lucky! My husband is very supportive. You could call him an “enabler”. :)

I will check out that thread!

I would love to try out many tenors before I buy, but I don’t seem to have a local source that stocks exceptional ukuleles. UAS whispers in my ear, “that’s ok, you may need to buy and sell a few before you find the one!”

Are there retail stores outside of Hawaii (continental US) that have a good selection?
Ukes have gotten huge popularity around the globe and Austin is famous for its music.

There must be great music stores there, likely with some of the 3 K brands (Koaloha, Kamaka, Kanilea) from Hawaii, mind you these are their production models, not their customs, but many swear by them... hopefully some custom ukes from exceptional luthiers, and a slew of imported factory made brands such as Kala which are decent for the price.

I went through them all in the first years of my journey, having preferred the tenor size eventually I've commited, like probably 20% of the uke community, to playing a custom tenor. It's sort of another level of UAS since the price goes up exponentially.

The difference in tonal value of over a stock production tenor is not in proportion to the larger price you pay. Ie. $1400 for a new base model Kamaka or Koaloha tenor which are the high end production ukes, compared to anywhere from 2-5 times that for a reputable custom tenor. Any good luthier will tell you that the time and skill it takes to make a custom uke is similar to a guitar.

Are they 2-5 times better? Not exactly. Alas it seems excellence comes in small doses and the price is higher, but for some of us, we make it a priority to have that.

If you are interested check out Hawaii Music Supply channel on Youtube... they feature the best customs and builders regularly. Thanks to them for bringing exposure to some great uke luthiers.

btw I rave about Martin vintage concerts (and sopranos) and the Koaloha concert and these are production ukes, yet they consistently match tonal value of any custom in those shorter scale ranges... IMO. There's something that gets lost in the translation when it come to tenors; again imo.

Anyway its all in good fun, happy hunting.

Welcome to UU! I pity you for your UAS.
/s
Have you sought out Uke republic or MIMS Ukes?

There must be great music stores there, likely with some of the 3 K brands (Koaloha, Kamaka, Kanilea) from Hawaii, mind you these are their production models, not their customs, but many swear by them... hopefully some custom ukes from exceptional luthiers, and a slew of imported factory made brands such as Kala which are decent for the price.
Have you sought out Uke republic or MIMS Ukes?

I’ve visited my local stores: Strait Music and the Guitar Center. Both carry ukuleles < $800 but there was only one higher end uke there (on consignment).

There is another store, Fiddler’s Green, a bit further away but I’ve heard they are moving and have no higher end ukes at the moment. Strait has also recently moved so maybe they will get more stock.

I see Mim’s is in Virginia and Uke Republic is in Georgia. I could try those… or maybe I’ll just have to “suffer through” a trip to Hawaii. LOL.

I love the videos on The Ukulele Site and Ukulele Friend, but I’d really like to play one myself.

I love the videos on The Ukulele Site and Ukulele Friend, but I’d really like to play one myself.
100% ! ...
(maybe 99% if you like to gamble... win some lose some) back in the day I relied some on a good return policy.
A few went back in the mail the same day!

It takes energy... can't believe I did all that.

A big benefit of belonging to a ukulele club is that you can ask other members about their instruments. How they like it, etc. Quite often they will allow you to hold and play it if you ask nicely.

You'll be surprised how seldom most people change their strings or know much about their instrument. Unless, of course, they are fellow UU Forum members.... o_O

I’ve visited my local stores: Strait Music and the Guitar Center. Both carry ukuleles < $800 but there was only one higher end uke there (on consignment).

There is another store, Fiddler’s Green, a bit further away but I’ve heard they are moving and have no higher end ukes at the moment. Strait has also recently moved so maybe they will get more stock.
I was about to suggest Fiddler's Green, but i haven't visited since they moved - they used to have a fabulous selection! Might be worth a call. At any rate, welcome! I'm new here also (and in the ATX)

I was about to suggest Fiddler's Green, but i haven't visited since they moved - they used to have a fabulous selection! Might be worth a call. At any rate, welcome! I'm new here also (and in the ATX)
Hello, neighbor! nice to meet you!

Top Bottom