Alternate Tuning Contest!

This is my first attempt at slide ukulele in open C with a low G - GCEG
Sorry that I had to resort to Youtube, but I have no other way of posting songs. I made sure to use a black screen.
This is played on a Joe Zier Concert uke with Worth browns. The treble string was replaced with a d'Adderio when it broke.

Last edited:
…Creativity and uniqueness will be judged over skill level…
Taking you very literally here 😁

The story goes like this. @engravertom posted a link earlier today for a song of his called A Dream I Can’t Recall. It’s in funky tuning - lowG#, C, Eb, G. Open seventh something (can’t remember now).

I wanted to try it, because I really liked the last song of his I played. I don’t have a low G uke at the moment but I have UBB baby baritone strings on a concert. So I mathed (possibly not correctly!). Tune up 1/2, same, down 1/2, down 1. I tune my baby baritone to lowD#, G, Bb, D. Strum the open strings. Very pretty.

Which is when I decide to record my first run-through, because this moment will never happen again. First alternate-tuning playing by me ever! It can be my contest entry!! World premiere!!!

I managed to hold that confidence through a few bars 🤣. You get the first 24, complete with autistic kiddo sound effects. The last 9 bars shall remain a mystery. Trust me, it’s better that way.

View attachment Dream I Can’t Recall.m4a

Last edited:

The story goes like this. @engravertom posted a link earlier today for a song of his called A Dream I Can’t Recall. It’s in funky tuning - lowG#, C, Eb, G. Open seventh something (can’t remember now).

I wanted to try it, because I really liked the last song of his I played. I don’t have a low G uke at the moment but I have UBB baby baritone strings on a concert. So I mathed (possibly not correctly!). Tune up 1/2, same, down 1/2, down 1. I tune my baby baritone to lowD#, G, Bb, D. Strum the open strings. Very pretty.

Which is when I decide to record my first run-through, because this moment will never happen again. First alternate-tuning playing by me ever! It can be my contest entry!! World premiere!!!

I managed to hold that confidence through a few bars 🤣. You get the first 24, complete with autistic kiddo sound effects. The last 9 bars shall remain a mystery. Trust me, it’s better that way.

View attachment 173466
That is a beautiful piece and well done!! For those of you who have yet to meet, modwitch has leapt whole-heartedly into our community and has embraced the ukulele with much enthusiasm and passion. I'm so impressed that you ran with this and @engravertom thank you for providing the beautiful inspiration for modwitch!

That is a beautiful piece and well done!! For those of you who have yet to meet, modwitch has leapt whole-heartedly into our community and has embraced the ukulele with much enthusiasm and passion. I'm so impressed that you ran with this and @engravertom thank you for providing the beautiful inspiration for modwitch!
It became a much more beautiful piece after I played it a few more times. Tom has a special touch.

This is a delightful community and it’s fun to be the reckless novice in the room!

View attachment 173466
Bravo Debora! I guess where there's a will, there's a way. It's so wonderful that you were inspired by Tom's dreamy melody and acted immediately to rejigger your baby bari strung concert uke and record your first ever alternative tuned instrumental, well done you!

Been out of town for work and didn't bring a computer with me, so just now getting caught up on entries. Loving all of them! Keep them coming! Just over one more week to go :)

Bravo Debora! I guess where there's a will, there's a way. It's so wonderful that you were inspired by Tom's dreamy melody and acted immediately to rejigger your baby bari strung concert uke and record your first ever alternative tuned instrumental, well done you!
Thank you! I figured it would amuse folks, and it was fun. My son really liked the song, too. Always good when I’m playing something he likes - I get to practice longer that way. It was a really interesting way to learn why alternate tunings are worth trying. The song has lots of open strings.

Thank you! I figured it would amuse folks, and it was fun. My son really liked the song, too. Always good when I’m playing something he likes - I get to practice longer that way. It was a really interesting way to learn why alternate tunings are worth trying. The song has lots of open strings.
Thanks for giving my song a try!

I am at work so I’ll listen during lunchtime.

Yes, the open strings are key to the playability. I have arranged it in another tuning, but it’s not quite the same.

I discovered the tuning by experimenting with alternatives to open D. I then learned that the open major 7 tuning is a form of Hawaiian slack key guitar tuning known as Wahine.

Nothing new under the sun!

View attachment 173466
Sounds great! I originally wrote it on a guitar, so your version is close to the tonality of my first version of this piece.

thank you so much!

Top Bottom