Ancient music 4 ukulele

gilles T

Reaction score
Dear baroque freaks and classical lovers,

I would like to draw your attention to a new and exciting online resource for the fingerstyle lovers :
http://ancientmusic4ukulele.com/

Already a ton of music available, ranging from the well known original repertoire for renaissance guitar (which, need I say, can be played note for note on any linear tuned uke) to advanced baroque transcriptions (amongst which the entire seven parts suite 34 from Silvius Leopold Weiss).

The site is run by Mr Robert Vanderzweerde, there's also a YT channel (midi renditions only, with scrolling scores) :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIKA4doTo0_rJskEFPPfgGA

The scores are fairly priced and this work deserves a wide recognition.
Regards,
Gilles

Thank you very interesting. The is also a book call From Lute to Uke that has several older pieces that are arranged for ukulele. One of them is attributed to Henry VIII. Guess I better get out the Lute -a-lele to play this.download.jpg

@Patty I just discovered this site independently of UU, but thought I'd link you to this thread in case you'd be interested. I've just ordered
The Renaissance Ukulele
The Medieval Ukulele
The Baroque Ukulele
The Yuletide Ukulele
in printable PDF download versions ($7 per). They're all arranged for linear tuning.

@Patty I just discovered this site independently of UU, but thought I'd link you to this thread in case you'd be interested. I've just ordered
The Renaissance Ukulele
The Medieval Ukulele
The Baroque Ukulele
The Yuletide Ukulele
in printable PDF download versions ($7 per). They're all arranged for linear tuning.
Thanks, Ploverwing!

Just reviving this thread to ask what folks think of these books.

A related, thread-hijacky question: What resources (online, print) would you recommend for beginning to learn this style of playing? Thanks!

I’ve ordered many things from the “Ancient Music” site and it’s terrific. You need to use linear tuning (low G) for this style of playing, by the way.

Also, go to Ukulele Corner and just look around, explore. Lots of great lessons & videos for players interested in classical music. Then order Jeff Peterson’s book Graded Repertoire for Classical Ukulele.

I’ve almost worn out my copy of this book. And at the website you can watch Jeff perform each of the pieces.

Then order Jeff Peterson’s book Graded Repertoire for Classical Ukulele.

I’ve almost worn out my copy of this book. And at the website you can watch Jeff perform each of the pieces.

This is a fantastic book!!I haven’t opened it in a quite a while because I’ve mostly been practicing my other instruments but when I am next inspired to work on uke again this book will be out on the music stand. It’s so good. In addition to being great for building technique and repertoire the simpler pieces in the beginning are fantastic for working on site reading in standard notation (if one is inclined to do so) and that’s one of the ways I’ve been using it.

And yeah, his YouTube channel is full of amazing performances.

Last edited:
This looks interesting and potentially useful! Bit of an oddity that the easiest way to buy is eBook.

I will definitely add my enthusiastic agreement to the Greded Repertoire, and include the related companion 20 Practice Routines for Classical Ukulele in my recommendation. I am still working on the pieces from Grade One, because I got somewhat sidetracked with the AncientMusic4Ukulele pieces. I've tried some from Grade 2 but haven't gotten very far.

Just in case you are interested, I'd started this thread last year to review the resources that I'd used thus far on my ukulele journey. The only book I've subsequently added is the "Arpeggio Meditations for Ukulele" by Daniel Ward. I practice the first and third from this book every time I pick up the ukulele now, even though it's written for reentrant, it's perfectly fine on linear. I have yet to progress (didn't feel like learning the second one yet, and the third is pretty challenging still - that's the Roll and Pull that I'd sent you a sound clip for ZaBeth) beyond the third piece.

I find that being a Patreon if Samantha Muir's has also provided me with a lot of early music pieces, and many are written using tablature, so I play them in linear for the most part.

I don't know whether your instruments are tuned reentrant or linear, but I'd also listed the reentrant resources that I've got in tha thread, and there are a number that are similar to the early music or are classical pieces.

Top Bottom