aNueNue Factory, a 42-image blog post from 2019 by Johnson Barclay

Wukulele

Reaction score
There’s been plenty of information in videos from Taiwan’s aNueNueMusic, featuring some of their Japanese design influences, namely a famous Japanese luthier named Kenji Sugita. (aNueNueMusic is an entirely different youtube channel from aNueNueUSA’s channel).

But what about how aNueNue instruments are made?

Just came across a 2019 blog post by photographer & uke/guitar fan, Johnson Barclays, featuring 42 images of the manufacturing/building of aNueNue instruments in southern China in GuangZhou, just north of Hong Kong.

Screen shots of some of the 1st few photos…
poor resolution since I haven’t figured size limits for nonpaying mooching UU forum members like me, yet (although I am a happy paying member of UU+…).

(This UUforum post was prompted by just having received a package from aNueNueUSA.com yesterday. That might be another post later on)

E234F9AB-EB63-4894-9AE5-48D74F5967A7.jpeg

Thanks that was an enjoyable blog read. I am surprised at the large number of staff involved, this is quite a big company.
There could be 2 tiers of makers, like many other larger (?) respected uke/guitar brands (Martin, Taylor, Guild; Yamaha, Yairi [S. Yairi vs K. Yairi], Kala & others).
The full spread is probably the whole shebang in 2019. There‘a no way they could have gotten by on the original 8 or 16 luthiers mentioned in earlier videos, given the demand for instruments is likely proportionally higher in Asia).

Oftentimes with companies that scale up (in almost any industry, not just ukes/guitars although Martin & Kala come to mind), quality can deteriorate as they spread themselves too thin, especially on the less fancier product lines. But aNueNue seems to not fallen into that trap.

There could be 2 tiers of makers, like many other larger (?) respected uke/guitar brands (Martin, Taylor, Guild; Yamaha, Yairi [S. Yairi vs K. Yairi], Kala & others).
The full spread is probably the whole shebang in 2019. There‘a no way they could have gotten by on the original 8 or 16 luthiers mentioned in earlier videos, given the demand for instruments is likely proportionally higher in Asia).

Oftentimes with companies that scale up (in almost any industry, not just ukes/guitars although Martin & Kala come to mind), quality can deteriorate as they spread themselves too thin, especially on the less fancier product lines. But aNueNue seems to not fallen into that trap.
Indeed, and they are probably even larger now three years later. I guess as they are often compared to the Hawaiian brands I would have expected them to be of similar small size. But as they also have a much larger variety of product (guitars, cheaper ukes etc) it makes sense that they have more employees.

Top Bottom