Any Ukulele Playing Pilots Here??

Doc Ivory

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been a pilot since about age 17.
Gliders were my first love but I followed with my love for Piper cubs (65hp, hand prop) and Stearman.
I do have time in twins, seaplanes, etc but never followed thru on those ratings.

I'll take friends to Key West for lunch or up to St, Petersburg for a look around , abut always in a C172 or C182.

Any pilots here?

-Jim

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 2015-10-01 084038.JPG
    2015-10-01 084038.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 12
  • cessna.jpg
    cessna.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11
  • cirrus.jpg
    cirrus.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0952.JPG
    DSCN0952.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 12
  • marathon.jpg
    marathon.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 13
I was an A&E/AI for most of my adult life. I worked part time for a flight services at a small municipal airport.. I flew until about ten years ago when I failed my medical. The only reason I wrenched on airplanes was to get flight time. When I lost my medical I lost interest.

I was an A&E/AI for most of my adult life. I worked part time for a flight services at a small municipal airport.. I flew until about ten years ago when I failed my medical. The only reason I wrenched on airplanes was to get flight time. When I lost my medical I lost interest.
When i was in my teens, i hadda run a glider line for 8 hours just to get a 30 minute lesson.
My medical is still intact, but if i renew, I'll fail it.
Getting older can be the pits.

-Jim

My family is full of pilots; I grew up around aerobatics and commercial aviation. Being the odd one out, my own participation in general aviation has always been constrained to gliders.

Up until around 3 years ago, I owned and soared a Discus-2b. I loved it, but my mental health deteriorated during the pandemic, and I sold the Discus out of concern for safety. I was distraught at the time, but I’m certain now that I made the right call.

I yearn to take to the skies once again someday though I ruefully understand that will probably never happen. I’m hopeful a few other UUers will share their stories and pictures so that I might live vicariously.

My family is full of pilots; I grew up around aerobatics and commercial aviation. Being the odd one out, my own participation in general aviation has always been constrained to gliders.

Up until around 3 years ago, I owned and soared a Discus-2b. I loved it, but my mental health deteriorated during the pandemic, and I sold the Discus out of concern for safety. I was distraught at the time, but I’m certain now that I made the right call.

I yearn to take to the skies once again someday though I ruefully understand that will probably never happen. I’m hopeful a few other UUers will share their stories and pictures so that I might live vicariously.
The Discus is a WAY COOL sailplane.
I remember when the first version came out and it instantly was on all the race circuits.
Sorry you sold it, that's a solid and pretty bird.

Sorry you quit flying but for the right reasons. Judgement is a priority with pilots.
I'm not flying as well dur to a diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy. I probably could pass the "Easy Med" physical but if on downwind or other somesuch situation, I lose feeling on both legs from the lower knee down, i could cause an "incident".

I am an instrument rated pilot for 38 years, F-33 Bonanza.
also an AME here in Monterey
Ron
I took a few rides in a Cirrus with thoughts of buying.
My stick and rudder style took over and i stuck with Cubs. Always liked Bonanzas though, especially V tails.
Always heard the tail liked "hunt" or "wag" during turbulence, never found that to the the case though.

The Discus is a WAY COOL sailplane.
I remember when the first version came out and it instantly was on all the race circuits.
Sorry you sold it, that's a solid and pretty bird.

Sorry you quit flying but for the right reasons. Judgement is a priority with pilots.
I'm not flying as well dur to a diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy. I probably could pass the "Easy Med" physical but if on downwind or other somesuch situation, I lose feeling on both legs from the lower knee down, i could cause an "incident".
I had a few uncomfortable flights before I failed my medical and had avoided flying for six months or so before. I don't know why I even took the physical, I guess I just wanted to have it. Or maybe I thought the ME would say that there wasn't anything wrong, that I was making more of it than there was. A lot of pilots told me I should have just not taken the medical and gone Sport Pilot. But I knew deep down that I was a danger to myself and my passengers when I flew. I felt a load off my shoulders when the ME said, " sorry."

I had a few uncomfortable flights before I failed my medical and had avoided flying for six months or so before. I don't know why I even took the physical, I guess I just wanted to have it. Or maybe I thought the ME would say that there wasn't anything wrong, that I was making more of it than there was. A lot of pilots told me I should have just not taken the medical and gone Sport Pilot. But I knew deep down that I was a danger to myself and my passengers when I flew. I felt a load off my shoulders when the ME said, " sorry."
I understand.

I am an instrument rated pilot for 38 years, F-33 Bonanza.
also an AME here in Monterey
Ron
I flew the bonanza during flight school days many many moons ago. Absolutely loved it. Not the V tail version. We used to joke that it was the poor man’s Spitfire. On the takeoff you really had to put quite a bit of right rudder to keep it going straight down the runway. And the rudder was linked to the ailerons so when you turn the rudder is automatically applied to prevent skid. My first twin was the Baron, same engine as the Bonanza, just tuned down. Those things were a pain to start in the summer or when the engine was hot. I really miss GA flying.

I flew the bonanza during flight school days many many moons ago. Absolutely loved it. Not the V tail version. We used to joke that it was the poor man’s Spitfire. On the takeoff you really had to put quite a bit of right rudder to keep it going straight down the runway. And the rudder was linked to the ailerons so when you turn the rudder is automatically applied to prevent skid. My first twin was the Baron, same engine as the Bonanza, just tuned down. Those things were a pain to start in the summer or when the engine was hot. I really miss GA flying.
Baron was a solid airplane.
I only managed a bit of time in a Cessna 310

Top Bottom