Anyone buy or know of "Not Your Daddy's Ukulele"?Thanks!

GeorgeLynn

Reaction score
I am a new member here.
Long time guitarist and vocalist.

Attempting to decorate my music room,I searched on line for ukuleles that sported a unique "artistic" top.
In my haste,I purchased an "abstract" ukulele from a site called "Not your daddy's ukulele ".
It appears to be a subdivision of skinnyswebworks.com .
Some sort of graphic web designer.
I discovered Mims ukulele site(very good!) the next day, and attempted to cancel my order with "Not you Daddy's ukulele " site.
I am unable to contact either the 'Not your daddy's" or the "Skinny" website.The emails bounce back!
The phone number associated with them is that of a private person.The person answering was very friendly, and she told me she has been receiving multiple calls over the past two years like mine.

Does anyone have experience with this ukulele seller?

I should have been more diligent before buying as there are some red flags there, like no mention of return policy,shipping info etc.

In 10 days I can proceed with a claim via PayPal...

Because my lowbrow taste leans toward painted ukes & I was casting about for design ideas for a “kit/ self-assembly” uke I’d received as a 2021 Christmas gift, I checked out NYDU last year. At the time, I was completely ignorant of ukes but was suspicious of instrument quality solely because 100% of the focus was on the art.

Reading between the lines, I’m guessing you’re not happy with sound quality. I’m interested to know whether the art on your uke is directly painted on the wood or is it a wrap/ decal / skin?

Robert Armstrong (guitar & musical saw player for R Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders) has, in my opinion, designed the all time greatest painted ukes (armstrongartandnovelyhut.com).
Clark
Canton, GA USA

Last edited:
I am a new member here.
Long time guitarist and vocalist.

Attempting to decorate my music room,I searched on line for ukuleles that sported a unique "artistic" top.
In my haste,I purchased an "abstract" ukulele from a site called "Not your daddy's ukulele ".
It appears to be a subdivision of skinnyswebworks.com .
Some sort of graphic web designer.
I discovered Mims ukulele site(very good!) the next day, and attempted to cancel my order with "Not you Daddy's ukulele " site.
I am unable to contact either the 'Not your daddy's" or the "Skinny" website.The emails bounce back!
The phone number associated with them is that of a private person.The person answering was very friendly, and she told me she has been receiving multiple calls over the past two years like mine.

Does anyone have experience with this ukulele seller?

I should have been more diligent before buying as there are some red flags there, like no mention of return policy,shipping info etc.

In 10 days I can proceed with a claim via PayPal...
That site has lots of data but the quality of the images and text are really sketchy; otoh, they offer selling uke "skins" and even often bulk sales. It might be legitimate. I do know there are well known brands that sell artsy ukes- we have a UU member that does amazing art work with ukes.

Hope this turns out well for you!

That site has lots of data but the quality of the images and text are really sketchy; otoh, they offer selling uke "skins" and even often bulk sales. It might be legitimate. I do know there are well known brands that sell artsy ukes- we have a UU member that does amazing art work with ukes.

Hope this turns out well for you!
Thanks,

I have yet to buy an online product without a detailed description of the return policy.The bounced back email and phony telephone number are enough evidence for me to believe that this is a scam site.

There is no mention of a "no returns policy" either .And the shipping charges are double of what Mims displays.

GL

Please disregard my earlier post with questions. Bounced emails and non-working phone numbers speak for themselves.

As to ukes as wall decor, I suggest locating someone in your area who owns a Cricut-brand vinyl cutter. Even the lowest-end Cricuts are able to print 4-color images on decent- quality, adhesive backed vinyl up to 9.25 inches in length & width. Via PM, I’m happy to provide non-reproduce-able images of some of my original uke artwork if you’re interested. [SEE EDIT BELOW] I recently posted 3 of those images in a UUF thread:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...s-kiwaya-laminate-fu-120p.159475/post-2425814

EDIT: Intended to read, ". . . if you're interested in shipping a uke of your choice for me to paint your selected image on the sound board & ship the finished product back to you. I don't offer staining/ sealing for any portion of the uke other than the sound board. I use acrylic craft paint, finished with at minimum of 3 coats of clear spray sealant, wet sanded between coats."

Last edited:
Please disregard my earlier post with questions. Bounced emails and non-working phone numbers speak for themselves.

As to ukes as wall decor, I suggest locating someone in your area who owns a Cricut-brand vinyl cutter. Even the lowest-end Cricuts are able to print 4-color images on decent- quality, adhesive backed vinyl up to 9.25 inches in length & width. Via PM, I’m happy to provide non-reproduce-able images of some of my original uke artwork if you’re interested. I recently posted 3 of those images in a UUF thread:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...s-kiwaya-laminate-fu-120p.159475/post-2425814
I can't imagine how many UU'rs would love to have a Yowling Tom- I know I would!

Thanks, but I’m unable to sell that specific image b/c Kenny Hill holds a copyright.
And that's another reason why you should paint your pineapple uke with an original design. The first reason being, that it's your ukulele. I know I'll enjoy seeing the results.

And that's another reason why you should paint your pineapple uke with an original design. The first reason being, that it's your ukulele. I know I'll enjoy seeing the results.
Already doing just that, and for that specific reason. It’s going to a SPAM-ous pineapple. Will post pics when completed, and will likely give it to my son for his upcoming 30th birthday, fitting since it was built around 30 years ago…

An update and staying on the subject matter of this post, this is what transpired:

I contacted PayPal regarding my suspicion of fraud with the strong evidence I had obtained.

It was a hassle!

After speaking with 3 PayPal agents, they confirmed that I would be granted a refund...

Well, that took over a month ....

"Not your daddy's ukulele " website still exists and PayPal continues to support it!

The seller and website have been reported to the Federal Trade Commission.The PayPal agent involved stated that they were not interested in investigating the seller...

There could be a good website for "Not your daddy's ukulele ", and one or more genuine looking phonies. They just change their online address wording, or just one letter.

Worst I've seen is for a premium (up to $3000) rifle scope company. At one time there were six websites for it. The dead giveaway in this case is that the real site doesn't sell, just gives info. The phony sites even have great "sales" to lure you in. One was a "discount outlet" for that company and everything was cheaper. Of course they only offered the highest priced ones. Some list other brands. Last I knew the company is still fighting the fakes.

Online safety is getting worse every day. Eventually the internet will just be a big catalog and encyclopedia, nothing involving money. Fitting punishment for the crooks would involve fingers and a hammer ... :mad:

Last edited:
Well said, OJN. I’m guessing the OP shares my interest in hearing from any UUF member who may have had a positive experience with NYDL. Any such person out there?

There could be a good website for "Not your daddy's ukulele ", and one or more genuine looking phonies. They just change their online address wording, or just one letter.

Worst I've seen is for a premium (up to $3000) rifle scope company. At one time there were six websites for it. The dead giveaway in this case is that the real site doesn't sell, just gives info. The phony sites even have great "sales" to lure you in. One was a "discount outlet" for that company and everything was cheaper. Of course they only offered the highest priced ones. Some list other brands. Last I knew the company is still fighting the fakes.

Online safety is getting worse every day. Eventually the internet will just be a big catalog and encyclopedia, nothing involving money. Fitting punishment for the crooks would involve fingers and a hammer ... :mad:
Google is planning on "drm'ing" the internet, their "web integrity api" which will basically kill the internet we currently know and utilize.

Thanks everyone !!
What bothers me was Paypal's complacent attitude.They had no interest in removing this fraud from the PayPal payment option.

It is 100 per cent fraudulent.There is a phone number for contact on the website.I called that number.
A very decent lady answered the call.She is a private person and confided to me that many others have been calling her trying to reach the seller.

You know, we all pay for his one way or another.Someone has to take the tab.

And I had to talk to 3 different PayPal agents. I think they though that initially I was the fraud, trying to receive a refund for something that I already possessed.

I suspect many people are attempting to de fraud PayPal that way.Several years ago I had a similar situation ends did not have to go though any hoops.On that occasion the refund was immediate.

Top Bottom