Are all soprano/concert Sized Harshell Cases made to fit ANY soprano/concert size ukulele?

GeoffHW

Reaction score
Now I know pineapples are different. But I am more asking if a soprano from one company (let's say Kamaka) and a soprano ukulele that has a more Nunes shaped body will fit in the same soprano sized case?

I have an Eastman EU3C on the way. Unfortunately, it will be coming in a soft padded case. So I want to buy a case for it at my local shop.

Or if anyone has case recommendations for a concert Sized ukulele case, that would also work. Hoping to spend $60 or less.

Last edited:
It is probably best to check dimensions of the instrument and the case as the sizes vary slightly. It is not always a big deal as if the case were a little big, you could always add a little extra padding to take up the difference.

The majority of cases today are slightly bigger than they used to be because the same is true of ukuleles. If you have a soprano built to Martin dimensions then it will be a perfect fit in a Gator Journeyman case, but rather loose in a TGI ABS case, for example. A Nunes shape is, if anything, likely to be a little smaller still.

Definitely check the dimensions, unless you're prepared to either return a case that's too small or stuff extra padding into an oversized one.

5ish years ago I bought one of those copy-cat tweed cases from Amazon. It was a concert size. It barely fit my Koaloha Opio, and did not fit my Kamaka HF-2.

From that experience I learned to measure first.

I think it was this one, which was only $30 then: https://tinyurl.com/475x7vem

Older soprano cases were often built using the Martin soprano dimensions (which is on the smaller side), but increasingly cases are roomier to accommodate a wider range of instruments. I suspect a Gator would just about fit a Kamaka but I will let others confirm. Anuenue sopranos probably wouldn’t fit in any soprano case except their own branded one, as they have big bodies.

Older soprano cases were often built using the Martin soprano dimensions (which is on the smaller side), but increasingly cases are roomier to accommodate a wider range of instruments. I suspect a Gator would just about fit a Kamaka but I will let others confirm. Anuenue sopranos probably wouldn’t fit in any soprano case except their own branded one, as they have big bodies.
I think my Eastman is based on some more traditional early Hawaiian dimensions. I may just take the uke to my local shop and see if they have anything that fits snugs.

Because I like things to be "just so" I have used folded pieces of thick fleece fabric to improve the snug factor if the fit isn't to my liking. Works great.

You'll want to measure to assure you get the right fit. Most of my hard cases are the (Glarry?) python pattern cases you find on Ebay for around $35. They hold my Bonanza, KoAloha Opio and 2 Ohana's. I have a Kala and it's too big to fit into those cases so I had to get a Musician's Friend case for that as they were a bit bigger.

Top Bottom