Are these things overrated?

practically never see uke players checking intonation in the store as they compare. at least not in the traditional way. I don't see comparing weight or even volume. At least not openly like "i'll get this one cause it's lighter or louder." The two things most considered are feel and tone. Things that can't be proven. Many beginners want to prove their uke is "correct". Playing in tune has a lot to do with feel and experience. fretting /chording with proper finger pressure, using vibrato to your advantage etc. I know what you mean though Daniel, sometimes the people that gotta be within 2 cents on the intonation keep playing while their A string is 5 cents off. my 2 cent. The first thing wrong is usually the player, no offense or anything, that's what's wrong with my ukes too

"The first thing wrong is usually the player, no offense or anything, that's what's wrong with my ukes too "
That is so true. I thought my Kamaka pineapple didn't sound all that great going up the neck. Then when we were jamming I gave it to a "Pro" that was sitting next to me to try. Nothing wrong with that uke, just the player. LOL

practically never see uke players checking intonation in the store as they compare. at least not in the traditional way. I don't see comparing weight or even volume. At least not openly like "i'll get this one cause it's lighter or louder." The two things most considered are feel and tone. Things that can't be proven. Many beginners want to prove their uke is "correct". Playing in tune has a lot to do with feel and experience. fretting /chording with proper finger pressure, using vibrato to your advantage etc. I know what you mean though Daniel, sometimes the people that gotta be within 2 cents on the intonation keep playing while their A string is 5 cents off. my 2 cent. The first thing wrong is usually the player, no offense or anything, that's what's wrong with my ukes too

Andrew,

You could definitely sell me a uke cuz I am into feel and tone!

Of course, I'm not talking about a uke that plays 20 cents sharp or flat...I must have a few of those badly intonated ukes as well! HAHAHA

Interesting discussion.......

Being a novice I probably don't have the trained ears of a more experienced player but I know what sounds right to me. Not that I have bought many ukulele's but I have tried quite a few. My main criteria for deciding what is, to me, a good intrument are 1) sound, 2) 'feel' and ease of playing. Looks are not very important to me.

To me weight and intonation are incredibly important, not sure how good intonation could ever be over-rated. A uke with bad intonation is unplayable. Lighter ukes tend to be more responsive, but ideally a uke would at least be nicely balanced and not top-heavy. Volume is less important to me as opposed to tone.

Pretty much this. ^

3) Perfect Intonation - I used to obsess over intonation when I first started and used to constantly checked the 12th fret but now, it's not as big a deal as I realize that I bend the strings with my imperfect technique and I learn to compensate by how hard I place them, closer to the fret, etc. Now, I enjoy just playing and don't mind a flat or sharp note as I don't have perfect technique.

Do you agree or disagree? What are other things that are overrated?

My instruments have to intonate really well or I can't keep it.

Last edited:
I would love to see some videos with a tuner and plucking open strings and then playing the 12th fret...After, I want to see some scales up the neck. I want to see those perfecty intonated notes!!

Again, I said perfect intonation and people think I am talking about playing an open G note but sounding like a G sharp! HAHAHA

Last edited:
It seems to be a synergy thing. It all has to come together and work, the wood, finish, strings, construction technique, player, etc. you mostly get what you pay for, but there are exceptions. I have had a few really cheap instruments that sound and play really good,probably a few that come off of every line will shine for whatever reason. and an expensive one that for me sounded dead. It looked great though. I bought a super heavy plywood no name bari on the bAY that you couldn't break if you stomped on it, and with the right strings, that uke turned ouT to be awesome. go figure.

Top Bottom