Are you tenor or soprano?

Over the years I’ve bought, sold and traded a bunch of ukuleles without giving size to much thought. That said, I consider myself to be a concert player. However, the few times I’ve bothered to check I always seem to have more sopranos than any other size. Go figure.

I have one of each size, soprano to baritone. After playing for a couple of months on an entry level soprano I bought a tenor, which I stuck with for maybe a year before I got a concert, which is my Goldilocks size. I’ll play all of them, but concert feels the most natural to me, and I like the sound a little better than soprano. It’s a close thing, though. Really I like all ukuleles.

My path chose me:

-Soprano scales are happy being standard gCEA ukulele (optionally, low G), or GDAE mandolin.

-Concert scales are happy being standard gCEA ukulele (optionally, low G), GDAE mandolin, or reentry dGBE baritone

-Tenor scales are happy being standard ukulele (optionally, low G) or reentry dGBE baritone.

-Baritone scales are happy being DGBE baritone. Other tunings are possible.

If I had to choose only one scale it would be concert due to its tuning versatility and comfortable size, that being portability and fret spacing.

Last edited:
whatever i can get for about half the new price or less! I started on a concert because the guy at the store recommended it. The last one i got was a concert but I’d select a tenor to play in public.

I tend to lean more towards my Tenor’s mainly because of my fat fingers and they just feel easier to play. It is still fun to play my smaller Ukulele’s for something different.

So, since joining this forum I’ve read a lot of posts by so many great people here and I think I’ve noticed that there seems to be a tendency for ukulele players to be either mostly tenor or mostly soprano.
I know there are hardcore baritone players and those that love concert ukes, but it seems that the tenors and sopranos are the mainstream.
I’m sure everyone plays different sizes sometimes, but it appears that there are some people that are solid tenor players and others that stick to soprano.
As I fairly new ukulele player I’m curious as to how those paths were chosen and why.
Have one of each size but prefer concert as it’s easier for me.

@Patty I hadn’t seen that poll, thank you. I’m surprised that the concert took second place.
I guess I’m more curious about why people feel strongly about a particular size. I’m aware of the practical reasons one might choose one size over the other, like performance needs or hand size, but I like what Mike $ said about sopranos, ‘the pinnacle of uke playing‘ and Patty’s ‘Concerts rule’.
That’s what I find interesting. What makes a particular size represent the true ukulele zone for some of us.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, the novelty of the uke is its size and timbre, both of which I get with a high-g strung soprano or concert size. My background is many years of guitar and electric bass, both of which have longer scale lengths than the entire length of a soprano uke. Once you get to tenor, to me, its too much like guitar in size and timbre. At that point I'd rather have the guitar for the additional strings and range.

Last edited:
So, since joining this forum I’ve read a lot of posts by so many great people here and I think I’ve noticed that there seems to be a tendency for ukulele players to be either mostly tenor or mostly soprano.
I know there are hardcore baritone players and those that love concert ukes, but it seems that the tenors and sopranos are the mainstream.
I’m sure everyone plays different sizes sometimes, but it appears that there are some people that are solid tenor players and others that stick to soprano.
As I fairly new ukulele player I’m curious as to how those paths were chosen and why.
Definitely tenor for me

My first uke was a samick concert uke when I first started playing around 2003-2004. Than I got Martin soprano and stayed on that for some years, than finally got a kala tenor than finally ended up with a rogue baritone. And now I’m a baritone uke guy if I had to choose but if I was going for the smaller sizes I’d go tenor.

The majority of my playing is done on soprano or baritone, and it's probably a 60/40 split in favor of the soprano.

Unpopular opinion alert -- I don't think of the baritone as a ukulele. I mean, I don't approach them or play them like I do smaller sized ukes.

I started playing uke a long time ago and early on I feel like I really found my groove on concert ukes.

Oddly, concert is the only size I don't have at the moment. (I have three sopranos, a tenor and two baritones.)

I honestly wish I could sell or trade some of my current ukes to fund a decent concert, but I can't really part with any. None of them are worth much monetarily, but a couple were gifts, one was inherited from my father and the other three have great sentimental value to me.

I'm definitely a concert guy, if I can only have one uke, that's the scale and body size I want. But there are some songs (yes, even the punk songs I play) that sound great on soprano and just not the same on any larger-bodied ukulele. At the same time, there are songs where I have to play chords far enough up the fretboard that maintaining volume on a tenor is so much easier than on a soprano or even a concert. Anyway, like many of you, I often sit down with one of each (a soprano and a concerto/tenor) and as I go through the songs I want to play, I'll switch back and forth depending on what I think will sound best for each song.

I worked my way up: s-c-t-b. Play only tenors and Baris now...

But ironically, I own more concerts that any other size, because they dominate my teaching collection. I thinks it's the best size for middle school aged kids!

I started with concert because it was recommended in the infamous Wirecutter article on picking a uke for a beginner. Started with a Donner DUC-1 and then a few years later when I got more serious, my wife bought me a concert Ohana Pineapple. I also wanted an instrument to practice on at night, so solid body, and was planning on getting the Snail solid body concert but couldn't get one in the US for a reasonable price, and got the Makaio solid body tenor instead.

After six months of switching back and forth between tenor at night and concert when I was taking lessons, I decided I wanted to tweak my learning curve so I was practicing and getting lessons with the same scale - but didn't want to only play the solid body, so this year I got a Flight Nighthawk in tenor, which I absolutely love (though I'm pretty sure I'd love it in concert just as well).

So for now my scale preference is largely based on "this is the scale I can play at night and not wake the wife or kids." Absent that I'd probably be a concert player - although I have to admit I do prefer the wider nut widths on the tenors. I had no idea when I bought the Donner that it had a freakishly wide nut width for a concert at 37.5mm and was surprised at how much I struggled with some songs on the Ohana concert.

I started with concert because it was recommended in the infamous Wirecutter article on picking a uke for a beginner.
I didn’t; after reading that extremely misleading and ill-conceived article I did my own research and, considering my tastes at the time and my history as a guitar player (in the distant past), I started with a tenor. Loved it for a while, then tried soprano and in the end gravitated to concert, the scale I’ve since stuck with and truly love. But the Times recommended the concert for all the wrong reasons, in my opinion.

I didn’t; after reading that extremely misleading and ill-conceived article I did my own research and, considering my tastes at the time and my history as a guitar player (in the distant past), I started with a tenor. Loved it for a while, then tried soprano and in the end gravitated to concert, the scale I’ve since stuck with and truly love. But the Times recommended the concert for all the wrong reasons, in my opinion.
100% agree that their reasoning was pretty terrible. It basically boiled down to "It's the middle option" which, ok.

I DO really like the concert scale. In a few lessons with Viggy I've run into issues since moving to tenor where certain chords in certain arrangements are a bit too much of a stretch for me (and I thought I had big hands!). I also really like that jangly sound that you get with a concert or soprano.

I have no idea where my uke journey will actually go, but I could easily see a world where I end up splitting my time between concert and baritone.

Soprano all the way, and I don't think I'll ever change :). I find the concert and tenor more comfortable to play (fretting the E chord with a capo up the soprano neck is something I will probably never master), but I tend to be a purist about many things in life and usually have a preference for the "original." I remember exploring the idea of other scales in the early days of my playing, but after listening with my eyes closed to a few videos comparing their varying sounds back to back, I always landed on the soprano for its traditional "ukeness."

Last edited:
Top Bottom